What's new

Shimming the Wolfman

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
A Feather gives me the best overall experience. I don't think I'm using too steep an angle but It feels like an ABC old style or a New.

3 years ago I wanted a gap similar to the Toggle but back then neither James nor I had a good idea of the number. He thought .48 would be mild but effective. I think it is too mild now that I have tried wider gaps on other razors.
Sounds right. You might really enjoy the WR2 with a Feather.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have shimmed razors to just see if it would help with more blade exposure and there is one other alternative to consider is the KAI SS blade because it is approx .009 thousands of a inch wider than a standard blade =.0045 per side (writing paper thickness for a comparison) and that is a lot of extra blade exposure IMO for a razor. The Kai SS in some of my razors I did not really notice more blade feel yet in my RR GC .84 & RR SLOC it was just a nice bump up IMO. My Gillettes TTO not a lot of change but a very minor bump up.
Some folks have this thing about shimming that I do not understand because where I worked in Maintenance we had to shim most of our small & heavy equipment & some worth millions of dollars, I can reassure even electric generators with coupled steam turbines in Nuclear plants are shimmed or they just would not work at all because of thermal expansion issues that have to be shimmed to compensate for thermal growth in operating temperature formula.
So to figure a sweet-spot for a razor to order from a existing razor brand with shimming for equivalent gap is a good practice IMO. I believe that is what you folks are trying to determine when ordering a nice razor.

Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
@HDSledge -What is the effect of installing the shim on top of the blade vs. underneath it?
@ShavingByTheNumbers did a great articular or thread on shimming in all kinds of configurations of razors and you might find that very interesting at least I did.

Wolfman WR-1 .48 (supposedly) with shim on top feels smoother, efficient, with less blade feel. The Janus on 5 was also better with the shim on top. Shim on the bottom yielded more blade feel than without the it. This is the first time I have used one but it won't be the last for sure.

Hannah's Dad

Wolfman WR-1 .48 (supposedly) with shim on top feels smoother, efficient, with less blade feel. The Janus on 5 was also better with the shim on top. Shim on the bottom yielded more blade feel than without the it. This is the first time I have used one but it won't be the last for sure.
Glad it worked out!

MEGA UPDATE!!!!!! HOLY COWWWW!!!!!! Guys, I'm Mega excited after my first shave with my 1.15 with 2 blade shims (my homebrew "1.35" for now).

Let me summarize for you: UTOPIC SHAVE. Absolutely the best shave of my life and I have been wet shaving for 7.5 years now. This is exactly what I wanted to get from a Wolfman WR2. Super smooth, super efficient, and not having to do multiple touchups like I had to with the normal 1.15.

If I had to compare the regular 1.15 vs the "1.35" I would say the following:

-This is will be a shock for some, but the "1.35" seems even smoother than the 1.15, dont even ask me how, i dont even know how is this possible. Baffles my mind.

-A much-improved efficiency vs the 1.15 (that was my gripe with the 1.15). I needed something close to the blackbird and this "1.35" does it perfectly and about 100 times smoother than the blackbird (but I adore the blackbird as well). No more multiple touch-ups needed (which can lead to irritation).

-Results; a complete BBS, I don't think its possible to shave closer than this (but will try with 4 shims on my next shave to simulate a 1.55). In contrast, the 1.15 was more between DFS and BBS, much less satisfying to me.

I will definitely be needing a real 1.35 when my next turn comes up, even if I need to add a 1.55 later on as well (unless somehow my shave with 4 shims gets even better than this one, but it will be hard, lets see!

I'm so mad at myself of picking the 1.15 on my first turn......... guys take my advice, go 1.35 or higher on the WR2. the 1.15 provides a great shave, the 1.35 provides a DREAM shave, big difference.

Hannah's Dad

MEGA UPDATE!!!!!! HOLY COWWWW!!!!!! Guys, I'm Mega excited after my first shave with my 1.15 with 2 blade shims (my homebrew "1.35" for now).

Let me summarize for you: UTOPIC SHAVE. Absolutely the best shave of my life and I have been wet shaving for 7.5 years now. This is exactly what I wanted to get from a Wolfman WR2. Super smooth, super efficient, and not having to do multiple touchups like I had to with the normal 1.15.

If I had to compare the regular 1.15 vs the "1.35" I would say the following:

-This is will be a shock for some, but the "1.35" seems even smoother than the 1.15, dont even ask me how, i dont even know how is this possible. Baffles my mind.

-A much-improved efficiency vs the 1.15 (that was my gripe with the 1.15). I needed something close to the blackbird and this "1.35" does it perfectly and about 100 times smoother than the blackbird (but I adore the blackbird as well). No more multiple touch-ups needed (which can lead to irritation).

-Results; a complete BBS, I don't think its possible to shave closer than this (but will try with 4 shims on my next shave to simulate a 1.55). In contrast, the 1.15 was more between DFS and BBS, much less satisfying to me.

I will definitely be needing a real 1.35 when my next turn comes up, even if I need to add a 1.55 later on as well (unless somehow my shave with 4 shims gets even better than this one, but it will be hard, lets see!

I'm so mad at myself of picking the 1.15 on my first turn......... guys take my advice, go 1.35 or higher on the WR2. the 1.15 provides a great shave, the 1.35 provides a DREAM shave, big difference.
Great to hear — what blade did you use?

Great to hear — what blade did you use?
I used a Wizamet SI (Love these) and used a steep angle. I have never gotten this good of a shave. I mean NEVER. Now I'm here pondering if I should sell my remaining razors (Timeless 95 and Blackbird). I dont really want to use anything else after the results today : (

Can't wait to get a real 1.35 or 1.55.

Hannah's Dad

I used a Wizamet SI (Love these) and used a steep angle. I have never gotten this good of a shave. I mean NEVER. Now I'm here pondering if I should sell my remaining razors (Timeless 95 and Blackbird). I dont really want to use anything else after the results today : (

Can't wait to get a real 1.35 or 1.55.
To me, the Blackbird deserves to be in any den. The Timeless ...... ?

To me, the Blackbird deserves to be in any den. The Timeless ...... ?
I know I might be over-reacting due to this dream-like shave (should keep them both to variety also and probably will) but this experience has totally shaken my thoughts of what a perfect shave actually is.

Update #2 - Decided to go 3 shims to make my WR2 1.15, a simulated 1.45. Decided to only go 3 shims vs 4, due to many said there is a marked difference between 1.35 and 1.45. Now into the shave:

The "1.45" definitely steps up a good notch on blade feel over the 1.35, as well in the aggressive feel during the shave (i was shaving a bit more cautious with this one, vs the brainless shave I could do with the "1.35". Nonetheless, the 1.45 did not bite at all during the shave, it was just after the shave that I felt my face was a bit raw for about 20 mins after the shave. This raw feeling lasted very little but it was accompanied by a Straight Razor-like BBS. After the 20 mins, all I feel is baby smooth face and I'm even wondering if the shave is so close, that I might not even grow hair again lol :c9:

I have gotten a few Barber shaves and this would be the equivalent to that, from memory. No other DE razor has come close to this feeling, ever. (Note: I also noted the shims got a bit separated once I closed the Cap and locked the handle, so this 1.45, might be a bit more, like 1.50).

I'm so glad I only did 3 shims, now I can 100% attest the 1.45 would be my maximum upper limit on the WR2. There is no way to shave deeper than this. Now I have narrowed my decision between 1.35 SB or 1.45 SB (or maybe a DC 1.35/1.45).

I strongly recommend to all owners of the WR2 to use shims to get an idea of how a higher gap would feel and/or perform on your face.

I will do a few more alternate shaves between the simulated 1.35 and 1.45 to get to a final decision after. This has been so much fun for me!

Also wanted to do a brief comparison of the simulated 1.35 and 1.45 vs the mighty Blackbird, since I know is a much-requested comparison.

The 1.35 has bit less blade feel than the blackbird, but slightly more efficient (longer-lasting BBS, bit closer shave)

The 1.45 has maybe a bit more blade feel than the blackbird (just by a touch) but its smoother during the shave. Of course, is much more efficient than the blackbird.

So in terms of Blade feel, a Blackbird would be akin to a "1.40" in the WR2; in terms of shave results and efficiency, the blackbird would be akin to a "1.30" in the WR2. That would be my best estimate. Given that, people that love the blackbird will equally love either 1.35 or 1.45 for sure.

Top Bottom