What's new

Shoe Polish on Shell????

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I read elsewhere, that a gentleman was restoring vintage shell strops and applying shoe polish to modify the draw. I've also seen admonishments to not use shoe products on strops. Since shell is almost zero draw anyhow, and finished to a shiny finish, does it matter?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It depends on if the owner wants more draw with the shell strop. Personally I wouldn't use shoe polish on a leather strop. There are much better oils for leather treatment (if needed).

Some judiciously applied beeswax might have similar results with no effect on the longevity of the leather.

I've been putting it on my hunting boots since the 80's.

Probably not applicable in your situation--but repeated, generous applications of oil to leather will turn it to mush after years have gone by. Since it's more like a wax, beeswax is friendlier to leather.

Some judiciously applied beeswax might have similar results with no effect on the longevity of the leather.

I've been putting it on my hunting boots since the 80's.

Probably not applicable in your situation--but repeated, generous applications of oil to leather will turn it to mush after years have gone by. Since it's more like a wax, beeswax is friendlier to leather.

The folks who make horse shell shoes, have beeswax in their shoe shine kits.

But that doesn't address the issue of
whether or not one wants a shell strop to be finished like a shell shoe.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Just to repeat as many times before, this passage from Iwasaki’s book chapter for barbers.

’Some also spread oil on the strop to soften it, but it’s very common to over-apply oil. In such a case, no matter how you polish the leather it will never become glossy, and it will lose half its edge-polishing power.‘

duke762

Rose to the occasion
The gist of what I read was that he was using the shoe polish to lower draw, not trying to add it. This was only for shell after a restoration if that makes any difference. It wasn't for treatment or preservation...just lowering the draw. I can't remember him mentioning changing the feel as far as smoothness or anything.

This was on another forum that I believe is gone now. I accessed my book mark and reread it. Never did care for that forum much.....I feel like there was suspect info there sometimes....

Top Bottom