What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Pretty funny moment today at the flea market.

I'm talking to this vendor, a Vietnam vet, about reloading stuff. A buddy of his broke into the circle, big biker dude in his leathers. Looking for ammo. He was looking for Hornady Critical Defense, and to demonstrate what he was looking for, he used slight-of-hand to magically produce a spare mag with the red-tipped round.

Vendor guy says, "Hmm, these?" and suddenly he's holding HIS spare mag, with the same round.

I couldn't resist. But I moved my hand slow, and let them know, when I pulled out the same rounds! 🤣

CCW guys. We're everywhere! 😁 And carrying the same ammo!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Went to LGS, looking for a new Blackhawk! 🤯

There were 2-3 Single Six 22s, a 44 Super Blackhawk and one blued Blackhawk 357, in 4" bbl.

🧐 A very good thing that they didn't have that 6.5" stainless 357/9mm... 🤔 Don't need that, no.

Yup, nope. 😑

AA

Anyone getting ready for this weeks snow storm? We got 8" last Monday and 2" more Tue. Now they are calling for 10-13" more from late tonight thru Tuesday morning.

20210212_112220.jpg
Was gonna wait until spring to change the hydraulic fluid and filter, but since I plowed my property plus 2 neighbors
I changed it a little early...
Ready for tomorrow, hope I don't need the bucket...
20210213_123805.jpg

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Sleeting here right now with about 3" of something by midnight. Wednesday could be bad as they are predicting 11" in one go!
Need it to get warmer as I have been chatting up an employee at my LGS about a lesson or two. Grant is a very cool young man and he can shoot!!! Video is good for a chuckle...

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
S.E Louisiana, cold but above freezing for now, frozen conditions predicted for Monday, concern for busted pipes and/or electricity loss. I was born and raised up in Yankee country where sub-zero temps were the norm, but this southern architecture/infrastructure doesn't handle temps in the 20's or teens to well.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Pretty funny moment today at the flea market.

I'm talking to this vendor, a Vietnam vet, about reloading stuff. A buddy of his broke into the circle, big biker dude in his leathers. Looking for ammo. He was looking for Hornady Critical Defense, and to demonstrate what he was looking for, he used slight-of-hand to magically produce a spare mag with the red-tipped round.

Vendor guy says, "Hmm, these?" and suddenly he's holding HIS spare mag, with the same round.

I couldn't resist. But I moved my hand slow, and let them know, when I pulled out the same rounds! 🤣

CCW guys. We're everywhere! 😁 And carrying the same ammo!

AA
That’s what we carry!!

nikonNUT

S.E Louisiana, cold but above freezing for now, frozen conditions predicted for Monday, concern for busted pipes and/or electricity loss. I was born and raised up in Yankee country where sub-zero temps were the norm, but this southern architecture/infrastructure doesn't handle temps in the 20's or teens to well.
Ain't that the truth! I've have been blocking off all the crawl space vents to try and keep the plumbing happy. I'll be cracking a tap or two tonight for sure!!!

Kansas is warning people that gas may be shut off due to lack of supply. Try to conserve and prepare. Good thing my house is all electric. In this situation at least. No gas is gonna be bad if that comes to reality

I hear you. I grew up in N Louisiana, and remember cracking outdoor faucets in the pier and beam house I grew up in. Now have one here in E Texas on a slab, all I have done for the last 40+ years is cover the faucets and no problem. We woke to 8 degrees and about 7" of dry powder snow this morning , prediction for tomorrow morning is 1 degree. All I have been doing today is going out occasionally and throwing some cracket corn out for the birds. We also put out some dog food for a couple of little racoons and a possum but they did not show last night, first time in a long time that they have not been here, but it was windy and snowing lightly before we went to bed. I had an appointment with the eye dr for cataracts on Wed. that the VA had made , but called and cancelled because of road conditions.

We had a power outage in the early morning hours, don't know if it was one of the rolling backouts or what. Did not last long enough for the house to cool down though, so ok here so far. I have my big generator outside and plugged in to my inlet receptacle on the disconnect switch.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Well now they are talking about 30 to 60 minute black outs to conserve electricity.

They've been doing 15 to 45 minute rolling blackouts here since last night. Electricity being out for a week or two at a time is devastating for those that are total electric. We plumbed the house for propane when we moved in years ago and never regretted it. Power can be out and we have heat, hot water, and cook stove. Generator will run fridge and chest freezer just fine.

nikonNUT

We have fortunately not lost power but with temps dropping to 1F tonight I fear all the heaters kicking on at once may cause issues. Charging my phone, flashlights, and power bricks as we speak!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I almost waited too long before running my outside faucets at a trickle, they were almost frozen already! I usually don't go outside until after dark to do that, but it had been below freezing for a while.

They've been doing 15 to 45 minute rolling blackouts here since last night. Electricity being out for a week or two at a time is devastating for those that are total electric. We plumbed the house for propane when we moved in years ago and never regretted it. Power can be out and we have heat, hot water, and cook stove. Generator will run fridge and chest freezer just fine.

Not Clapton, but not terrible.

We have fortunately not lost power but with temps dropping to 1F tonight I fear all the heaters kicking on at once may cause issues. Charging my phone, flashlights, and power bricks as we speak!
They are doing it purposefully here. Power shortage I think. 15min to 90min blocks. Have not started yet and as far as I know, no schedule or further warning. The natural gas shortage is due to frozen well heads. Just not set up for this much cold anymore I suppose.

My lights have been flickering for the past 2 hours. I am hoping power stays on because the ground is saturated from all the rain, snow, and ice recently. My sump pump is running regularly. I have a generator and back up heat source, but would rather avoid the hassle.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My sister has been without power since 3am and they expect it to be off for several days.

I've had three outages with the most recent right now.

LOVE my generator.
Was gonna ask how you r getting along. We have had no outages so far.

Top Bottom