What's new

Shooting with Off Hand

I am right handed and right eyed. A few years ago I had surgery on my trigger finger and stopped shooting because of the nerve sensitivity in that finger. It is uncomfortable to even tap the soft keyboard on my iPad. I can’t imagine how bad recoil is going to feel.

So, I’ve decided that since the finger is not getting better I need to learn to shoot left handed. I was wondering if anyone else has trained themselves to do this and how tall the hill is I’m about to climb.
2B7739ED-AAB8-4FA9-973B-24F012721563.jpeg

As a Reservist, I learned that I was cross dominant . . . right handed, but left eye was sharper. It was an adjustment to learn how to handle a "right-handed" rifle left-handed. Shooting was the easiest part.

Similarly, training with the Browning HP pistol was a bit awkward at first but, as I had no previous firearms training, it was a pretty easy adjustment for me to go "leftie" with a handgun.

Obviously, I cannot speak to the aiming aspects with a handgun, but I think the "handling" portion will likely be a fairly easy adjustment for you.

As a member of the tac team we every six months we had a physical agility/shooting qualification test that included off-hand pistol shooting. You would be amazed at how quick you can transition to weak hand shooting, like everything else just takes repetition.

Thank you all for the encouraging experiences. I was never a good shot with the right hand, so now I have a chance to learn all over again. While the classic eye dominance tests say I’m right eye dominant, I find my left eye taking over from time to tim. I usually shoot photographs with the left eye, so who knows, the eye may not be the man issue. i know I’m supposed to keep both eyes open, but I may have to close the right eye to force the left to do the work.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It's always a good idea to practice weak hand/off hand shooting from a defensive standpoint. All it takes is practice. Eye dominance should not be a major issue, as you can line the gun up with whatever eye works for you. Shooting with the weak hand without support of the other is a bit tougher, but inducing a slight inward cant of the pistol often helps (but not Gangsta style!). Probably the biggest hurdle would be to draw the pistol from concealment, but again, all it takes is practice.

It's always a good idea to practice weak hand/off hand shooting from a defensive standpoint. All it takes is practice. Eye dominance should not be a major issue, as you can line the gun up with whatever eye works for you. Shooting with the weak hand without support of the other is a bit tougher, but inducing a slight inward cant of the pistol often helps (but not Gangsta style!). Probably the biggest hurdle would be to draw the pistol from concealment, but again, all it takes is practice.
Crud! I forgot about holsters. All of my holsters are for right ganders. SWMBO is not going to be happy when I tell her I have to replace my holsters. Especially the two custom holsters I waited a year for.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I am right handed and right eyed. A few years ago I had surgery on my trigger finger and stopped shooting because of the nerve sensitivity in that finger. It is uncomfortable to even tap the soft keyboard on my iPad. I can’t imagine how bad recoil is going to feel.

So, I’ve decided that since the finger is not getting better I need to learn to shoot left handed. I was wondering if anyone else has trained themselves to do this and how tall the hill is I’m about to climb.View attachment 1154763
We used to practice training cross-handed all the time. You would be surprised how strong your non-dominant hand can be. It just takes getting used to.

Like one of the others stated, I would start with a two hand grip, and then slowly transition to a single non-dominant hand grip once you gain comfort with it.

I'm cross eye dominant, so in some respects it can be a decent trade.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@TexOkie Shaver,

Ever thought about just using your middle finger on your dominant hand?

I have a daughter who is left eye dominant but right handed. She started shooting left handed with BB and pellet guns when she was 8 years old. By the time she was 10, she was pretty proficient with a .22 caliber rifle. She started shooting a Buckmark pistol at 12.

She is pretty much ambidextrous now and is able to write with both hands. However, getting used to that weird opposite side feeling when shooting when you are very young and beginning, is a completely different animal when you get older and have been shooting for a few decades and your mental circuitry is now pretty hard wired.

Not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying, it's a bigger uphill battle, then it would be, trying to modify your dominant shooting hand and eye. I knew of an officer, who lost his trigger finger when trying to fix an old washer machine for his wife. The washer drum ripped it off at the base of his hand and he had just a nub. He's retired now, but he carried his duty weapon for quite a few years and qualified just fine using his middle finger.

While I realize, his pointy finger was out of the way which made it easier and yours is still there, I would suggest experimenting with your manual of arms with your dominant hand and middle finger and see what you might come up with?

You just might surprise yourself. :)

Last edited:
always keep both eyes opened, if the gun is centered it is not much of an issue.....
If using a semi, be careful when shooting weak handed, slide bites are more frequent (esp. w mouse guns).
Start using a medium size , low recoil piece, and just get a holster for that one.... see how it goes.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You could get a cheap(er) kydex or nylon holster before deciding upon a new premium leather holster for your weakside practice.

@TexOkie Shaver,

Ever thought about just using your middle finger on your dominant hand?

I have a daughter who is left eye dominant but right handed. She started shooting left handed with BB and pellet guns when she was 8 years old. By the time she was 10, she was pretty proficient with a .22 caliber rifle. She started shooting a Buckmark pistol at 12.

She is pretty much ambidextrous now and is able to write with both hands. However, getting used to that weird opposite side feeling when shooting when you are very young and beginning, is a completely different animal when you get older and have been shooting for a few decades and your mental circuitry is now pretty hard wired.

Not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying, it's a bigger uphill battle, then it would be, trying to modify your dominant shooting hand and eye. I knew of an officer, who lost his trigger finger when trying to fix an old washer machine for his wife. The washer drum ripped it off at the base of his hand and he had just a nub. He's retired now, but he carried his duty weapon for quite a few years and qualified just fine using his middle finger.

While I realize, his pointy finger was out of the way which made it easier and yours is still there, I would suggest experimenting with your manual of arms with your dominant hand and middle finger and see what you might come up with?

You just might surprise yourself. :)
Well now I guess I will have to shoot off hand. I strained a tendon in my right hand and now the doc has me in a wrist brace. This getting old sure isn’t for sissies.

Well now I guess I will have to shoot off hand. I strained a tendon in my right hand and now the doc has me in a wrist brace. This getting old sure isn’t for sissies.

I heard that . . . currently debating a Dr. visit, because my right knee is giving me heck, and my left ankle seems to have an achilles tendon issue. Prolonged Tylenol use is apparently not an option, according to the Missus.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The more you shoot off hand, the more natural it will become. When I go to the range, I make sure to shoot at least one magazine one-handed with each hand. It's just something good to keep up on.

With that being said, I know it might hurt like hell, but after you start getting more comfortable with your off hand, make sure to shoot a mag with your dominant hand. You never know if you might be in a situation where your off hand might be comprised, and you'll need to shoot through the pain in your dominant hand.

As Rob mentioned, you might want to also consider using your middle finger on your dominant hand. I'm pretty sure Taran Butler of Taran Tactical uses his middle finger, and that dude can shoot.

I'm cross dominant (left eye, right hand) in shooting guns. When I decided to learn archery I went left handed as I find shooting arrows on the dominant eye side matters more.

Point is, you'll get used to it.

Top Bottom