What's new

Shipping aged baccy in Mason jars

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It's been too many years since I last studied physics. I'm curious if shipping aged tobacco in Mason jars might compromise the seal due to elevation and climate changes during travel.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well I guess your tobacco jars are not really vacuum sealed. They might burp at the higher altitudes and then really be truly vacuumed as they go back to lower levels. Air pressure in ski country is usually about 30 kilopascals less than sea level . . . about 4-5 lbs per square inch. I'd probably make sure the lids were tightened at the other end.

All just me thinking out loud . . . no practical knowledge.

Personally, i would put it in a zip lock and mail it, if the jar breaks, no one wants to pick thru glass, masons jars are rugged if packed well but I wouldn't do it. And if your talking about more than 1 jar, then weight starts to play in the equation

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have several jars with bulged tops, so I am pretty sure the bands can withstand the pressure differential at 10,000 feet. I had 2 flats of the jelly jars shipped to me via FedEx from target and there was barely any packing inside.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I store my tobacco in Mason jars. I've got a large cupboard where I put them away from light etc. When I open the door . . . I can smell the tobacco. Kinda nice. Am I doomed not to have any of this survive 5 or 10 years out?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I store my tobacco in Mason jars. I've got a large cupboard where I put them away from light etc. When I open the door . . . I can smell the tobacco. Kinda nice. Am I doomed not to have any of this survive 5 or 10 years out?

Actually, maybe. It will likely dry out up where you live. Probably only one or two jars aren’t fully sealed. Any chance your own a food saver?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yep I have a food saver and the attachment to vacuum mason jars. Then again I keep my pipes in the same cupboard . . . .

Easy for me to seal them all up . . . but is that the answer or do they need a little air to age?

Nothing I have is more than a year old and certainly no jar I've opened is too dry. But on the other hand I'm in Canada and winter is dry and summer is wet . . except the AC in the summer sucks the moisture out of the air like mad.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Yep I have a food saver and the attachment to vacuum mason jars. Then again I keep my pipes in the same cupboard . . . .

Easy for me to seal them all up . . . but is that the answer or do they need a little air to age?

Nothing I have is more than a year old and certainly no jar I've opened is too dry. But on the other hand I'm in Canada and winter is dry and summer is wet . . except the AC in the summer sucks the moisture out of the air like mad.

I saw a YouTube video where the guy measured the vacuum the food saver can pull on a mason jar. I think is was around 50% maybe? So you don’t have to worry about not leaving any air inside for aging purposes.
I let it run maybe 3 seconds and cancel it. Seems just enough to pull the top tight. If it doesn’t I try a few more seconds, and if still doesn’t I toss the bottle.

I bet the ones that seal after 3 seconds would seal just as well without vacuum and just a tightening of the ring. The one that didn’t seal at all would likely never seal airtight and the tobacco might dry out. I go though all this trouble to weed out the ones that likely won’t seal. It also makes it easy to check my tobacco. If a lid has popped I check to see why. So far the only ones that popped are PS LBF and LNF. The top is bulged quite a bit so I assume it’s outgassing and the lid seal is fine.

What you are probably smelling is your pipes and not your tobacco. I do the same thing. When I moved my pipes to a difference location the smell moved with the pipes. I would bet your jars' integrity has been maintained.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
FWIW, Briarworks tobacco is packaged in mason jars and that seems to ship just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks for all of the responses, gentlemen! It gives me a good idea of what I should or should not do. Much appreciated!

Top Bottom