What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

Shootin' the breeze!

What a hoot!

I do that a lot when I shoot.

Been busy lately. No time for Forum fun. Did go to our old family place in Eastland County on the lake on Thursday, prowling through the thick brushy portion of the place for most of the afternoon, hiking for hogs. Maybe that's a variant of "Digging for Victory." We're overrun with feral hogs just in the last year and they're tearing up the internal roads on our place and the cabin yards. Didn't run into any, but did get overrun by chiggers.

I don't do chiggers well.

Shot some guns late that day which included shooting the breeze. Equal opportunity missing was had with a Remington Model 341 .22 rifle, a Colt Challenger .22 pistol, and a nickel 5-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special. Still, it was shooting so it was fun.

Mrs. noelekal and I went to Abilene to an upholstery shop and Home Depot next afternoon. Chiggers began to manifest themselves by then. Made for a miserable weekend trying to forge ahead on a floor rehab of our living room and dining room.

Anyone know remedies for aleviating chigger itching? Nail polish never worked. By Sunday I was considering trying a nice strong acid or something.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Shootin' the breeze!

What a hoot!

Been busy lately. No time for Forum fun. Did go to our old family place in Eastland County on the lake on Thursday, prowling through the thick brushy portion of the place for most of the afternoon, hiking for hogs. Maybe that's a variant of "Digging for Victory." We're overrun with feral hogs just in the last year and they're tearing up the internal roads on our place and the cabin yards. Didn't run into any, but did get overrun by chiggers.

Shot some guns late that day which included shooting the breeze. Equal opportunity missing was had with a Remington Model 341 .22 rifle, a Colt Challenger .22 pistol, and a nickel 5-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Special. Still, it was shooting so it was fun.

Mrs. noelekal and I went to Abilene to an upholstery shop and Home Depot next afternoon. Chiggers began to manifest themselves by then. Made for a miserable weekend trying to forge ahead on a floor rehab of our living room and dining room.

Anyone know remedies for aleviating chigger itching? Nail polish never worked. By Sunday I was considering trying a nice strong acid or something.
I lived in Georgia and South Carolina and North Carolina and Maryland and Virginia so very familiar with them little red devils. Moving to California or Arizona is the best remedy I found but liberal use of Tea Tree oil has helped.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Shootin' the breeze!

What a hoot!

Avoid tall-grassy areas in May! As you know, you don't feel the redbugs bite ... Only later looks like No12 shot peppered you.

Liberal, sorry, generous application of the stuff that keeps them off gear - picardin, something like that. Then tons of regular repellent. Easy to forget but they are misery. Hiking, I bring a hammock. Not even sitting out there.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Anyone shoot 9mm Mak?

I have a CZ-82, sweet pistola. Great DA trigger.

Ammo's not expensive, just got to make a point to send away and keep plenty.

Saw in a pinch you can run .380 through it. Though cases will split and you'll get larger groups. One internet soul even stuffed a 9mm round in the CZ and fired with no ill effect, though the slide won't close fully. Again, interesting experiments, we do not condone wrong ammo in anything around here.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Anyone shoot 9mm Mak?

I have a CZ-82, sweet pistola. Great DA trigger.

Ammo's not expensive, just got to make a point to send away and keep plenty.

Saw in a pinch you can run .380 through it. Though cases will split and you'll get larger groups. One internet soul even stuffed a 9mm round in the CZ and fired with no ill effect, though the slide won't close fully. Again, interesting experiments, we do not condone wrong ammo in anything around here.

AA
I have a 1962 East German Makarov and it is a pure joy to shoot. Fortunately bought a bunch of Mak ammunition back when it was still cheap so pretty much set for life.

proxy.php

proxy.php

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I enjoy those Eastern Bloc 9x18 pistols. The 9 Mak’s a fine round & a breeze to reload. In the beginning, it was 9x18 Starline brass, but nowadays I load exclusively with 9x19 cases. Simply trim the 9x19s down, run em through the 9x18 sizing die & they’re good to go. I’ve shot 1000s of these through five different E. Bloc pistols & to date, have had zero issues with the reloads. Oh yea, I swipe a Sharpie across their bottoms to help distinguish them from .380 & 9x19 brass/rounds.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I enjoy those Eastern Bloc 9x18 pistols. The 9 Mak’s a fine round & a breeze to reload. In the beginning, it was 9x18 Starline brass, but nowadays I load exclusively with 9x19 cases. Simply trim the 9x19s down, run em through the 9x18 sizing die & they’re good to go. I’ve shot 1000s of these through five different E. Bloc pistols & to date, have had zero issues with the reloads. Oh yea, I swipe a Sharpie across their bottoms to help distinguish them from .380 & 9x19 brass/rounds.

I heard that! (make brass/trim) Great to have reliable confirmation.

I've hesitated to take this CZ on road trips, fearing the unavailability of ammo in a SHTFS. But at half the cost of a Glock, if lost, wouldn't be the end of the world. Plus the CZ quality; super DA pull.

I seem to have a bunch of the ammo and five mags, so I should shoot it more.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have a 1962 East German Makarov and it is a pure joy to shoot. Fortunately bought a bunch of Mak ammunition back when it was still cheap so pretty much set for life.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sweet actual Mak! Cold War stuff; fans love 'em.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Sweet actual Mak! Cold War stuff; fans love 'em.

AA
For me my two JP Sauer's are really interesting. One was made in 1942 and was Waffenamt stamped but captured in 1943 or 1944 in either North Africa or Italy. The other was made in 1941, went all the way through the war and ended up with the VoPo behind the Iron Curtain. You can see where the WWII Waffenamts were ground off and the VoPo stampings added.

the 1941 JP Sauer 38h:
proxy.php

the 1942 JP Sauer 38h:
proxy.php

The 1962 Makarov was an EG Army issue rather than Police and so most likely never really did much. It's been said that by 1959 they had enough Makarovs in stock to reissue a new one every year to everyone who had one for the next decade. I was never sure whether that meant they had Brazillions of them or that almost no one was actually issued one.

proxy.php

Interestingly both the JP Sauer and the Makarovs were made in Suhl.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Mak ammo: heard the Silver Bear JHPs don't open much, but got some PowRBall that, at 1,054 fps, supposedly does.

AA

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Shootin' the breeze!

What a hoot!

No, pretty painted toe nails won’t fix it. :lol:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Shootin' the breeze!

I'm sure, like you, when I was a kid I got mosquito bites, chiggers, ticks, poison ivy, and other various stuff. Mom put a mustard plaster or Calamine lotion on it.

When I was at Robber's Cave several years ago went out to collect firewood and got covered in chiggers. Found some Itch-X at one of the small local stores. It worked very well. Only Itch-X I found around here is the cream...I like the spray.

Last time I went out in the pasture here when the grass was monster tall I couldn't find the Itch-X for the chigger bites, but found some Benadryl spray that works well. Still have some in the medicine cabinet.

Keep some on hand...and regular rubbing alcohol seems to help a bit also.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I case you may be wondering why there are spark plug wires on that side- it had dual plugged heads. It really helps out the fuel burn in a 2 cylinder hemi.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Surprised - actually, concerned - nobody's made a derogatory comment about the Smith's ivorylite grips. Y'all are too polite!

Here, I'll start:

Me: General George Patton carried two ivory stocked revolvers!

Wit: Yeah. No. You're not Patton.

Loved the scene in the movie - George is in North Africa and an HE-111 nose gunner strafes him with MG fire. Patton just thumbs the hammer back six times ...

AA

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Surprised - actually, concerned - nobody's made a derogatory comment about the Smith's ivorylite grips. Y'all are too polite!

Here, I'll start:

Me: General George Patton carried two ivory stocked revolvers!

Wit: Yeah. No. You're not Patton.

Loved the scene in the movie - George is in North Africa and an HE-111 nose gunner strafes him with MG fire. Patton just thumbs the hammer back six times ...

AA
Yuh sure about that? I thought in the movie he used his Colt 1903?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yuh sure about that? I thought in the movie he used his Colt 1903?

I'm NOT sure, actually! Haven't seen it in decades!

But knowing the guy, c'mon. .45 Colt vs. .380 ACP? We're trying to shoot back at a German bomber, here.

AA

Top Bottom