What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
On 9/11 my youngest brother was working at the Pentagon and his office was in the area where the plane struck. Fortunately he had been late getting to work and arrived just after the plane but it was a couple days before we heard that he was okay. He immediately went into search and rescue mode so he didn't call any of us until later.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right, for all of you who politely said nothing when I posted a pic of a Smith K-frame with ivorylite grips (cough, cough) - you'll be relieved to know those $12 grips cracked and broke (thanks, CDNN!).

So I did the right thing and ordered two beautiful sets of Altamont grips! Walnut/diamond for the blued Model 10 and the black-silver laminate for the stainless Model 65.

Here's the bad news: Due to covid-19, there's a 5-8 week wait time.

These cool folks at Altamont apologize, and offer to cancel the order.

Of course I said heck no, happy to wait - and support an American business.

Altamont fans? Pix?

AA

The Altamont grips arrived today, they're very nice!

The walnut ones have kind of 3D laminate chatoyance, both do really. They are slimmer than the k-frame standards and will conceal better. (Now the SpeedBeez loader fits!) Finally, each came with three grip screws of different length, a nice touch!

They're comfortable and change the look and feel totally.

Now I was cussing them for sending both in walnut until I got them out of the bags. Black silver does have brown in it, but even prettier really.

These are the fourth set I've had on the Model 10 in two months, pretty funny! Think they will stay, though. Pix manana.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After finding a set of .30-30 dies at the flea market - and a fine .30 cal RN mold - had the itch to load some .30-30.

Finally found a box of once-fired, since I haven't shot that gun in years. Check. Got jacketed .308 boolits, too. (Still too hot to cast).

Dug out the universal decapping die and remembered: Primers! When the heck did you last load "Large Rifle Primers?!" :07: I make a ton of .38 Special, and used to make a ton of .45 Colt.

Opened the ammo can, and right where I unexpectedly found that 1K of SPP, there were 200 LRPs. :punk:

I'm now calling that ammo can, "The Magic Box." Whatever I wish for, is in there! :a39:

(Short version: My memory is shot and I don't remember what components I bought anymore). :lol:

Notice I'm not even concerned about powder. Something I'll dig up will work in there. (TrailBoss? Green Dot? Goex FFg?)

Talk about casual reloading. The jacketed boolits are spitzers!*

AA :devil:

*also a no-no in tubular magazine rifles. Ah, I'll shoot two at a time.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
wear_mask.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
... and the luck finally runs out. :ohmy:

All my tumbling media got wet in the hurricane.

Pretty sure walmart has corn cob, but can't get there for another week.

And another hurricane is coming in like five days, so.

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This shot made me feel off for several days. 1st time a flu shot affected me.
This makes me mad!

The gauge and length of the needles used today should cause nearly NO pain.

I've given truly countless small gauge needle injections over the years. The deltoid is the usual muscle, probably 99.9% of the time for immunizations.

I think most nurses just inject the shot too fast. The proper (in MY opinion) method is to jab that shot needle in fast and inject it slowly.

Sorry! Lol, you touched a nerve....

FarmerTan

Sorry @BigFoot ! I obviously should have addressed my comments to @jar_ !

I hope you return to normal soon. I am having to wait until November to get my shot, as all you young working folks get to pay for it once my Medicare kicks in!

(I wonder if they'll let me inject myself?)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
This makes me mad!

The gauge and length of the needles used today should cause nearly NO pain.

I've given truly countless small gauge needle injections over the years. The deltoid is the usual muscle, probably 99.9% of the time for immunizations.

I think most nurses just inject the shot too fast. The proper (in MY opinion) method is to jab that shot needle in fast and inject it slowly.

Sorry! Lol, you touched a nerve....

I barely feel a pr*ck when my pharmacist gives me a shot. Nurses suck. No offense George Bailey.

FarmerTan

I barely feel a pr*ck when my pharmacist gives me a shot. Nurses suck. No offense George Bailey.
None taken! The best flu shot I've ever had was from my pharmacist last Fall. Didn't feel a thing.

Until the next day, lol. Wanted to cut my arm off for a few days. But that was my only problem: I didn't get sick, no reaction at the injection site. He may have injected it too fast.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I always get mine around the middle of October, now you have me skeered. I might wait a few extra weeks. If you don't turn into a zombie, I'll go get it then. :)
Got mine three weeks ago. Nothing adverse. Now when nurse ratchet sees me in the spring it'll be bad. Usually have to get a Decadron/Kenalog shot for my allergies. Did you know guys can get hot flashes? I didn't until my PA (a friend) took pity and tripled up on my dose for long term relief. ANNNNWAYYSSS, the nurse walks in and tells me to drop 'em and present a cheek. While I am doing the deed I saw the syringe. Is that... oatmeal?!? She does the pull the skin taught and dart thing and it was fine. Then she started pumping that goop into me. Cue me climbing the wall and hanging from the ceiling like something out of the exorcist trying to get away. That one hurt!!!

FarmerTan

Got mine three weeks ago. Nothing adverse. Now when nurse ratchet sees me in the spring it'll be bad. Usually have to get a Decadron/Kenalog shot for my allergies. Did you know guys can get hot flashes? I didn't until my PA (a friend) took pity and tripled up on my dose for long term relief. ANNNNWAYYSSS, the nurse walks in and tells me to drop 'em and present a cheek. While I am doing the deed I saw the syringe. Is that... oatmeal?!? She does the pull the skin taught and dart thing and it was fine. Then she started pumping that goop into me. Cue me climbing the wall and hanging from the ceiling like something out of the exorcist trying to get away. That one hurt!!!
It's always funny when it's someone else's cheek!

Top Bottom