What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have been shot several times. As a teenager and young adult the pond we always hunted ducks on had blinds on both sides about 100 yards apart. Sometimes you would hear a shot and pellets would rain down on you. If you shot up in the air at just the right angle you could drop pellets in the other blind.

Sometimes you are just not very bright as a young'un.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Boy I cannot argue with that!

40 minutes left of this 16 hour shift.

Except for having to give a presentation for Washington big wigs this afternoon it’s been a great double shift. Hopefully no more for a while though.

I worked on my 5 year re-investigation today and darn near finished it in about an hour. They have really simplified it. I always wondered how long it would take the government to figure out an easier way of doing things that makes more sense.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow, 1987. You started a decade before me and probably won't stop until a decade after me. I'm starting to figure out Marty, you are a workaholic, or the wife has figured out the secret in putting up with you? ;)

I have your Christmas 1987 story beat. :) Christmas eve 97' I'm in my 4th and final phase of fto. My FTO is in his unit mirroring me on calls and I am in my brand new 98' crown vic. He goes and grabs something to eat in a taco bell drive thru and while he is stuck in line, I get dispatched to a domestic.

Two other units get dispatched to back me, but they're about 8 minutes out when I go 10-97. It's about 11:45pm Christmas eve, so 15 minutes before Christmas? The front door is partially open when I get there, so I walk in and see this giant biker dude, like 6'5 320 giant, holding an unconscious female up in the air by her neck and punching her in the face. She was pretty petite, so her feet had to be about 3 feet off the ground.

His back was turned to me when I ordered him to put her down and let her go, When he turned and looked at me, I could tell he was as high as a kite, but he just looked at me with this crazy, demon possessed look and went right back to punching her in her blood covered face.

I honestly thought she was probably dead, by the way he was swinging her lifeless body around. No tasers in those days and I wasn't going to spray him, knowing I would still have to go hands on with him, so I immediately came up behind him and wrapped my arms around his neck and started jerking him away from her.

He ended up dropping her where she laid and him and I began fighting. He was so big and strong, he quickly fought me from the living room into the dining area, picking me up and slamming me on top of and totally thru a glass dining room table. As I hit the floor, I was already beginning to un-holster my duty weapon with the intent of putting a couple of rounds into his chest. However, at that exact time, back up arrived and 3 other guys pulled him off of me.

It still took another 10 minutes and 5 of us total, to get that big ole boy in cuffs. Making a long story longer, While we were getting him restrained, his little girlfriend who I thought was dead, woke up from her unconsciousness and observed thru her bloody covered eyes, 5 police officers, beating up her boyfriend. And while not remembering he was even beating her, she went to the bedroom, recovered a .22 magnum derringer from one of his boots, brought it back into the living area and fired off both shots at us.

The first shot, went between my legs and hit the wall, between the dining room and the front entry door into the apartment exiting thru the outside wall into the apartment breezeway, coming to rest and lodging into a steel hand rail on stairs that lead to the upper apartments. The second shot, hit me on the inside of my upper thigh, narrowly missing my femoral and femur, coming to rest on the opposite side of my thigh. You could see the slug pushing against the skin on my outer thigh.

Since it didn't exit, there wasn't hardly any blood, but my thigh swelled up as big as a basketball. So to make a long story shorter, went to the hospital and they simply cut open the skin on the opposite side of my thigh and pulled the slug with medical forceps. Spent the next 2 and half months off work healing and doing physical therapy.

Senior officers at that time would keep coming up to me and say; "welcome to law enforcement." Assholes, everyone of them. :)

One of my first calls was a loose turkey complaint. There was a wild foot pursuit all around the neighborhood until it finally flew back into its pen. I believe the video of it aired on COPS quite awhile ago. :biggrin1:

And Whataburger was free on the midnights too.
My 2nd day on patrol after field training I had a pursuit of a pickup with a camper. Christmas 1987. Driver was armed with a 45 I discovered later. We were only 4 on the street that night and we divided the city into 4. I was on the far Southwest.
Long story short. He wrecked. Arrested. Camper had 1,042 pounds of Marihuana in it. I still have the scar on my chin from that incident.
7th day was a murder and attempted murder at a gang fight.
13th day/maybe 14th was 2 murders and a suicide I discovered. Open apartment back door I noticed while patrolling my sector. Husband shot wife and kid and then himself.
Welcome to police work young 21 year old wet behind the ears baby.
My life has never been the same.

We started the same year, Bro. Wheelguns and Wonder Nines were the weapons of choice around here.

martym

Yessir
357 1st and then a 9mm
And of course the shotgun in the rack in the unit and the MP5 in the trunk.
The good old old days.

martym

So many years ago. So many wonderful memories and a few not so wonderful.

I have 10 years to retirement, I am not an old ****** like Rob is. My wife and I are kicking around actually buying a 5th wheel and living in it.
There is quite a network of campgrounds that retirees utilize for long stays. It’s a pretty amazing organization really.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have been shot several times. As a teenager and young adult the pond we always hunted ducks on had blinds on both sides about 100 yards apart. Sometimes you would hear a shot and pellets would rain down on you. If you shot up in the air at just the right angle you could drop pellets in the other blind.

Sometimes you are just not very bright as a young'un.

When I was a teenage delinquent, probably, 13 or 14 years old, me and a few of my neighborhood buddies, all of us troublemakers at the time, would walk to the train tracks and duck down and hide in the high weeds. We would wait for a train to come by and then pelt the conductors riding in the caboose with rocks.

One day they were prepared for us with break open shotguns and they proceeded to fill our britches with salt rock. We never threw rocks at them again... :)

There is quite a network of campgrounds that retirees utilize for long stays. It’s a pretty amazing organization really.

You definitely have to research and have pre-planned and mapped out, where you are going, what you are going to do when you get there and where and how much is it going to cost to park and camp. I have seen free, close to free and "what the freak!" prices for even one night stays. I've seen some overnight's for $200 a night! Are they walking champagne and caviar out to your RV or something?

Last edited:
And you have to make plans a year ahead.... Unless you are boondocking on state land, which is my favorite...Full hookup campgrounds are difficult to find for long stays at the last minute. Especially if you are looking for a monthly or weekly rate. Just depends how you use your camper.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Kids!

Long long ago in a world far far away I loved to go camping. It was a tent, Coleman stove and lantern in the trunk (or boot when it was the MG) and stop overs at a KOA, State or Federal camp ground. Sometimes we'd splurge and rent one of the State Park cabins.

Now I live at a location where there are lots and lots of RV's, most often found in driveways or in the parking area of trailer parks.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Stepped on something - bare feet of course. WFH.

🤔 A small spring.

🤔 You KNOW it goes in a gun. But which?

🤔 This is going to mess with my mind until solved.

AA

Top Bottom