What's new

Shipping glitch?

This was copied directly from UPS's website.

All Tobacco Product Shipments must be made using UPS Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service, requiring the signature of an adult 21 years of age or older upon delivery. Federal law imposes labelling and packaging, record-keeping, and tax-collecting obligations relating to permissible tobacco shipments.

This rule has been in effect for over 30 years.

Both UPS and FedEx have a "sign one time for all deliveries form" of which I signed 30+ years ago.

It covers all deliveries of any type.

With certain exceptions (pricey items etc.), this allows them to leave a package without getting a signature, tobacco products included.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Both UPS and FedEx have a "sign one time for all deliveries form" of which I signed 30+ years ago.

With certain exceptions (pricey items etc.), this allows them to leave a package without getting a signature, tobacco products included.

That's how I have read it to work, too. A shipper can specify a signature proof of delivery, for their protection. It is typically used for high value deliveries. Some may use it for tobacco, but none of my vendors do. IT IS AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE. Which is probably why many vendors offering free shipping resist it.

But I know FedEx will accept a signed sheet in lieu of you being there, provided you accept a waiver of risks. UPS probably does the same thing.

Having a UPS account allows us to to see a lot with our deliveries that a blind recipient cannot, and also change some delivery options.

All I know is that I am not waiting around all afternoon for the UPS or FedEx guy. And I am happy that my drivers leave it where I want it, where scavengers can't see it from the street, and protected from the elements. We're also blessed with a stable mail carrier, so even the USPS stuff gets in the right place (once our PO gets it).

We do have one exception. We occasionally make purchases from the UK (not tobacco or anything prohibited, just stuff unavailable here) using Forward2Me, a UK re-shipping service. They typically use DHL International Air for overseas shipments, and they DO always require a signature. Those are long-distance international shipments through customs, however.

I am very happy with the present delivery practices in my neighborhood. I suspect my experience is more the norm than not, at least in the more rural and suburban areas.

Last edited:

Correct, but the required age to purchase tobacco just changed to 21 this year. The rule never impacted tobacco until now as the previous age to purchase was 18. At any rate I would imagine the majority of people have not signed or even have knowledge about the "sign one time for all deliveries form". I sure didn't, as I don't regularly purchase products that require a signature (until now).

I'll definitely be looking into it.

That's how I have read it to work, too. A shipper can specify a signature proof of delivery, for their protection. It is typically used for high value deliveries. Some may use it for tobacco, but none of my vendors do.

As of 2020, this is now incorrect information. Since they changed the age of tobacco purchase from 18 to 21, it is now required on all tobacco purchases in order for them to be shipped... legally anyway. Any delivery that contains items that have a 21+ age requirement to purchase (tobacco and alcohol) require a signature regardless of it's value.

Again, I did not know there is a one time sign form somewhere. that is good information and I need to look into it.

Let’s hope for the best and hope USPS doesn’t get any bright ideas.

This rule applies to USPS as well. Below is copied from their website:

Do you need to ensure delivery is to a person who is 21 years of age or older? Use Adult Signature service.
There are two types of Adult Signature service:
  • Adult Signature Required service allows you to restrict delivery to a recipient 21 years of age or older.
  • Adult Signature Restricted Delivery service allows you to restrict delivery to a specific recipient 21 years of age or older.
All legally shipped tobacco needs ensure that it's being delivered to a person of age, which is now 21.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
As of 2020, this is now incorrect information. Since they changed the age of tobacco purchase from 18 to 21, it is now required on all tobacco purchases in order for them to be shipped... legally anyway. Any delivery that contains items that have a 21+ age requirement to purchase (tobacco and alcohol) require a signature regardless of it's value.

Again, I did not know there is a one time sign form somewhere. that is good information and I need to look into it.

Not trying to start an argument with you, but can you cite the federal statutory text that requires SHIPPING SIGNATURES OR CONFIRMATIONS on tobacco deliveries?

I'm aware of the change in the law expanding age prohibitions on sales and possession. But I've yet to see any statutory provisions pertaining to shipments and deliveries of purchased products.

A policy statement of a shipper is not the same as a statutory provision. And neither is interpretive application, unless it is expressed in some decided case law.

Just curious, as saying something is the rule usually has some statutory text or CFR language behind it.

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you as well, but I had to sign for my last order from P&C. I'm not going to look through every state regulation to prove my point. I did find this blurb from a vape site, which for all intents and purposes is the same (nicotine shipping).

Due to state and local regulations, adult signature and the addressee's proof of ID is required upon delivery for purchases shipped to certain states. The following states require adult signature: California, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Dakota, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington. These states are subject to change.

So FOR NOW it looks like only these states are affected. You may not live in one of these listed states and that's why you have not come across the issue. I live in California however and it's already affected me.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm not trying to get into an argument with you as well, but I had to sign for my last order from P&C. I'm not going to look through every state regulation to prove my point. I did find this blurb from a vape site, which for all intents and purposes is the same (nicotine shipping).

Due to state and local regulations, adult signature and the addressee's proof of ID is required upon delivery for purchases shipped to certain states. The following states require adult signature: California, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Dakota, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington. These states are subject to change.

So FOR NOW it looks like only these states are affected. You may not live in one of these listed states and that's why you have not come across the issue. I live in California however and it's already affected me.

Ok. That sounds like compliance with local laws or regulations involving 11 states only.

Thankfully, I do not live in those jurisdictions, at least where bacco deliveries are concerned.

I do appreciate that you drilled down on it.

Ok. That sounds like compliance with local laws or regulations involving 11 states only.

Thankfully, I do not live in those jurisdictions, at least where bacco deliveries are concerned.

I do appreciate that you drilled down on it.

Yes, but I would expect that list to grow over time. Regardless it sounds like UPS forces this rule despite what state you live in (my interpretation from what I pasted in an earlier post). Although from what @DE Steve said there is a one time sign form that you can fill out.

Top Bottom