What's new

Shocked By Derby - A Lather Test

Hello all! Figured I'd drop in my two cents on the ol' Derby Shaving cream. I did a lather test...as I always do when I get a new product. I've done the same with soaps and have a review of several up in the soap forum.

I'll be using the same review system as I did there. With the exception of "Ease of Load" as it does not apply to a cream.

Factors will be rated from 1 (Worst) to 10 (Best). 1 - 3 is bad. 4 - 7 is good. 8-10 is
phenomenal

• Ease of Lather - How long it took to get a good lather
  • Amount of Lather
  • Cushion
  • Slickness
  • Scent (Subjective, I know...)
  • Overall - the rounded, average score
Derby Shaving Cream - Lavender

I love lavender. It's a relaxing scent that just does a wonderful job of making a shave more pleasant. So when I saw Derby Cream - I saw an opportunity to try cream for a good price and with a proven scent for me.

The price I paid was $6 shipped...which is not the best deal on it. That comes to roughly $1.71 an ounce. The best I found is on Amazon, where a pack of 12 goes for $26 - that's a whopping 61 cents an ounce. Not bad an all.

For the test lather I did a bowl lather, which I am admittedly weak in. I used a cereal bowl and an Omega Hi-Brush.

Origin: Turkey
Price: $0.61 per ounce
  • Ease of Lather - 6
  • Amount of Lather - 8
  • Cushion - 9
  • Slickness - 7
  • Scent - 8
  • Overall - 8
Verdict: Derby seems only to fall in the lather building. I used more water than I thought I would need, but the result was a very rich, very creamy, and very luxurious lather. Big peaks, creamy, and a relaxing lavender smell gave this cream a big win in the lather test.

Has anyone else used this stuff? For the price it really seems like a kick butt product.

I love Derby with the Lemon scent. It's miraculous on the face! Use a captain's choice bowl with the ribbed bottom and you'll lather it up like a champion in no time.

I have the menthol and lime, decent performing, they were one of the first creams i bought years ago, need to use them more.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
There's really not much to complain about with many of the lower-tier creams, they lather as well as the upper crust and although the slickness and post-shave may not be quite as good, the difference is surprisingly small given the price difference between the top and bottom of the creams.

But hey, I Coloniali Rhubarb has been on sale (Shopping and Deals) for under $10 a tube and it's the one of the best of the best.

Cheers, Steve

Just got in the Derby Menthol yesterday. First shave was super good. Easy to lather and quite slick. The scent is so light I could not make it out and the menthol is barely noticeable. I thought it felt cool at the beginning of the second pass. I'll have to try other scents but the performance is fine.

Just got in the Derby Menthol yesterday. First shave was super good. Easy to lather and quite slick. The scent is so light I could not make it out and the menthol is barely noticeable. I thought it felt cool at the beginning of the second pass. I'll have to try other scents but the performance is fine.

I think you might like the lavender. It's too bad the menthol isn't as strong as one would hope.

Top Bottom