What's new

Shoe Maintenance For A Complete Noob

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My setup and method is pretty basic, I have a Kiwi polish, small natural hair applicator brush, larger horse hair polishing brush, and polishing cloth or rolled up tights for each shoe colour. I remove any loose dirt or dust from the shoes with the larger brush, then apply polish with the small brush. I then wait for about ten minutes before polishing with the larger brush. I use more speed and pressure at that stage to generate a little warmth. Better still, in winter when the fire is lit, I place the shoes on the hearth after applying the polish. Finally, I may apply a fine water spray and polish with the cloth or the tights. Sometimes I warm the polish on the radiator to soften it before use or add a little olive oil if it is dry and cracked. I may not have that quite right but it works for me and I find it very relaxing. When I quit smoking many years ago I used to polish my shoes every time I had a craving. I did so much shoe shining that I came to enjoy it. 🤣

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
When I quit smoking many years ago I used to polish my shoes every time I had a craving. I did so much shoe shining that I came to enjoy it. 🤣

Like smoking, shining shoes can become addicting because of its relaxing and satisfying qualities.

At one point, I had a 5 pair-a-day habit but I’ve cut down a lot since getting a Kiwi patch on my arm which releases a neutral polish into my system which neutralizes any craving to shine a pair of shoes.

It was either that or chew on waxed shoe laces. :biggrin:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
One minor quibble, black shoes don't really work with brown pants (or worse, a brown belt). Brown shoes would be a more classic choice for brown pants, but other colors could also work.

I would disagree somewhat. I think black shoes can indeed work with brown trousers.... so long as the style of shoe isn't too formal for the style of trouser, and the belt is black too.

Top Bottom