What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Just put myself back in debt by ordering a whole home standby generator system. Waiting for it to get delivered. But in addition I purchased a portable room AC unit. Even if my main AC dies on a weekend or we lose power I hope to be able to stay at least livable during the current silliness.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just put myself back in debt by ordering a whole home standby generator system. Waiting for it to get delivered. But in addition I purchased a portable room AC unit. Even if my main AC dies on a weekend or we lose power I hope to be able to stay at least livable during the current silliness.
I’d like to do that next year, along with solar. It looks like my AC will finally need to be replaced. Between it, the roof, the Hardie Plank gable ends, and the painting of my eaves and soffits until I can replace them with HP, I am going to easily shoot to over $20k on house repairs this year.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

The wife and I purchased a good sized portable A/C unit on wheels several years back. I know it cost us around $600. It had two big hoses that needed to be run out the window.

One for outside intake air and the other for exhaust of hot air. Even with the small mesh screens they provided to go over the intake, it not only seemed to still suck outside dust and dirt into the intake, but it formed black mold inside the unit and vents.

With no way to constructively And routinely clean it and keep it that way, we eventually got rid of it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Was outside for maybe twenty minutes or so this afternoon, under the oak trees and with a slight 10-12 mile an hour breeze.

I was too much. I really really feel it now. Glanced at the thermometer on the garage door frame and it was 104. Still not the hottest part of the day. Still sweating like a poor man at a cash sale so that is good.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The wife and I purchased a good sized portable A/C unit on wheels several years back. I know it cost us around $600. It had two big hoses that needed to be run out the window.

One for outside intake air and the other for exhaust of hot air. Even with the small mesh screens they provided to go over the intake, it not only seemed to still suck outside dust and dirt into the intake, but it formed black mold inside the unit and vents.

With no way to constructively And routinely clean it and keep it that way, we eventually got rid of it.

We had a portable one we bought several years ago. It evaporated the moisture so didn't have to drain it and the filter and such never did clog up. It was noisy though, had to turn the tv way up, and it took up too much space by the window. It did cool very, very well. It was the one hose model, but the hose was a real pain to hook up to the window mount. One of these:

It's sitting out in the storage shed for SWMBO to use when she's messing around out there.

I picked up one of these 14,000 BTU window units a couple of weeks ago and am happy with it...much quieter than the portable due to the compressor and stuff being outside. It cools very well and helps out our central air conditioners...we have two centrals...one for the front part of the house and one for the back part/master bedroom and master bathroom. We'll see how this one works on the electric bill in a few weeks...the portable one really helped bring the central bill down.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

What was the infraction? All I see is discussion on portable A/C units?

Last edited by a moderator:

OkieStubble

A few posts have been deleted. Please keep the General Chit Chat civil. Remember, no politics.
Even non-political current events could cross the line for B&B. Please use discretion.

Thank you Jason, we appreciate your excellent service in moderating our forum. :)

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
1st black female Navy jet pilot

ivi.jpeg

Top Bottom