What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Man, there's some treasure in that pawn and gun store I found.

Had to go back for a second look at a High Standard MkIV Sentinel, 3" bbl, in .22 magnum. At $400, I feel it's too high ... but .22 magnum ammo has been on shelves here. Hmm.

proxy.php

AA
Who is High Standard these days?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Defunct in 2018...

Which is a shame, they had some very good products. Especially their 22 auto pistols.

Good read:

AA
I find it interesting that there was so little mention of the High Standard rifles and shotguns in those articles. Sure, the High Standard 22 pistols and their derringers were popular but so were the long guns.

My 1951 JC Higgins (Sears) Model 28 that was actually made by High Standard:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I find it interesting that there was so little mention of the High Standard rifles and shotguns in those articles. Sure, the High Standard 22 pistols and their derringers were popular but so were the long guns.

My 1951 JC Higgins (Sears) Model 28 that was actually made by High Standard:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Their shotguns were very, very good! Why I'm looking at pawn & gun places.

But I think recent prices are high based on fears.

Though parts for them could be an issue, I'm not Jerry Miculek. I shoot regularly but round counts aren't astronomical. Even so, Smiths are fixable revolvers, but I've had a Colt in the shop for almost a year waiting on parts.

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Their shotguns were very, very good...
While I do not recall the specifics of the conversation, a High Standard (.22 pistol) collector friend once commented that the shotgun was the undoing of the once “prominent” High Standard Manufacturing Company??

Ad Astra

The Instigator
While I do not recall the specifics of the conversation, a High Standard (.22 pistol) collector friend once commented that the shotgun was the undoing of the High Standard Manufacturing Company??

Nah! They made an ugly bullpup, but simple competition is why, I think ... the article above sheds some light ...

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Mike, while my pal’s comment was certainly declarative, my post was any thing but ... I don’t recall if his assertion was based on manufacturing (quality/dependability) or as mentioned, a parts (lack thereof) situation or perhaps even, contractual obligations that saw attention, energies & resources taken away from the pistol & redirected toward the newborn (problem child?) shotgun.
However, I do remember his disdain for all things HS shotgun-related.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
As is so often the case the demise of High Standard was a slow descent over an extended period. There were a whole series of ownership changes each either promoting a new direction or in the case of the ownership buy-back reversing the previous change of direction. The result was that High Standard really ended up without any identity and as so many others it was the larger companies that survived while the smaller ones fell by the wayside.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a pic. of mine, in 20 ga., that dad bought me in the '60s around here somewhere. Quail hunting gun. It's in the safe.
That's the gauge I want. Maybe a 16. I have always loved the design. I see they are manufactured not too far from me now. Not cheap today. Used ones in good condition are probably getting hard to find!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah, my experience in 16 ga. is completely limited to Browning. It was a side by side. Actually it was only the second shotgun I ever shot. Good memories, killing clays!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Officially an old codger today, I just turned 65. I was planning on going shooting today, but damn it's cold this morning! Maybe later in the day when it warms up. I will definitely be shooting tomorrow morning. All my birthday presents are on back order/ delayed shipping, etc. A new scope for my .223 and a leather La Z Boy recliner. I did pick up a wet tumbler from Harbor Freight a couple of days ago. A good day for indoor home repair projects and maybe some reloading. Life is good!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Officially an old codger today, I just turned 65. I was planning on going shooting today, but damn it's cold this morning! Maybe later in the day when it warms up. I will definitely be shooting tomorrow morning. All my birthday presents are on back order/ delayed shipping, etc. A new scope for my .223 and a leather La Z Boy recliner. I did pick up a wet tumbler from Harbor Freight a couple of days ago. A good day for indoor home repair projects and maybe some reloading. Life is good!

Then Happy Birthday and blast away!

(Bitter cold days are great for casting, too)

AA

Top Bottom