What's new

Shoe insoles

After getting custom insoles made by her podiatrist to correct foot issues, my wife convinced me to go to the podiatrist to have my feet checked and get insoles made. I've not had any significant foot issues, but love to walk and think this may be a good preventive for problems later. Ive been using the SuperFeet insoles, which run about $50 each and are wonderful support. Any suggestions or experience you've had with custom insoles? My appointment with the doc is Friday.

IME, most foot issues are actually problems with the shoes people wear. Women are more prone to problems because a lot of their shoes sacrifice comfort for style and fashion.

I'm rather cynical about the medical professions tendency to "medicalize" normal variations as diseases or conditions that need expensive treatments. Simplest to just wear comfortable shoes that fit well. If you want insoles for more comfort there are some off-the-shelf gel type insoles that will conform to the bottom of the foot over time.

Of course, some people really do have problems but the percentage is small.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In my early 20s I was into walking and running, and ended up with knee pains. Various medical professionals tried to fix my knees without success, until one good physiotherapist took one look at me and said "flat feet" and put some arch support into my shoes.

Problem solved.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Had back issues for quite a while. Eventually the orthopedic doc recommended lower back surgery.
Then he said: "if we get you in by early May and all is going well, your should be able to get to work by Christmas!"
Wow, my wife mentioned to him that we just start a little more conservative and asked him for a script for a physiotherapist.
Which he gave us, but also told me that he will see me in a few years to do the surgery...
Went to PT, an older lady who had seen her share of patients. She asked me all about my issues. Then asked to walk away from her a few times. Then she gave me an orthopedic heel lift to elevate my heels in my shoes. I wore them for a few days and all my back issues were gone. This was about 18 years ago. Wore the lifts for a couple of years and now I am fine without them.
Sometimes small things do help and one can avoid surgery, especially for the lower back...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Go to a podiatrist and get checked. I used to buy Superfeet, the green, for my plantar fasciitis. Then I had custom ones made after the podiatrist made plaster casts and I've been very happy with the results. They ain't cheap, I paid about half after insurance and it was close to $200.

Hard to put a price on comfort, though. Wish I'd done it sooner.

My wife and oldest both have custom inserts for various issues. The difference it has made for them is certainly noticeable. I think a big part of it would be how much trust you have in the doctor, and your ability to consult with them. I'd certainly mention the SuperFeet you are currently using, and ask him a LOT about the differences a custom insert would have versus continued use of those. I can see this very easily being similar to someone who gets custom lenses made for their glasses versus someone who just picks up readers off the shelf at the drug store. For some people, the less costly mass produced options will work just fine. For others, the custom will be needed. Good on your for being proactive though. Either way, it's likely less costly than waiting until there are issues later on.

A number of years ago I was diagnosed with Plantar Fascitis, and the Podiatrist gave me a pair that costs around $50.00. He told me that I needed them in all my shoes.
Well, being the tightwad that I am, I went on YouTube and found a way to make my own, and I love them.
All you need is some silicone caulking and some Saran Wrap, or the equivalent.
I tried it first on a pair of old tennis shoes. First taking the lasses completely out so to be able to get my foot in and out easily. Then squeezing a gob in the instep area. I have high arches so I put in quite a bit.
You don’t have to worry about getting to much because any that squishes out can be wiped off with your finger. It is then covered with Saran Wrap. Then I gently inserted my bare foot and stood with my full weight on it.

(Later on some of my dress shoes I toke out the insole before doing it.)

After removing my foot I waited about an hour before peeling off the Saran Wrap, and another 12 hours before trying the shoe on. It fit my instep perfectly. The silicone is firm, but not hard and it sticks to the insole.
I've since done that to all my shoes, and have worn them for a number of years with no problem whatsoever. I showed it to a friend that payed over $300 for a custom made pair, and he was very impressed.

My podiatrist recommended Powerstep for Morten's neuroma.
I have used them for about a year and they have definitely
helped with managing the pain.

I've had foot problems since I was a kid. My feet stuck outwards and I'm flat footed. I was the poster boy for foot issues. My parents sent me to a podiatrist and they put me on orthopedic boots, insoles etc.. The whole 9 yards. They fixed all my issues. I've always used insoles since then.
Fast forward 30+ years:
A couple years ago I started having massive pain. I went to a podiatrist and he changed my insoles. That's all he did and It did nothing to help!
I went to another podiatrist. When he analyzed my x-rays he said that my Achilles (on both sides) was rubbing on the bones on the back of my feet. So it was getting massively stretched out. Along with my flat feet, that action was causing pain on the whole top frame of my feet.
He essentially concluded that all the lifelong insoles, orthopedic shoes etc., had caused all that destruction. His theory was that feet correct themselves whether they're flat or not.
Contrary thinking to the old school way of treating feet! So his suggestion was to never use insoles again and just use the regular insoles that come stock with shoes (good shoes). This is something that I would have never ever thought of attempting and found it incredibly unconventional and counterintuitive. Well guess what? Voila!
Fast forward 2 years and my feet feel like new feet. No insoles for me ever again!
I've posted this in case someone has had (or has) these issues and might possibly see it as a solution for them.
LRod

I’ve got orthotics that I’ll wear in some shoes/boots.

Mostly I just wear zero drop (a flat footbed with zero heel lifting) barefoot styled shoes. They work a treat, and room for toe spread has been great. They’re not always the most stylish things, if they work well for me

Top Bottom