What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Human woman tries to teach polar bear cubs to swim. It really happened in Siberia
Two polar bear cubs - a male and a female - were born at the beginning of December to a seven-year-old mother bear Seryozhka from Novaya Zemlya, and an 18-year-old male bear Sedov from Krasnoyarsk.

Both bears currently live in Gelendzhik safari park in the south of Russia.

Hours after birth it became clear that the new mother paid no interest to the cubs, and a team of six people was deployed to ensure round-the-clock care of the newborns. Later it was four women who worked in shifts as full-time foster mothers for the cubs.

In nature male bears have no role in bringing up cubs, with mother responsible for nurturing blind, tiny and helpless cubs during the critical first weeks after birth.

‘This is a unique experience for us, and an incredibly precious experience for the rest of the world because in all there were less than twenty cubs raised in captivity without mother’s help during the last 50 years. This statistics is incomparable to any other wild animal like elephants or orang-utan. To nurture a polar bear cub is a task next to impossible’, Yelena Milovidova said a month after the birth, when it became clear that the most dangerous first days were successfully over.

1619018016363.png

Had a cold night here with no snow accumulations.

I’m sick of losing my fruit blossoms so I looked into some possibilities to save them. Started watering the trees last night and when I left for work at 5:30, there was a touch of ice forming on the trees. The ice continued to build, which is what I wanted, but it started to weigh down the trees. My poor apricot was bent over touching the ground by late morning. No real damage really and it protected the blossoms, but we are in for a longer period of cold tonight..... I can’t ice them up overnight as I’m sure ice will form for twice as long a break branches. What a bummer. I’ll just hope it doesn’t get as cold as predicted. Too bad really. I just checked the peach blossom pistils. All still perfectly green. Pear blossoms look perfect as well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Human woman tries to teach polar bear cubs to swim. It really happened in Siberia
Two polar bear cubs - a male and a female - were born at the beginning of December to a seven-year-old mother bear Seryozhka from Novaya Zemlya, and an 18-year-old male bear Sedov from Krasnoyarsk.

Both bears currently live in Gelendzhik safari park in the south of Russia.

Hours after birth it became clear that the new mother paid no interest to the cubs, and a team of six people was deployed to ensure round-the-clock care of the newborns. Later it was four women who worked in shifts as full-time foster mothers for the cubs.

In nature male bears have no role in bringing up cubs, with mother responsible for nurturing blind, tiny and helpless cubs during the critical first weeks after birth.

‘This is a unique experience for us, and an incredibly precious experience for the rest of the world because in all there were less than twenty cubs raised in captivity without mother’s help during the last 50 years. This statistics is incomparable to any other wild animal like elephants or orang-utan. To nurture a polar bear cub is a task next to impossible’, Yelena Milovidova said a month after the birth, when it became clear that the most dangerous first days were successfully over.

View attachment 1254867
That is so cool! No pun intended! I love to look at bears, I have seen quite a few up in northern Michigan.

Earlier this week the Flint Urinal, er, Flint JOURNAL ran a story about a black bear that was killed on I-475 near downtown Flint, maybe 3 miles? from the city Courthouse. Unbelievable if you've ever been to Flint. This poor bear is about 12? miles from my HillBilly Homestead, the way the crow flies.

A while back I mentioned that I thought I found bear scat near my chicken coop, or that a REALLY big raccoon and his entire immediate family pooped in the same spot. 12 miles or less from me, in the opposite direction is a game preserve, for migratory birds mostly, and fishing, that has had the occasional bear sighting, and bobcat. So maybe I do have bear walking through my woods! I've seen bobcat tracks up by the chicken coop, and friends have spotted bobcats out hunting deer... So who knows? That bear may have went looking for love from Saint Charles to Flint!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That is so cool! No pun intended! I love to look at bears, I have seen quite a few up in northern Michigan.

Earlier this week the Flint Urinal, er, Flint JOURNAL ran a story about a black bear that was killed on I-475 near downtown Flint, maybe 3 miles? from the city Courthouse. Unbelievable if you've ever been to Flint. This poor bear is about 12? miles from my HillBilly Homestead, the way the crow flies.

A while back I mentioned that I thought I found bear scat near my chicken coop, or that a REALLY big raccoon and his entire immediate family pooped in the same spot. 12 miles or less from me, in the opposite direction is a game preserve, for migratory birds mostly, and fishing, that has had the occasional bear sighting, and bobcat. So maybe I do have bear walking through my woods! I've seen bobcat tracks up by the chicken coop, and friends have spotted bobcats out hunting deer... So who knows? That bear may have went looking for love from Saint Charles to Flint!

There are a few bears around here, a very few, that wander over from Okieland. I've never seen one, but a guy I used to work with got one on a game camera the next county over.

Critters seem to be a little brazen this spring. The outside cats congregate by the front door on the lee side of the house, and while I was watching TV about a month ago I heard them do their scatter thing. I turned on the porch light and opened the door real quick and there was a big bobcat on the front porch right at the front door. It trotted off the porch and I went to the end of the porch, and it had stopped about 15 yards away and looked back. I yelled at it again and it scampered off towards the woods.

A couple of nights ago the wild child inside calico cat was out late, and I saw it on the front porch rail pretty late at night. I opened the door and walked out, seeing what I thought was the fluffy cat scurry off the end of the porch. As it went over the end of the porch I saw the white stripe down its back, and the fluffy cat was at my feet. It must have been laying with the cats. Thank goodness it didn't spray.

Today there was a Turkey Buzzard sitting on the propane tank smoker about 5 feet from the back porch. I opened the back door and yelled at it, and it just looked at me. There was a cat sleeping on the back porch and it was probably watching that. I got my trusty Red Ryder BB gun and put one in its butt. It hasn't been back.

My racing possum Blaze from a couple of years ago.

1619050546229.png

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yes; luckily the only kind here in the south.

Two or three dogs have been killed by momma bear/cub units in the last couple years, though.

Mostly they just knock over the trash cans; we've had that. :eek2: Eat all your garbage and leave an awful poo.

AA

Lol'd. Are gift... to you. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Great soundtrack. Last soundtrack I bought was of "Forrest Gump".... I'm so old now I doubt if I'd buy anything from today's movies. LOL- unless it's old music maybe!

Epic movies. There are movies and then there are "Epic Movies." You know, those certain great ones that you would/could and have, watched over and over again?

Just a few of mine.

Dances with Wolves? Anybody with me?

Master and Commander
Saving Private Ryan

Heck, I loved Water World and they said it was a total flop at the theater?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Epic movies. There are movies and then there are "Epic Movies." You know, those certain great ones that you would/could and have, watched over and over again?

Just a few of mine.

Master and Commander
Saving Private Ryan

Haven’t seen Master and Commander, though it’s on my watchlist. The others are great movies.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Just a few of mine.

Master and Commander
Saving Private Ryan

Ya forgot one of Costner's movies. It was on a couple of nights ago. It's still good. Duvall is epic.

Top Bottom