What's new

Shim a slant razor?..

Shims can be made from thin, soft plastic, cut with scissors. You will need to make holes for the posts and the screw. Plastic packaging is ubiquitous and destined to be thrown out, so cheap and abundant. Just be aware that plastic bottles may not have a totally uniform material thickness.
Plastic shims might increase aggression levels by increasing the gap, but it wont improve the stiffness & rigidity of the blade. But my main reason for shimming is that increase of stiffness/rigidity.

Plastic shims might increase aggression levels by increasing the gap, but it wont improve the stiffness & rigidity of the blade. But my main reason for shimming is that increase of stiffness/rigidity.
That's incorrect. The stiffness of any solid material increases exponentially with thickness. Even if the stiffness of plastic is less than steel, it will make a noticeable difference. Try it and see. It doesn't cost anything to try.

Last edited:
I wonder: What if I put TWO NEW BLADES in the razor (not blade +shim)
it will increase the gap like a shim AND will solve the chatter issues.
It's not really expensive.
The only question remaining is how will it shave ?? rough, smooth, close ,efficient..
Did anyone try that?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The only question remaining is how will it shave ?? rough, smooth, close ,efficient..
Did anyone try that?
I know of a few fellows who have done the 2 blades together and head shave with that arrangement. Give it a try and it might surprise you. I have not tried it but maybe some day.

I shaved with the aggressive to me Yaqi Slant razor twice with a shim on top, blade chatter is much reduced but not zero. Will try next with the shim on the bottom...
20210906_190454.jpg
20210908_201147.jpg

That's incorrect. The stiffness of any solid material increases exponentially with thickness. Even if the stiffness of plastic is less than steel, it will make a noticeable difference. Try it and see. It doesn't cost anything to try.

In theory, you are of course correct.

In practice, the plastic from disposable bottles isn't stiff enough & is likely to increase aggression without much corresponding increase in blade stiffness.
I have tried it. More than 20 years ago. I didn't like the feel. I used a stiff plastic visiting card.

These days, I use my milder Superspeed, RiMei & Feather Popular razors with one shim under the blade.

I find that better than a more aggressive razor because of the rigidity of the blade. My medium razors are used without a shim, but I prefer the feel of the shimmed, milder razor.

Last edited:
Did anyone try that?
Sure works great occasionally , not sometimes too. Worth a try.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Top Bottom