What's new

Shoe Shining Disorder. What Have I Done!

This was an odd winter in terms of snow. Hardly anything until mid Jan. Then a few rounds with a lot. I needed long rubber boots for one week. The result was that my Red Wings and White’s weren’t really used a lot (so far anyway). One time my foot broke though some ice and I literally got a boot full of ice water in one of the Red Wings. They dried out fine. I decided to repolish them today. It was fun to do and it might help to ensure that we get one last blizzard this season.

View attachment 1239378
This was an odd winter in terms of snow. Hardly anything until mid Jan. Then a few rounds with a lot. I needed long rubber boots for one week. The result was that my Red Wings and White’s weren’t really used a lot (so far anyway). One time my foot broke though some ice and I literally got a boot full of ice water in one of the Red Wings. They dried out fine. I decided to repolish them today. It was fun to do and it might help to ensure that we get one last blizzard this season.

View attachment 1239378
image.jpg

I do give them a quick going over once in awhile with the Renovateur to keep them hydrated.

I learned the hard way many years ago when my shoes were kept on a rack by a vent which caused some of the leather to crack.

Now they are away from any vents, kept in their shoe bags and get some hydration every once in a while.
I just checked the small shoe care kit I assembled several years ago and found a new jar of Renovateur. Looks like I have a project.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The All-Weather Walkers went through some foul weather the other day, as well as walking over salt-covered walkways.

So they got a nice cleaning, polishing and some sole oil on the leather portion of the sole.

0A5EEAF7-4F0F-4A4F-9889-AC9ACAF97B00.jpeg

C38DDCA3-7C29-40A8-96ED-2C45C9B0B482.jpeg

After finishing up the AWWs, I looked over at Mrs. Gold’s salt-covered Blundstones.

Sooo… I gave them the same treatment as the AWWs.

Won’t she be surprised? 🙄😀

D8DE0FE7-8E92-4E40-8362-CF3C4FFAB12B.jpeg
EF3D1A95-B8CE-40DC-87D1-A04D6D00029A.jpeg
E4185C4C-1452-42F4-8330-DCAAF3CEAF5C.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The All-Weather Walkers went through some foul weather the other day, as well as walking over salt-covered walkways.

So they got a nice cleaning, polishing and some sole oil on the leather portion of the sole.

View attachment 1416847

View attachment 1416848

After finishing up the AWWs, I looked over at Mrs. Gold’s salt-covered Blundstones.

Sooo… I gave them the same treatment as the AWWs.

Won’t she be surprised? 🙄😀

View attachment 1416850View attachment 1416851View attachment 1416852
Those All Weather Walkers are gorgeous. If I wore lace-up shoes, those would be at the absolute top of my list.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
If only shaving soap were so ephemeral. I might have some room to buy some more.

Just got this bottle of Bick 4 yesterday (used it on these Sperrys :thumbup1: ) and I’m quite certain it will be gone before I’m finished with my current puck of Tabac that I use everyday. :yesnod:

8F9EB4FB-9BC7-4FC7-ACAF-A670E4DC412D.jpeg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Applying the Bick 4 on another pair of Sperry Top Siders. This time on a pair of 15-20 year old Gold Cups.
9C4E36B4-3F4E-4BFA-951D-6B95E5DD2CEC.jpeg
998B093D-17D0-4843-9392-13C9EDC955DA.jpeg
95C45427-D995-4C4A-9F8F-62D6CD1BA917.jpeg

Also gave the A/O’s another application as they seemed like they could use it.

See those loose threads?
D9467A34-FB8A-4FD3-B989-795F78B0CF77.jpeg

Just a second…
52C23D27-CF48-4338-BB3B-D1B0687605EC.jpeg

… No you don’t. :biggrin:
image.jpg

At this rate, the bottle of Bick 4 that I got yesterday will be gone by tomorrow morning. ;)

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
You cannot live by shoe shining alone.

Roasted 6 red peppers in the oven on broil. After about 40 minutes (turning them every 10 minutes), I take them out and cover them with a dish towel and let them sit for several hours after which time the skin easily peels off.

I remove the seeds but save the natural juices from the peppers.

Then I cut them into smaller strips and layer them into a container with each layer getting a dash of sea salt and some thinly sliced garlic.

When all the layers are done, I put them back in their natural juices and into the fridge to have later with some crusty Italian bread and some charcuterie.

2B646829-1576-4C3D-BA4A-0CC583F3AE3B.jpeg
C69D61AD-32DF-471D-A109-CE0B02048582.jpeg
7A250D15-64F3-4125-9F13-AD9DA54E89EA.jpeg
F778FD6C-F72A-4C86-B040-92EC936ADCD6.jpeg

Next one is easy peasy but pretty damn good.

Get a Pillsbury pizza crust and stretch it out. Put a layer of Genoa salami, a layer of provolone and spread some banana peppers over it.

Roll it up. Then into the oven at 425 degrees and about 18 minutes later you’re done.
BD6D8330-F9D3-411C-889B-A747A507C964.jpeg
26AD262F-9816-4609-99A8-379A62ACFE2F.jpeg
8FB969AD-7F4E-43D7-A4FD-A4CC954F17EC.jpeg

When you’re done go and polish a pair of chukkas. :lol:

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I wore an old pair of shoes today.

IMG_20210707_134039(1).jpg

They're only cheap shoes, made with cheap leather, but they've had a heck of a lot of use over the last couple of decades. Having mostly been worn in indoor settings that I drove to, the soles are well worn, but still have life in them. As you might imagine, they're comfy too.

However, the exterior wasn't looking great. Two decades of adding new polish on top of old, left them crazed and crackled, and unable to take a proper shine. So I decided to start trying to get all that old polish off, and see just what the leather was like underneath.

Not easy to photograph, but here is a couple of pics of the original crazing.

IMG_20220320_221851.jpg IMG_20220320_221839.jpg

It was as futile as trying to shine crazy paving. Maybe the whole project will prove just as futile, but perhaps I'll learn something along the way.

I dug out my stiffest shoe brush, my tin of saddle soap, and stood over a sink of moderately hot water, and furiously scrubbed away. After scrubbing the second shoe, I pulled the plug in the sink, and it was heavy with black grit, fragments of decades old polish, probably from the brush as well as the shoes. I rinsed the sink, refilled it, reloaded the brush, and scrubbed the pair a second time.

If the knowledgeable parties here aren't already screaming "Nooooo!" at their screens yet, they might do now :devil: ... I didn't wait for the shoes to dry thoroughly - just dry to the touch - before giving them a coat of Saphir Universal. I didn't want the leather fully drying out with no nourishment at all.

That's pretty much as far as I've got right now, but it's clear that I haven't finished the cleaning stage yet. Some thick patches of old polish still remain.

IMG_20220321_003228.jpg

Tomorrow (or whenever I revisit these) I might need to give them a wipe over the shiny patches with lighter fluid, to try to soften them up, before hitting them with the saddle soap once again.

I don't expect or intend to turn these into immaculate dress shoes. In truth, this pair will probably only ever be worn with jeans now, but I'd like to try and overcome that crazed finish as much as possible. Also, the shoes are now of an age and mileage, where they don't owe me a penny (£15 for 20 years use), so even if I happen to cause them irreperable damage, I would be happy to settle for wisdom gained. :)

I've now left these drying with travel shoe trees in (the long spring type), and will give them another look and some more torment when the leather has properly dried.

Cheers Cal :thumbup1:

I'm (probably foolishly) trying to just work with what I already have to hand... for now, at least. I may well end up going that route some time in the future, but right now, a £12 bottle of gumption to fix a £15 pair of high mileage shoes seems a bit overkill :tongue_sm
Thanks Al.

But I say, you can't beat overkill when IT WORKS (and so easily). :devil: :smartass:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, lighter fluid worked like a charm.

IMG_20220321_115155.jpg

There's still some old polish detectable deep in the grain, glinting in the light, even after a third scrub with saddle soap, but the patches of thick cake have all gone.

Sticking again with what I have to hand, I'll let them dry, rub in some Saphir Universal, then give them a coat of Cherry Blossom Renovating Polish, and re-evaluate.

Top Bottom