What's new

Shocks / Struts replacement

I replace them when the ride becomes compromised. How often that is necessary varies wildly. On my Corrado the shocks last around 100k miles, but on my Taurus they only lasted 70k miles. My brother got rid of his Audi A4 last year with the original shocks still in acceptable shape at over 230k miles. KYB is a fine brand and in the same league as Bilstein and Boge. Don't cheapn out on shocks. It gets more costly in the long run and sooner.

On most cars you can easily check if your shocks are still okay. Push down on every corner and see if the car returns to the previous position without bouncing up and down. Also inspect the shocks visually. Oil-dampened or hybrid shocks will show signs of leakage if they are leaking fluid. Often, only the front shocks will be bad, while the rear shocks are still okay. Bad shocks can also make weird sounds. Spring perches should also regularly be checked, as they often wear or get damaged.

Shot shocks are dangerous, because they can make a tire bounce and a bouncing tire loses contact with the road surface., and a bouncing car can become difficult to control.

hotwheels

Yes,you're right,mileage is not always the deciding factor,sometimes it's the years.My Ford Mustang has 70K on it ,and it's a 2006,almost 10 years old from manufacture date.I'm starting to notice a little sway around corners,and I drive the GT the same way I would a 1960 Cadillac,smooth and easy.I have read many times to always get a front end alignment when replacing shocks,sounds logical to me.KYB has a great price on OEM type kits...

Attachments

• $kyb.jpg
    $kyb.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 72
My 2005 Subaru Forester just had its front shocks replaced. One of them had just started leaking. I guess that poor old shock just had to start drooling when it passed the 256,000 mile mark.

I am planning to keep that car at least to the 350,000 mile mark.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I've owned and built ALOT of cars, used to own a body shop, KYB gas shocks are my #1 go to for my cars.

Koni is by far my favorite brand for value for dollar. I put the Koni yellows in my WRX, lifetime warranty, great struts.

Someone mentioned time being a factor in addition to mileage. That's true. Altough synthetic rubber components (seals. gaskets, spring perches) can last a very long time nowadays, the materials do deteriorate over time. Moving comonents are exposed to a combination of mechanical wear and tear and the relentless gnawing of Father Time.

hotwheels

The Mrs had 2003 Honda CR-V with 220,000 kms on it and the struts went early last month. It served us well. We traded her in for a new civic and I purchased a new CRV in 2012.... They seem to last a long time without needing replacement.

Yes,you're right,mileage is not always the deciding factor,sometimes it's the years.My Ford Mustang has 70K on it ,and it's a 2006,almost 10 years old from manufacture date.I'm starting to notice a little sway around corners,and I drive the GT the same way I would a 1960 Cadillac,smooth and easy.I have read many times to always get a front end alignment when replacing shocks,sounds logical to me.KYB has a great price on OEM type kits...

I'm also a Mustang guy. (I've owned 6 of them) Most recently I had a 2003 SVT Cobra for 8 years that I just sold last winter, and I am currently "refreshing" a low-mile 1990 GT convertible. Late Model Resto is a great source, their prices are very competitive. Read the reviews from users and you'll get a good idea of the kit's worth.
KYB is a good brand, I've used them before in a 2002 GT (and other "mundane cars") and am considering them for the current 1990.

Any local Mustang clubs around your area? You'll get good advice from people with similar cars who have already done this and that. They could alsor ecommend local places to get the work done, or shops that might have better deals than LMR.

Top Bottom