What's new

Shoes Recommendation?

So this whole dressing more adult thing has me thinking that it's time to ditch my pair of worn-out, plaid slip-ons and get a pair of casual shoes (not sneakers) to wear with jeans or chinos.
I've been poking around Zappos and feel like an oxford shoe is the way to go, and likely in a light or dark brown color, since I own a brown belt.
Any recommendations or suggestions on shoes (oxford or otherwise)?

Love some Oxfords, but for summer I have a pair of leather boat shoes that I wear with Chinos and of course Khacki shorts. They are a little dressier than sandals, but still light weight.
My finance picked me up a pair of Lands' End Desert boots. At first I was not a fan of the look, but after wearing them for a while I really like them.

Nothin wrong with plaid slip ons if it's summer and you pull it off well. If I were you I'd look towards loafers. They'll have the fit you're used to and should work well in a less formal setting. Look for either a dark brown or a chesnut brown hue, and until you've got a good handle on what works for you I'd go in to a store to try them on. I like Nordstroms' show selection, and the prices aren't too far off from Zappos (on my Clarks anyway). Nice people were working in the shoe department when I've been there as well. What kind of budget are you thinking?

Here is a recommendation for a pair of 3 eyelet Doc Martens shoes (model 1401, I think). Go for the "vintage" line, which is still made in the UK, and yes you can very much tell the difference between the vintage line and the now regrettably standard made in China line. Better fit, better leather.

Of course, docs may be a little more, er, urban, than some of the other recommendations in this thread, but I heartily endorse them nonetheless. Looks great with jeans and khakis and all that, too.

Happy hunting!

An oxford is very versitale, what your budget? Is this for spring/summer or winter/fall?

I guess my budget is no more than $100 and I guess if I had to say, something more fall/winter, although I would wear them into the spring as well.

Merrell makes a great casual "Dress" shoe. I have 4 different pair/colors and can wear them with anything from jeans to dress slacks. Even wore them with a suit a few times.
I love the Encore line and passport line. But they are all great and most less than $100 from department stores and you can find them cheaper online. I do recommend trying on each different style though. Merrels are funny when it comes to sizes. I have a 8 in one and a 10 in another.

+1 to low boots/desert boots. An easier transition from slip-ons and trainers and better in crap weather.

On the other hand, maybe I just think that because it's a windy 20 degrees in the street right now.

Clarks Desert Boots go with jeans better than amost anything.. And they are great for sneaking up behind people. $95

http://www.zappos.com/clarks-desert-boot-taupe-suede?zlfid=111
+1 on the Clarks

And not just the Desert Boots.... zappos also carries a wide selection of Clarks casual shoes and boots to choose from. And they're comfy.

If you have a Marshall's in you area, check there. They usually carry Clarks, older models but they go for about $40.00.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I don't know if I'll go with an oxford, boat shoe, chukka, or desert boot, but in any case, I have some good leads.

My go to shoes are a pair of Prada loafers. They go great with really slim, dark indigo jeans for a very urban look, but can also be easily worn with a suit and tie.

The model below is't the exact model I have, but is fairly close.

proxy.php

My go to shoes are a pair of Prada loafers. They go great with really slim, dark indigo jeans for a very urban look, but can also be easily worn with a suit and tie.

The model below is't the exact model I have, but is fairly close.

proxy.php

I've thought about a pair of penny loafers, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull them off. Also, I had considered driving moccasins, but oftentimes they look like they're going to fall apart within a month, and I want something that's a bit more durable. I'll have to see if I can find some modern-looking loafers like the Prada ones and see what I think.

+1 on the Clarks

And not just the Desert Boots.... zappos also carries a wide selection of Clarks casual shoes and boots to choose from. And they're comfy.

If you have a Marshall's in you area, check there. They usually carry Clarks, older models but they go for about $40.00.

I think all of Clarks shoes except the desert boot are horrible.

Take a look at the Sebago loafers at zappos.com. They have several classic styled pair at your price point.

I've had good luck with Sebago over the years, and Zappos is a great outfit to deal with!

Top Bottom