What's new

Shimming Explained

This is a short report on my experience with shimming. I have been using DE razors for about 28 years. Originally, I started shaving with straights but they are just too much of a pain and I can get just as great shaves from DEs with much more comfort.

This is my experience and opinion based on the following:

1. Visual reference.
2. Measured gap and exposure.
3. Quality of shave.

First, not all razors benefit from shimming. Second, one shim is all you need in order to experience a difference in the quality of the shave.

A DE shim is nothing but a used blade with the cutting edges removed. I will discuss to cuts: A deep cut where you end up with a narrow shim, and a shallow cut where only the sharp portion of the blade is removed.

There are three ways you can shim: By placing the narrow shim between the top cap and the blade, by using the wide shim between the blade and the bottom plate, and by placing the narrow shim under the blade.

Only razors with 'free-floating' blades will benefit from shimming. By free floating I mean any razor in where the blade is not supported on the bottom; ex. 34s, adjustables, 89s, and all their clones and copies. Razors in which the blade rests on the bottom plate, like most open comb razors, will not benefit from shimming.

A wide shim placed under the blade will not cause such a dramatic difference in blade gap in order to change the quality of the shave. However, such shim will provide more support of the blade and hence reduce flex and flutter; this is where you will feel some benefits, mostly a feel of a more precise shave. It will not make the razor more or less aggressive, just a bit smoother.

A narrow shim placed over the blade will provide a much more drastic change in the shave. Such shim will change the blade angle (by flattening the blade) and provide a bit more exposure hence making the razor more aggressive.

A narrow shim placed under the blade might make the razor a bit milder by pushing the blade more in and hence reducing exposure. This is however highly depended on the shape of the top cap.

So here is my take. If you like the way your free-floater shaves, just add a wide shim on the bottom plate. If you want a bid more aggressiveness with the benefit of added stiffness, then place the narrow shim on the top plate.

Here are some examples:

34C and 89: The narrow shim under the top plate makes the razor more aggressive but still smooth; I like this a lot as I find the 34C to be a bit too mild. A wide shim under the blade will only improve the feel of the shave without giving extra aggressiveness.

R41: A wide shim under the blade makes the razor much smother without adding extra aggressiveness, not that it needs it!

Fatip: No difference.

Ikon open comb: No difference.

39C: Very little difference, I'd leave it alone.

Vintage Tech and clones: See 34C.

Other open combs with smooth bottom plate: No difference.

I have experimented with more shims and even washers but honestly changing the gap on most razors will result in a harsher shave not a closer or smoother shave. I tried two washers on my 34C and they gave it a blade gap on par with a Progress at setting 5 and the shave was very, very aggressive but not smooth at all.

Experiment on your own and report your results!

Hi,

The razor which makes the most sense to shim is the Gillette Old Type. This is because the original blades were thicker than modern blades. By trimming off just the cutting edges of a modern blade to make a shim, and setting it on top of the baseplate and under a working blade, one puts the cutting edge pretty close to where it would have been back in the day. This makes the OT work better than it does when using a modern thin blade by itself.

Stan

Interesting post. I don't agree with his idea that the shim should go on top of the blade in a Tech. Putting it under the blade works much better. I shave with an old type with two shims below the blade and it doesn't make it rough at all. That comment that it makes it a rougher shave is really a YMMV thing.

As to his observations about how to use shims in new razors I will have to defer to him, because I don't own a newly made razor of any type. I have borrowed and used a few, but I didn't experiment with them.

Changing the blade gap definitely does not necessarily make for a harsher shave, for some with thick hair it makes a more comfortable shave. Shims are useful and fun to use on ANY three piece, TTO, or adjustable razor. I have tried and used them in all three. Some razors benefit from it and some don't it is really a YMMV thing. :thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Like Dion, I don't agree with placing the shim between the top cap and the blade. I tried with a few razors and the results weren't satisfactory, IMO. If that is working for you, great. I didn't like the angle change (as you said it flattens the blade). Just my opinion anyway.

I also don't agree that razors in which the blade sits directly on the baseplate don't benefit from shimming. As Stan mentioned, works wonderfully with the Old Type, and others such as the Fatip, OC Leresche, Rotbarts, etc ...

As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
To NickNitro71 -- what is your opinion about shimming a Super Speed and an Aristocrat? I am sorry to report that I do not understand the physics part of this very well. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks for the tips.
I tried putting a narrow shim between the cap and the blade on an Edwin Jagger De89.
It definitely changes the angle a bit.
As for the shave itself, it felt a little more effortless. It also gave a bit more bite to the razor. Ultimately I think it's a bit better.
I don't know at this point if it's my idea or not, as I tried it only this morning. I'll post again when it's time to replace the blade.

I do not own any one-piece razor so I do not know about shimming those; because of the butterfly mechanism, I would not use more than one shim on those.

Honestly, shimming the Fatip I cannot feel any difference, possibly because it's so efficient as it is.

As for the Tech, I tired one narrow on top and one wide on the bottom...what a great shave! I liked it so much I scored a second 1940s Tech on ebay! It's just amazing something made 70 years ago still shaves much better than any modern disposable junk! Some designs are just timeless; just like the 1911 pistol, after more than 100 years, it is still the finest semi-auto hand gun ever made!

In support of the theory, my Ikon short comb has a very small step between the teeth and the top plate. This step is about the thickness of a blade...so the head is designed as it's shimmed. This open comb is very, very aggressive, on par with the R41 and a great shaver.

Overall, I think one shim at the bottom does not hurt anything and in most cases will help the shaving experience on virtually all razors.

okay.. i just tried shimming for the first time a week ago and the blade after that first shim shave, felt very harsh and tuggy...

Top Bottom