What's new

Shoes cause plantar issues

i got plantar issues and have no known cause except my new shoes. I went from many years in Sauconys to a much stiffer low hiker from Garmont. I wanted to get off the road a lot more so the stiffer hiker as my daily driver seemed like the way to go, especially since I have been ripping the sides out of the sauconys on rocks.

The left shoe was a bear to break in but things were nice for a week. Now I got this plantar thing in my right.

Can shoes cause this?

My thoughts......Sure. Too supportive of a shoe can lead to weaker arches. My pf ceased after wearing Vibram Five Fingers, as my arches and foot muscularity improved.

I occasionally walk a treadmill quartered to, sideways, and backwards to help my arches.

Try those to build your arches up and then the hikers may not be such a bother.

I had some Fila Skeletoes and loved then. Not made anymore. I’ve thought about the 5 fingers. Might help. This is painful.

I forgot about this. I also bought and used this to stretch with (before the Vibrams), which I found moderately helpful. You could do a similar stretch without the aid, but it does make it convenient, and you can do calf and balance work with it.

ProStretch

B257653A-B268-4BA6-9875-E2873EA8714D.jpeg

Ball hockey ball - a very hard plastic hollow ball the size of a tennis ball to roll your foot over with as much pressure as you can take. Can pinpoint the hot spots and apply considerable pressure. A tennis ball may be hard enough depending on how tender things are but i always found them too giving.
dave

Thanks folks. I may look into the flexer. A co-worker just told me rolling her foot on a frozen water bottle helped a lot. I've been doing the calf stretches too. I tossed a bottle in the freezer. We'll see how it goes.

I ended up getting inserts, as I have to be on concrete 8+ hours per day. They've done wonders for me. I tried multiple brands, and the one that worked best for me was Walk Fits. They're not very expensive, and should last you forever.

Every couple of years i can get custom fit orthotics paid for by my wife's work benefit package so i've a number of pairs stockpiled, no issues since i started using them. They do wear out, break down.
dave

I got orthotics, and will use them in some applications. Zero drop, barefooted toe boxes, little to no padding in the footbed or cushioning under them are go tos for me. These are what I have experience in:

-NB minimus 10v3 were good but way overpriced for their durability.
-Merrill Trail Glove IIIs are my daily go to. They have a IV out now. A bit heavier, much stronger and durably built than the NB.
-Solomon trail runners that I might could get my orthotics in if I went up a half size, if available. As is, too cushiony and soft, they offgassed horribly. Won’t buy Solomon’s again.
-Altra Lone Peak 4, brand new, too cushiony and my foot slides around too much in them unless I’m running my orthotics and mid weight or thicker socks. May need to try going down a half size if available.
-Asolo Fugative and 520 GTXs have no issues with their set up alone. Those are best for heavy load hikes, otherwise they’re a bit heavy for walks/runs.
-Danner insolated boots work fine alone, but those were cold weather military use.
-Lems Bolder boots are light and comfortable, but I feel like I’m clomping around in Frankenstein’s monster’s boots because or the toebox size in a 48 in them.
-Bedrock Cairnes (not 3D) sandals for all summer activities where I don’t care if my feet get dusty maybe. Groomed or open trails are fine, heavy brush/rocks I probably wouldn’t. I could have been happy in Choco sandals if their sculpted footbed agreed with mine.

Some dress shoes are fine depending on the last they’re built off, boat shoes are fine, otherwise, all other shoes/boots basically need my orthotics to not fatigue or hurt over the course of the day.

Last edited:
Strasburg sock at night, roll feet on golf balls (the dimpled surface massages nicely) and the stretches. Easy to do against a step or curb.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got orthotics, and will use them in some applications. Zero drop, barefooted toe boxes, little to no padding in the footbed or cushioning under them are go tos for me. These are what I have experience in:

-NB minimus 10v3 were good but way overpriced for their durability.
-Merrill Trail Glove IIIs are my daily go to. They have a IV out now. A bit heavier, much stronger and durably built than the NB.
-Solomon trail runners that I might could get my orthotics in if I went up a half size, if available. As is, too cushiony and soft, they offgassed horribly. Won’t buy Solomon’s again.
-Altra Lone Peak 4, brand new, too cushiony and my foot slides around too much in them unless I’m running my orthotics and mid weight or thicker socks. May need to try going down a half size if available.
-Asolo Fugative and 520 GTXs have no issues with their set up alone. Those are best for heavy load hikes, otherwise they’re a bit heavy for walks/runs.
-Danner insolated boots work fine alone, but those were cold weather military use.
-Lems Bolder boots are light and comfortable, but I feel like I’m clomping around in Frankenstein’s monster’s boots because or the toebox size in a 48 in them.
-Bedrock Cairnes (not 3D) sandals for all summer activities where I don’t care if my feet get dusty maybe. Groomed or open trails are fine, heavy brush/rocks I probably wouldn’t. I could have been happy in Choco sandals if their sculpted footbed agreed with mine.

Some dress shoes are fine depending on the last they’re built off, boat shoes are fine, otherwise, all other shoes/boots basically need my orthotics to not fatigue or hurt over the course of the day.
Wow! You've tried a lot of them! I'm trying to get into barefoot shoes. I've had foot pain since I was young. Only 23 now and I'm having trouble going to barefoot shoes. I think my feet are getting fatigued quickly. I've got a pair of vivobarefoot Porto rocker lows and a pair of moccasins. I wear flip flops and go barefoot when I can. Just got a pair of vibram toe shoes but they were too big. I've read those are good for strengthening feet as you said.

Did you have a transition period that was difficult?

If asking me, I did not have difficulty going to them. Should you, I think it best to wear them for shorter periods each day and do a little at a time. I would use the treadmill at differing angles (quartered to and fro as well as walking backwards and at slight incline at times) to help with not overdoing it in one limited range of motion. Walk on a soft surface is another option, like beach or school running track.

Best wishes!

My thoughts......Sure. Too supportive of a shoe can lead to weaker arches. My pf ceased after wearing Vibram Five Fingers, as my arches and foot muscularity improved.

That's probably a good idea.

My foot health improved a great deal since I started going barefoot and wearing sandals (not flip-flops, those don't encourage natural foot movement). I went up a half size in shoes as a compromise, for those times I do have to wear shoes. Now my feet don't hurt at all.

Top Bottom