What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I have MINOR seasonal allergy issues, so I was unaware of that shot. Does it help?
It does. Dries me right up and shrinks the tissues in the sinuses. A plus is that the corticol steroids make all of my other aches and pains go away for a month or so. I feel 20 years younger! :lol1: As an aside I get so congested that when I blow my nose air comes comes out tear ducts! Very unpleasant...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It does. Dries me right up and shrinks the tissues in the sinuses. A plus is that the corticol steroids make all of my other aches and pains go away for a month or so. I feel 20 years younger! :lol1: As an aside I get so congested that when I blow my nose air comes comes out tear ducts! Very unpleasant...
The "histamine response" is much more fun to study than to experience my friend, as you well know!

Isn't it absolutely amazing how far the medical sciences have come in treating allergies in just the last 30ish years or so?

I have minor seasonal allergies as well. But the season in Louisiana last 12 months.
Same here in E Texas. I grew up in N. Louisiana. Spent time in Fla, Orlando and Ft Walton area, and middle Georgia courtesy of the USAF and all the same. Allergy wise the best years of my life were the two years spent in Izmir, Turkey.

Got mine three weeks ago. Nothing adverse. Now when nurse ratchet sees me in the spring it'll be bad. Usually have to get a Decadron/Kenalog shot for my allergies. Did you know guys can get hot flashes? I didn't until my PA (a friend) took pity and tripled up on my dose for long term relief. ANNNNWAYYSSS, the nurse walks in and tells me to drop 'em and present a cheek. While I am doing the deed I saw the syringe. Is that... oatmeal?!? She does the pull the skin taught and dart thing and it was fine. Then she started pumping that goop into me. Cue me climbing the wall and hanging from the ceiling like something out of the exorcist trying to get away. That one hurt!!!
Decadron or Kenalog, different meds but in the same class, anti inflammatory steroids generally do not cause too much problem. Depo Medrol is a little worse. Way back in the USAF, and in our emergency room we gave some long acting penicillins, mostly for the clap, (VD) A syringe of 2.4million units of that stuff in a thick oil carrier hurt.

I had my flu shot about two weeks ago, the high dose for old folks and never felt it. The next week was at VA clinic for my semi annual check up and practitioner asked if I had had the Shingrex vaccine for shingles, I had not and she asked if I wanted it and I said yes, and got it, my arm hurt for two days. Went by local retail pharmacy we use to get one for the wife, I occasionally do relief work there so they let me administer it to my wife, who has had no soreness. Bottom line, everyone is different.

13 or 14 months in North Texas. I never had an allergy until I moved to Dallas.
We have been in our house for 41 years now, and can probably count on one times the windows have been open. It's either full blown allergy season, too damn hot or too cold. Wife and I have enough problems I prefer to keep inside air filtered all the time.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
This state was on my short list. Of course, I might be indoors with AC for most of those months!
It's on mine too. Just keep me out of the MetroPlex! Some place like Joshua or Wetherford (Gotta try the fried pies!) is as close as I wanna get. Fort Worth is still close by but you can't see it. Of course I was blessed with going through the cultural mecca that is Midlothian (Texans will get it and if you are from Midlothian... I'm sorry :lol: ) Honestly I'm leaning towards a place like Ramah, New Mexico these days. Texas land prices are bonkers now! $200K will get you 100 acres in the Daingerfield area. $465K will get you this and I think I see a workable shooting lane! Sits at 7000ft and temps rarely hit 90!
Ramah 1.PNG

Ramah 2.PNG

Yes, that is 10 acres shy of a square (aka 640 acres). I'd do a tiny home with a HUGE gun room off grid... Plus it comes with a couple tags for timber horses! ;)
NM 3.PNG

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
And the last few days have been hell on my allergies. I'm allergic to anything alive, that might have been alive, that was once alive, that has been near something that is or was or might have been alive ...

Long long ago they gave me that bed of pain test where they ***** your back with different substances to see what you react to.

The answer was quite simple. Everything. Just wearing a shirt for the next week or so was misery.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
News from Siberia

Hero inspector saves two adult beluga whales and one beluga calf stranded on the beach
By Olga Gertcyk
16 October 2020
Alexey Paramonov, 36, stayed with the whales until tide returned, keeping them safe and hydrated.

The baby beluga was freezing in the wind, screaming pitifully as its stressed mother was hitting herself against the rocks, trying to move closer. Alexey carried the baby to the mother so that the female beluga stopped worrying, and covered it with his jacket. Pictures: EMERCOM
The three beluga whales got stranded in the mouth of River Uda on the Sea of Okhotsk, known for its big tides when the sea retreats for up to two kilometres.
‘I got a phone call from a resident of Chumikan village at 4.30pm on 14 October. She said there were several beluga whales in the Uda river mouth after a low tide. I was on duty, so I could get there quickly’, said senior state inspector Alexey Paramonov.
The stranded whales were some one and half a kilometres away from the sea, with a mother and a baby whale lying on the river bed some distance from each other, and another adult whale stuck on its side some distance away from them.
Alexey saved all three of them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
News from Siberia

Hero inspector saves two adult beluga whales and one beluga calf stranded on the beach
By Olga Gertcyk
16 October 2020
Alexey Paramonov, 36, stayed with the whales until tide returned, keeping them safe and hydrated.

The baby beluga was freezing in the wind, screaming pitifully as its stressed mother was hitting herself against the rocks, trying to move closer. Alexey carried the baby to the mother so that the female beluga stopped worrying, and covered it with his jacket. Pictures: EMERCOM
The three beluga whales got stranded in the mouth of River Uda on the Sea of Okhotsk, known for its big tides when the sea retreats for up to two kilometres.
‘I got a phone call from a resident of Chumikan village at 4.30pm on 14 October. She said there were several beluga whales in the Uda river mouth after a low tide. I was on duty, so I could get there quickly’, said senior state inspector Alexey Paramonov.
The stranded whales were some one and half a kilometres away from the sea, with a mother and a baby whale lying on the river bed some distance from each other, and another adult whale stuck on its side some distance away from them.
Alexey saved all three of them.
Wow. Thanks so much for sharing this @Billski !

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Spent hours today fixing a Hakim 8mm semiauto- kind of an Egyptian Garand. Complete disassembly. Sear was stuck, gummed up with old oil and crud. Gun Scrubber fixed.

But getting the front barrel band cap back on! They musta had a special tool. Spring steel doohickey like a K98 sight hood, but. Got dark, it's still not on.

Gun works, though.

AA

Top Bottom