What's new

Shimming the Wolfman

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This morning, for the second day in a row, I shimmed my Wolfman SS WR2 1.25mm SB with 3 shims, and proceeded to experience the smoothest and most efficient two-pass shave I’ve ever had.

This experiment in shimming an already large gapped razor has me reconsidering my need for a ‘mild’ shaver at all. My Paradigm 17-4 might become the next victim of den-thinning, along with a few others.

I used GD Pre-shave, M&M Claddagh (soft base) soap, a Personna Blue (2) blade and one of my three @Graydog synthetic brushes.

The M&M lather was, as usual, slick, stable and comfortable. The first pass (WTG) was stunning — I could not feel the blade. All I felt was the Wolf gliding north to south on my face and neck. I used a very, very steep angle on this pass. (Think holding the razor handle parallel to the face and lifting the handle maybe a 1/2 inch.) And yet, there was no pulling, no scraping, no feeling of drag. Just a buttery smooth walk in the park.

When I rinsed, my face felt as if I had done 3 passes already. Crazy close.

But, I still had that wonderful soap waiting for another run, so I lathered again (this M&M just keeps building during face-lathering), and went across the grain on my cheeks and south to north on my neck. Same buttery smoothness and very little audible evidence.

The second (and final) rinse revealed a remarkable result. Ordinarily, I would still have stubble if I brushed my hand upward on my cheeks, which meant a third pass was required. But not today. This 3-shimmed Wolf mowed it all down in 2 ridiculously comfortable passes.

I applied the M&M aftershave (with menthol and alcohol) and I knew that I had achieved closeness nirvana.

I encourage those who fear higher gaps to set aside your fears and experiment. Add a shim or two (or three) to a razor that you already think is ‘too aggressive’, and ride it steep with a fresh blade. You might just experience an epiphany.

Attachments

• BAFA8C2B-42B8-46D9-B468-8F619FCE2AD9.jpeg
    BAFA8C2B-42B8-46D9-B468-8F619FCE2AD9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • 34FEF422-ABB9-4C84-8231-11DE05720BC6.jpeg
    34FEF422-ABB9-4C84-8231-11DE05720BC6.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 0B94132C-0C3B-4BF2-9F99-3D9468582689.jpeg
    0B94132C-0C3B-4BF2-9F99-3D9468582689.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 148
  • E257E197-6581-4B68-87BF-6A4B641AB88C.jpeg
    E257E197-6581-4B68-87BF-6A4B641AB88C.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 142

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Congrats, Dan -- sounds like you've really discovered the optimum kit and setup for you!!! Your experiences (and a few of my recent ones) have had me really leaning towards a steeper angle. I've been tunneling through an SE rabbit hole for months now, and as I re-discover my DE razors, I need to remember to "get off the cap" and bring that handle down.

Hannah's Dad

Congrats, Dan -- sounds like you've really discovered the optimum kit and setup for you!!! Your experiences (and a few of my recent ones) have had me really leaning towards a steeper angle. I've been tunneling through an SE rabbit hole for months now, and as I re-discover my DE razors, I need to remember to "get off the cap" and bring that handle down.
Glad to hear it, Fred!

This morning, for the second day in a row, I shimmed my Wolfman SS WR2 1.25mm SB with 3 shims, and proceeded to experience the smoothest and most efficient two-pass shave I’ve ever had.

This experiment in shimming an already large gapped razor has me reconsidering my need for a ‘mild’ shaver at all. My Paradigm 17-4 might become the next victim of den-thinning, along with a few others.

I used GD Pre-shave, M&M Claddagh (soft base) soap, a Personna Blue (2) blade and one of my three @Graydog synthetic brushes.

The M&M lather was, as usual, slick, stable and comfortable. The first pass (WTG) was stunning — I could not feel the blade. All I felt was the Wolf gliding north to south on my face and neck. I used a very, very steep angle on this pass. (Think holding the razor handle parallel to the face and lifting the handle maybe a 1/2 inch.) And yet, there was no pulling, no scraping, no feeling of drag. Just a buttery smooth walk in the park.

But, I still had that wonderful soap waiting for another run , so I lathered again (this M&M just keeps building during face-lathering), and went across the grain on my cheeks and south to north on my neck. Same buttery smoothness and very little audible evidence.

The second (and final) rinse revealed a remarkable result. Ordinarily, I would still have stubble if I brushed my hand upward on my cheeks, which meant a third pass was required. But not today. This 3-shimmed Wolf mowed it all down in 2 ridiculously comfortable passes.

I applied the M&M aftershave (with menthol and alcohol) and I knew that I had achieved closeness nirvana.

I encourage those who fear higher gaps to set aside your fears and experiment. Add a shim or two (or three) to a razor that you already think is ‘too aggressive’, and ride it steep with a fresh blade. You might just experience an epiphany.

WOW!! Thanks for sharing the results! :a14: :a14::a14:

Credit card shim?

Or any thin plastic sheet that you can cut into shape. People generally used old debit/credit cards.

full

A danged credit card shim! Duh...**light bulb emoji*

I shimmed a 135 one time, just because. I didn't like the slivers of blade scraps. And I didn't like the idea of a cut edge being clamped down on my gear. However, a thin plastic shim might just be aight! Seems like some entrepreneurial spirit might just make up a "shim kit" of 1 to 4 shims in increasing thickness.

Steep angle shaving is the best shaving. Logic would tell you the blade should scrape hair off, but it doesn't.

Good work for the cause, Dan. Typical.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great information!

Do you trim the edges off of the blades you use as shims so the shims don't interfere with the shaving edge of the main blade?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Dan have you tried using shims with The other Razors that you have? Just curious.

But, I still had that wonderful soap waiting for another run, so I lathered again (this M&M just keeps building during face-lathering), and went across the grain on my cheeks and south to north on my neck. Same buttery smoothness and very little audible evidence.

Hannah's Dad

A danged credit card shim! Duh...**light bulb emoji*

I shimmed a 135 one time, just because. I didn't like the slivers of blade scraps. And I didn't like the idea of a cut edge being clamped down on my gear. However, a thin plastic shim might just be aight! Seems like some entrepreneurial spirit might just make up a "shim kit" of 1 to 4 shims in increasing thickness.

Steep angle shaving is the best shaving. Logic would tell you the blade should scrape hair off, but it doesn't.

Good work for the cause, Dan. Typical.
Thanks, James. Perhaps a 1.55 would suit me best.

Very enlightening, thank you for sharing. You helped me by recommending a steep angle with my '34 Aristocrat. I need to try steep angles with my other razors, & perhaps shims as well.

Hannah's Dad

Dan have you tried using shims with The other Razors that you have? Just curious.
Steve, I’ve shimmed other razors (single shim), even TTOs in the past. I am going to try one or two on the Paradigm 17-4. Have you shimmed, Steve?

Hannah's Dad

Very enlightening, thank you for sharing. You helped me by recommending a steep angle with my '34 Aristocrat. I need to try steep angles with my other razors, & perhaps shims as well.
Excellent, David. I’ll be eager to hear of your thoughts and conclusions.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Steve, I’ve shimmed other razors (single shim), even TTOs in the past. I am going to try one or two on the Paradigm 17-4. Have you shimmed, Steve?
I have in the past messed around with some Vintage Gillette Razors.
I am thinking of giving it a try with the RFB
and see how it goes. Maybe tomorrow.
Hey Dan
IMG_20190928_163251.jpg

Top Bottom