What's new

Shipping cost/question

I was wondering what is the cheapest way to ship items in the US. Most 1-2 # items are about 10 bucks? Just checking if anyone knows a cheaper way? Thanks

USPS is by far the cheapest option. Shipping small 1lb boxes should cost you around $6.50-8.50 depending on the zones you're shipping to and from. You can also try a flat rate box from USPS which allows you ship anything that fits in the box, regardless of weight. I believe those are $7.50 for the small ones and ~$15 for the medium size.

O-H!

And depending on how fragile, just a bubble wrap brown envelope are very inexpensive. Like $5.00 including the cost of the envelope. I ship soap pucks, inexpensive razors, and inexpensive brushes this way. More expensive items I use flat rate boxes, and sometimes increase the insurance on them.

Anything fairly flat like a razor in a bubble wrap full size envelope can go first class (under 13oz) for around $3.50. I shipped three soaps in the same type envelope afterwards and was charged $10.50. Grrrrr. They required priority 2 day. I had a choice of shipping 6 day “ground” for .30 cents less. Good grief. But my understanding is that shipping rates just went up a bunch again for all classes.

Anything fairly flat like a razor in a bubble wrap full size envelope can go first class (under 13oz) for around $3.50. I shipped three soaps in the same type envelope afterwards and was charged $10.50. Grrrrr. They required priority 2 day. I had a choice of shipping 6 day “ground” for .30 cents less. Good grief. But my understanding is that shipping rates just went up a bunch again for all classes.
The third soap probably pushed it over 13 oz.

The third soap probably pushed it over 13 oz.

You’re absolutely right Clay. It was frustrating to have such a jump in price for a measly few ounces. Not to mention, the opportunity to only save $0.30 for 6 day shipping vs. 2-day priority.

You’re absolutely right Clay. It was frustrating to have such a jump in price for a measly few ounces. Not to mention, the opportunity to only save $0.30 for 6 day shipping vs. 2-day priority.
I always used the smaller bubble wrap envelope because it was less expensive. Only two pucks fit in it. Dumb luck does beat planning in some cases. :)

Below, mailing a 40-blade 20 type blade sampler for a stamp :) Tucks will cost the receiver money and a long wait because their too thick for the letter system.

0627181400-00.jpg

Thanks everyone.
I guess it it the times and cost going up.
If i sell something I just have to think it will cost mim 8 bucks to send it NOW!!

Yeah the new pricing as of this year really kinda sucks... I just ordered a package of the padded flat-rate envelopes, I've heard they're good for shoving as much stuff into as possible, or even filling a box with as much stuff as possible and then shoving that into the envelope (because you can fit more than would otherwise go into the tiny small flat-rate boxes).

What are you trying to ship? I’m coming to the US in 2 weeks so can bring stuff over or take stuff back to the uk and ship?

You can also take a box and put it in a flat rate envelope if it will fit. That will cut it down to 7.65 (I think) - allowable weight up to 70 lbs.

So after an unfortunate beginning of using the postal worker in the post office and spending $7.50 to ship a puck I read some great advice on reddit. Using a scale and PayPal I’ve been shipping by weight for around $3.50 as long as it’s under 2 pounds. I highly recommend using the PayPal shipping options even for trades. First class retail includes a tracking number at no additional charge.

Last fall for the auction here I sent out 3 lots, I sent one USPS and the other two UPS and they were all around $12 give or take. I had to resort to sending UPS on a couple because when I mentioned shave products at the post office the clerk asked if it contained AS and I said one of the packages contained two bottles and 2 soaps. He informed I could only send one bottle up to 8 ounces in one package so I resorted to UPS then. The costs were similar. The USPS package I had boxed them up and used one of the priority tyvek envelopes without the bubble wrap(our post office doesn't stock the bubble wrap ones and they don't stock the flat rate envelopes either). Those flat rate boxes are kind of a joke because I don't think you can fit a jar of soap in the small one and the medium that does hold a few things cost over $14 to ship. Bad thing about our local post offices is that they do not have much to choose from for shipping supplies.

Last fall for the auction here I sent out 3 lots, I sent one USPS and the other two UPS and they were all around $12 give or take. I had to resort to sending UPS on a couple because when I mentioned shave products at the post office the clerk asked if it contained AS and I said one of the packages contained two bottles and 2 soaps. He informed I could only send one bottle up to 8 ounces in one package so I resorted to UPS then. The costs were similar. The USPS package I had boxed them up and used one of the priority tyvek envelopes without the bubble wrap(our post office doesn't stock the bubble wrap ones and they don't stock the flat rate envelopes either). Those flat rate boxes are kind of a joke because I don't think you can fit a jar of soap in the small one and the medium that does hold a few things cost over $14 to ship. Bad thing about our local post offices is that they do not have much to choose from for shipping supplies.
If you set up an account on USPS, you can order whatever shipping supplies you want and your carrier will deliver them for free.

Shipping & Post Office Supplies | USPS.com

Rates went up 2 weeks ago. Priority for me is now $7.90. First class should be about $2 cheaper as long as it’s 13oz or less.

Top Bottom