What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Meanwhile, here in Arkansas. "Chris? My machinegun isn't working. Can you fix it?" Uhmmmm... Sure? I'll try anything once! In retrospect using a $40K cast aluminum registered trigger pack as a pry bar was "probably" a dumb idea but it worked! Think that would look good on my resume? :lol:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
It's Eclipse Monday 2024 here in Mission and we expect to get near 90% totality and 100% cloud cover. Still, I hope all the kids will be out and under trees at 1:30 this afternoon.

Long long away and far far ago when I was a little kid I got to experience a total eclipse and it was a bright sunny day with not a cloud in the sky. What I do remember from that day was not anything I saw but how suddenly it became quieter than I had ever known and how quickly it got really cold.

nikonNUT

It's Eclipse Monday 2024 here in Mission and we expect to get near 90% totality and 100% cloud cover. Still, I hope all the kids will be out and under trees at 1:30 this afternoon.

Long long away and far far ago when I was a little kid I got to experience a total eclipse and it was a bright sunny day with not a cloud in the sky. What I do remember from that day was not anything I saw but how suddenly it became quieter than I had ever known and how quickly it got really cold.
Just finished watching. Crazy that totality isn't gradual. I was watching and it was like a switch flipped! Eclipse glasses were suddenly too dark, everything got quiet, and the temp dropped 5 to 10 degrees. I really wasn't that pumped for it but it was impressive! Bluebird skies, a lawn chair, and a beverage made for a neat 4 minutes!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Total cloud cover here so just a darkening with nothing to see. At my sisters about 12 miles away they got candy candy cotton clouds and she used a bowl of water. This is a few minutes before our totality but it went behind the clouds seen approaching so it was the best she got.

2024-eclipse.jpg

And yes, it was like a switch getting flipped way back when I saw one.

Last edited:
I got out and mowed the yard earlier. Had a rather heavy overcast. My wife and I went out about 12:45 and set up. Clouds still moving by, and overcast, About the time it was supposed to start we began to see a few little breaks, so could see some in the breaks, sometime with clouds drifting over, looked kind of like a surreal halloween scene. It was off and on for about 40 minutes, we did get to see total here in E. Texas , or maybe 99%, then the fates helped us and the clouds dissapeared and we got to see it return in it's full glory.

At our ages 78, and 81 it is probably the last we will ever see, so it was a blessing

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
If this were a Man's World, Rodin's "The Thinker" would be thinking 'Remember to leave the seat up!'

When you get up in the morning and put your underwear on backwards and it fits, you know it's gonna be a bad day.

Sign seen on an Optometrists window; "Eyes examined while you wait."

Read on the top step of a folding ladder; "Do not attempt to stand above this point".

Sticker on a JetSki; "Do not place mouth or other orifice over a running exhaust".

Sign on wall surrounding Church parking lot; "No unauthorized parking; violators will be persecuted."

nikonNUT

If this were a Man's World, Rodin's "The Thinker" would be thinking 'Remember to leave the seat up!'

When you get up in the morning and put your underwear on backwards and it fits, you know it's gonna be a bad day.

Sign seen on an Optometrists window; "Eyes examined while you wait."

Read on the top step of a folding ladder; "Do not attempt to stand above this point".

Sticker on a JetSki; "Do not place mouth or other orifice over a running exhaust".

Sign on wall surrounding Church parking lot; "No unauthorized parking; violators will be persecuted."
Sadly, in the world we live in I full expect to hear "You're under arrest, you've had to much to think." any day now.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Another Ocelot found dead in Hidalgo County and more reports of them being seen even in developed areas. Territorial expansion or population increase or loss of prey? As an ex Department of Natural Resources guy I would love to be talking with the biologist on that.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Top Bottom