What's new

Shine Your Shoes

I just give my shoes a quick dust-off with a horsehair brush ... when they need to be shined (about every 2~3 months,) I put them in to the shoe-store and let the cobbler do it.

My current brand of shoes is RedWing, I have two pair and will probably get a third soon. RedWing offers a life-time warranty and will give my shoes a "tune-up" any time I want, which includes new laces, cleaning, shining, and waterproofing for free.

I have a fair amount of leather items and if the leather really needs some love I use Wolverine leather conditioner for oil cured leather. I massage it into the leather with an old soft bristle tooth brush paying special attention to any seams or lacing, (if shoes lacing removed), let sit for a few and buff out with a clean cotton rag. I use neatsfoot oil for regular cleaning or maintenance. I wear deck shoes or loafers most of the time so that keeps them looking good as well as long wearing. I typically walk the soles trough before I have any issue with the uppers. Though credit belongs to the manufacturer as well for providing a well made shoe to start with.

Those sound like good tips. I am generally talking expensive dress shoes shoes here that have been through at least one set of soles already! You actually use neats foot oil and wolverine condtioner on dress shoes I take it. I sure never would have used that Ko Cho Line leather dressing on dress shoes unless someone I trusted had advised it!

Those sound like good tips. I am generally talking expensive dress shoes shoes here that have been through at least one set of soles already! You actually use neats foot oil and wolverine condtioner on dress shoes I take it. I sure never would have used that Ko Cho Line leather dressing on dress shoes unless someone I trusted had advised it!

I use neats foot oil on a cotton cloth and give a wipe down paying special attention to any scuffs than wipe off any residue after wearing my dress shoes, I usually polish before wearing them. You had mentioned small cracks for this I would use the leather conditioner as I described earlier. It will remove/dull old polish but it will do a far better job of restoring the leather than polish alone will. Let the shoes sit at least over night before polishing, and it might take a couple of polishes to rebuild a deep shine if that's what your going for, but the leather will regain much of it elasticity and should protect against further damage.

I should mention that these products can darken leather, but I have noticed no ill effects. If the shoes are all ready cracking their use is already at risk. I love these products but I would recommend that you try on a worn pair that you feel is already pretty much a loss to see the effects before risking a fine pair on my say so.

Top Bottom