What's new

Shoe polish or shoe cream?

Do you use shoe polish or shoe cream?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am sure this is the um-teenth thread on this...but I was too lazy to go searching. What's your preference...shoe polish (wax) or shoe cream? Do you use both? And while we are on the subject...do you use a leather conditioner? I have watched countless videos and each one seems to use a different process and products. I have been polishing my shoes since I was a kid...(a long time by the way) always just used plain old Kiwi polish. Just wondering if the new-fangled methods/products are better and no one sent me the memo? Do you have a favourite polish/cream?

I use several different waxes on my shoes , but I only have used one cream on my shoes and all leather goods since the 1960's , VENETIAN . It's the cream Horween Leathers has used since it first came out, great stuff.
vene.jpg
venetian_shoe_cream_vsc_1517497567_cbc50fc2.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Up until a few years ago I only used kiwi polish.
I've now switched to using shoe trees, conditioners, creams and polishes.
Conditioners, I have Saphir Medaille D'Or Renovateur which seems a very good product. I also have some Waproo Leather Conditioner which seems to work well but has a high odor which the wife objects to.
Creams I like Saphir but also have some Woly which is also not too shabby.
Shoe Polish of choice is saphir but I picked up some Waproo Renovating Polish that is really good.

Cream or polish? Sometime just a cream and sometimes both. Conditioner is every time.
If it's fine weather, I'll just use a cream and if the weather is wet it's time for the polish.

Is using more product better than just giving them the once over with kiwi polish?
That's a good question, I'll let you know in 10 or more years time but so far I believe it is better.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I hate polishing shoes so I normally don't. When I do it is usually just good old Kiwi polish. On my work boots I will give them a couple of coats of Dubbin when they are new. I really should take care of my shoes and boots.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Renovateur shoe cream to nourish all leather, and then either cream or polish, “depending”.

Cream gives more pigment, and polish a higher shine.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
There are many "shoe care guides" on the web, but for me the best one (and easiest to follow) is given by John Lobb of England.

I already mentioned it in my thread on Velasca shoes, it is here http://www.johnlobb.com/en/care-and-repair

As you can see at points 5 and 6 it is clearly stated that the shoe cream is the finest and most important shoe care product of them all, while the wax is just an optional.

There are many "shoe care guides" on the web, but for me the best one (and easiest to follow) is given by John Lobb of England.

I already mentioned it in my thread on Velasca shoes, it is here http://www.johnlobb.com/en/care-and-repair

As you can see at points 5 and 6 it is clearly stated that the shoe cream is the finest and most important shoe care product of them all, while the wax is just an optional.
I checked the John Lobb website and it is an excellent resource!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Horses for courses. I still use Kiwi to spit shine my uniform shoes. But I now prefer cream for my civilian shoes.

All of the above... I'm kind of lazy when it comes to shoe care and I've found a process/method that works for me..
  • Brand new pair of shoes/boots get a good coat of polish. This goes a LONG ways in preventing scuffs and scratches. New cars and shoes always get a coat of wax.
  • I keep a tub of Renapur leather balsam (beeswax and jojoba oil) in my desk drawer at work with a polishing cloth and horsehair brush. When the shine is a bit dull on the shoes, I'll give it a light coat, brush and polish. Gives it a decent shine (not spit polish) and literally takes less than 2 minutes. I also keep a tub at home and when I'm headed out for an evening, church, etc... will give the shoes the same treatment.
  • Shoes get trees and stored in soft bags when out of the rotation.
  • ~ every 6 months or so, depending on wear, I give it the full clean (saddle soap), cream/wax, polish/shine, edge dressing (don't forget the edge dressing).
Renapur leather balsam is really amazing stuff. A light coat gives shoes a decent shine and protects the leather.

All of the above... I'm kind of lazy when it comes to shoe care and I've found a process/method that works for me..
  • Brand new pair of shoes/boots get a good coat of polish. This goes a LONG ways in preventing scuffs and scratches. New cars and shoes always get a coat of wax.
  • I keep a tub of Renapur leather balsam (beeswax and jojoba oil) in my desk drawer at work with a polishing cloth and horsehair brush. When the shine is a bit dull on the shoes, I'll give it a light coat, brush and polish. Gives it a decent shine (not spit polish) and literally takes less than 2 minutes. I also keep a tub at home and when I'm headed out for an evening, church, etc... will give the shoes the same treatment.
  • Shoes get trees and stored in soft bags when out of the rotation.
  • ~ every 6 months or so, depending on wear, I give it the full clean (saddle soap), cream/wax, polish/shine, edge dressing (don't forget the edge dressing).
Renapur leather balsam is really amazing stuff. A light coat gives shoes a decent shine and protects the leather.
Nice overview. Do you use anything special for your edge dressing? I always just used the shoe polish.

creams/conditioner are part of maintenance. they'll nourish, and moisturize the leather. shoes will typically buff up to a presentable shine on the cream alone.

wax does offer that extra layer of protection and that wonderful glacage, but not a fan of overly caking up a shoe with layers of wax, so i'll wax sparingly.

Depends on the condition of the shoes and what's needed to be done.

If it's been properly taken care of, a good brush cleaning and wax will be more than enough. For dressier shoes, a toe box mirror shine would be nice.

If the shoes is in rough shape or been into weather, a good cleaning, creme and wax will be in order.

I use Saphir's product, I found them to be great in quality, accessible in price and can be picked up locally. Their mirror gloss hard wax is excellent because it's easy to apply and yielding great result with nothing but a little water an elbow grease. The creme is available in different color to match the shoes, really well made product. Their natural wax also smells great too :) Here's a 4 years old work AE with about a coat of casual touch up wax.

Attachments

• 44290201_249050222636495_203416575719116986_n(1).jpg
    44290201_249050222636495_203416575719116986_n(1).jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom