What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I’ll be in Colorado next weekend, but my place is your place! I can leave the key under the door mat. Couple of hours drive from FBP…

I’m impressed! They only invite real shooters!
I apprecaite that, sir! I found a little place in Fletcher so I'll only be about 30 minutes from FBP. Real shooters you say? Not sure how I managed an invite then but I plan on taking it all in and learning a lot!

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I saw an incredible ending to a NASCAR race today.
Ross Chastain ran the fastest lap ever at Martinsville Speedway and made it into the final 4 for the championship race next weekend.
He was out of the championship until just before the finish line.
Even if you don’t like racing his finish may impress you.
If y’all choose to look it up let me know what you think.

nikonNUT

Well, I guess this can't go in the score section yet but the boss absolutely gobb smacked me yesterday. Told me I will have been with the company for 15 years as of December 3rd and to pick a gun I wanted. I told him that wasn't necessary and that things are too expensive. He insisted so I showed him something I liked fully expecting him to say no but he just tossed me the credit card and said "Order it!". Called Euro Optics and did the deed! Gentlemen, I give you my new Vudoo 360 Apparition!
New Vudoo.PNG

As soon as it lands it will be getting the company logo and my name laser etched into the fore end. Then it goes into the company safe until the 3rd. I think there will be a small presentation/to do about it but apprently hard work, while its own reward, pays off!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Well, I guess this can't go in the score section yet but the boss absolutely gobb smacked me yesterday. Told me I will have been with the company for 15 years as of December 3rd and to pick a gun I wanted. I told him that wasn't necessary and that things are too expensive. He insisted so I showed him something I liked fully expecting him to say no but he just tossed me the credit card and said "Order it!". Called Euro Optics and did the deed! Gentlemen, I give you my new Vudoo 360 Apparition!
View attachment 1550040
As soon as it lands it will be getting the company logo and my name laser etched into the fore end. Then it goes into the company safe until the 3rd. I think there will be a small presentation/to do about it but apprently hard work, while its own reward, pays off!
That’s awesome. Are y’all hiring?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I do apologize if this is not appropriate or in the wrong spot but I’m researching the possibility of selling a handgun. a prospective buyer told me I would have to sign some type of a form for some authentication that it’s not “stolen”
Has anyone heard of this? Understand that local laws may be different but I’m just curious as to our collective wisdom is here thanks.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Sounds to me like the buyer is making something up as a CYA in case, for some reason, LE has to check the serial number. He or she could point to the form and say I didn’t know it was stolen. The states that I’ve lived in haven’t required anything like that. I know there’s no federal statute that would apply but I’m not sure of state laws.

Reactions: ctr

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would check with a local FFL holder to see if there are any local requirements, but in most jurisdictions, no paperwork is required for private sales.

Reactions: ctr

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sounds to me like the buyer is making something up as a CYA in case, for some reason, LE has to check the serial number. He or she could point to the form and say I didn’t know it was stolen. The states that I’ve lived in haven’t required anything like that. I know there’s no federal statute that would apply but I’m not sure of state laws.
I would check with a local FFL holder to see if there are any local requirements, but in most jurisdictions, no paperwork is required for private sales.
Thanks!
I’ll look into ffl here. It seemed like needless cya.

nikonNUT

@Rhody... While that is odd I would counter with asking for a bill of sale in case the gun is used in the comission of a crime after the sale or stolen from the new owner. If that happens the process goes like this... Gun does something sketchy. ATF calls the mgf and says here is the S/N. Mfg says we sold that to XYZ distrubtor, XYZ says we sold it to this gun store, gunstore says here is the 4473. AFT comes to the orginal purchaser and says gun did bad thing where is it. Orginal owner either says "Uhm, I sold it" and produces a bill of sale with the new owners information or doesn't and uncomfortable conversations ensue. If someone is worried about a gun being stolen before I sell it I am worried about what happens after I sell it. Easiest way to avoid headache is suggest you transfer it to your local FFL and the new owner can fill out a 4473, do a background check (be preapired for a pending), pay the transfer fee, and know that he is free and clear. I know about implied warranty of good faith but am not sure how it pertains to firearms.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@Rhody... While that is odd I would counter with asking for a bill of sale in case the gun is used in the comission of a crime after the sale or stolen from the new owner. If that happens the process goes like this... Gun does something sketchy. ATF calls the mgf and says here is the S/N. Mfg says we sold that to XYZ distrubtor, XYZ says we sold it to this gun store, gunstore says here is the 4473. AFT comes to the orginal purchaser and says gun did bad thing where is it. Orginal owner either says "Uhm, I sold it" and produces a bill of sale with the new owners information or doesn't and uncomfortable conversations ensue. If someone is worried about a gun being stolen before I sell it I am worried about what happens after I sell it. Easiest way to avoid headache is suggest you transfer it to your local FFL and the new owner can fill out a 4473, do a background check (be preapired for a pending), pay the transfer fee, and know that he is free and clear. I know about implied warranty of good faith but am not sure how it pertains to firearms.
Thanks for the insight and bill of sale issue from the sellers perspective

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I do apologize if this is not appropriate or in the wrong spot but I’m researching the possibility of selling a handgun. a prospective buyer told me I would have to sign some type of a form for some authentication that it’s not “stolen”
Has anyone heard of this? Understand that local laws may be different but I’m just curious as to our collective wisdom is here thanks.
I'm no lawyer, but I'm 99.9999% certain ALL handgun transfers go through an FFL in Michigan. Long guns, no. I believe the ninnies call this the "gun show loophole" but again, I'm no lawyer, I just hire one as needed!

nikonNUT

@Rhody I won't pry into your location but if you go here...
and click on your state of residence the second line will lay out the rules of the road for sales private and via FFL. I chose Michigan at random (<cough> @FarmerTan :lol: )and got this...
"Michigan is a shall-issue state. Licenses are issued at the local level by county clerks. A Michigan license to purchase a pistol or a background check are required to buy a handgun. Only residents are allowed to purchase handguns, though non-residents are allowed to purchase long guns. Although there is no firearm registry, all handgun sales require a pistol sales record form to be filed with the Michigan State Police.". Might be a handy resource.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@Rhody I won't pry into your location but if you go here...
and click on your state of residence the second line will lay out the rules of the road for sales private and via FFL. I chose Michigan at random (<cough> @FarmerTan :lol: )and got this...
"Michigan is a shall-issue state. Licenses are issued at the local level by county clerks. A Michigan license to purchase a pistol or a background check are required to buy a handgun. Only residents are allowed to purchase handguns, though non-residents are allowed to purchase long guns. Although there is no firearm registry, all handgun sales require a pistol sales record form to be filed with the Michigan State Police.". Might be a handy resource.
Thank you sir. A very good resource indeed. Appreciate it very much.

Haven't done a private sale in years. But I used to require drivers license and made a copy. Figured if the buyer objected then no sale. I keep a log book of every purchase, trade, and consignment. Can't be too careful in these times.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I'm no lawyer, but I'm 99.9999% certain ALL handgun transfers go through an FFL in Michigan. Long guns, no. I believe the ninnies call this the "gun show loophole" but again, I'm no lawyer, I just hire one as needed!
No FFL needed, but the buyer has to fill out a form that you receive from the local LE that basically says you can buy the pistol after they do a background check. You send one copy to the MSP, and keep the others. Thant's what I remember, it's been a while.

I recently moved from AZ to FL. I originally had a CCL in Florida but it lapsed when I went to AZ. However, I used the FL to get my AZ license. So I move back to FL and was amazed at how streamlined the process is. I made an appointment for 11:00 a.m. with the Regional Office that handles licensing. I arrived at 10:45 and met with a supervisor who told me that my expired FL was good enough to show that I had the requisite firearm training. I went to a computer, filled out the questionnaire, got my fingerprints done, my photo taken, and was out the door by 11:15! Every person there was friendly and professional. I was impressed by these folks.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I recently moved from AZ to FL. I originally had a CCL in Florida but it lapsed when I went to AZ. However, I used the FL to get my AZ license. So I move back to FL and was amazed at how streamlined the process is. I made an appointment for 11:00 a.m. with the Regional Office that handles licensing. I arrived at 10:45 and met with a supervisor who told me that my expired FL was good enough to show that I had the requisite firearm training. I went to a computer, filled out the questionnaire, got my fingerprints done, my photo taken, and was out the door by 11:15! Every person there was friendly and professional. I was impressed by these folks.
Good to hear!

Top Bottom