What's new

Shim a slant razor?..

Will it be Ok if I'll add a shim to my slant razor (ATT S2)?
I want to experiment and try it out but I fear that the pressure on the screw thread will be too high and it might snap, after all the razor will now have to bend two blades!
Is it worth it? Is shimming any good with slants?
Cheers!

I do add a shim blade when using the aggressive Yaqi Slant. With the shim, I find the shaving blade does not chatter as much and it sorta close the gap some...another way to put it is, a more comfortable shave for me...YMMV of cors...

With September Slant starting...I'll be using the shim on the Yaqi Slant again...

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Shimming works well with any razor that you think needs it. I have a couple of slants that I think need it: the PAA El Fantasma and the FOCS.

Yes, on one hand you're bending twice as much steel. On the other, it's now 1.8mm instead of 0.9mm. Not a significant change but it can make a too-mild razor pep up a little.

I have an S2 also. You won't hurt it by shimming the blade.

O.H.

There is no problem with shimming a slant razor.

Remember, do not over-tighten, shimmed or not. Just make it "snug" (whatever that means) and much of it is by feel, rather than by other measurement. "Snug and safe" is your goal.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
A well designed slant shouldn't need shimming.

Yes, on one hand you're bending twice as much steel. On the other, it's now 1.8mm instead of 0.9mm. Not a significant change but it can make a too-mild razor pep up a little.

How thick are the blades you're using as shims? Mine are 0.1mm
Maybe you are looking at some other measurement, I was thinking blade gap.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
A well designed slant shouldn't need shimming.

I see your logic. However, the diversity of uncontrollable variables that cloud the issue which we usually refer to as YMMV means that no razor is going to be good for everyone. There's going to be somebody who really likes the razor that everyone else thinks is junk.

How thick are the blades you're using as shims? Mine are 0.1mm

Dang, that's a thin blade!

Back in 2018 @Esox measured a bunch of blades. DE Blade Thicknesses - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/de-blade-thicknesses.540416/

The short-short is that Astra SP blades miked out at 0.035 inches, or 0.889 mm. That's close enough to 0.9mm that I can live with it.

O.H.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Here they are for reference. I dont think a slant should need a shim either. My Fatip sure doesnt and is noticeably more rigid than my Grande.

in thick mm thick BLADE
0.00450” 0.114mm Gillette Nacet Stainless
0.00450” 0.114mm Shaverboy Super Stainless

0.00425” 0.108mm Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (0.089mm*)
0.00425” 0.108mm Lord Platinum

0.00410” 0.104mm Feather

0.00400” 0.102mm Astra Superior Stainless
0.00400” 0.102mm BIC Chrome Platinum
0.00400” 0.102mm Croma Diamant Stainless
0.00400” 0.102mm Derby Extra (pre 2016, current blade 0.089mm*)
0.00400” 0.102mm Gillette Sword
0.00400” 0.102mm Kai*
0.00400” 0.102mm Personna Med Prep
0.00400” 0.102mm Personna Platinum Chrome (Personna Red)
0.00400” 0.102mm Polsilver SI
0.00400” 0.102mm Rapira Platinum Lux
0.00400” 0.102mm Sharp Star
0.00400” 0.102mm Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium
0.00400” 0.102mm Vidyut Super Max Platinum
0.00400” 0.102mm Voskhod

0.00390” 0.099mm Bolzano Superinox
0.00390” 0.099mm Shark Super Chrome
0.00390” 0.099mm Treet Platinum Super Stainless

0.00375” 0.095mm Gillette New Improved Stainless
0.00375” 0.095mm Gillette Platinum
0.00375” 0.095mm Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus
0.00375” 0.095mm Trig Silver Edge
0.00375” 0.095mm Vidyut Super-Max
0.00375” 0.095mm Wizamet Super Iridium Extra Stainless
0.00375” 0.095mm Zorrik Super Platinum

0.00350” 0.089mm Astra Superior Platinum
0.00350” 0.089mm Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharp Edge
0.00350” 0.089mm Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum
0.00350” 0.089mm Gillette Silver Blue
0.00350” 0.089mm Perma Sharp Stainless
0.00350” 0.089mm Sputnik
0.00350” 0.089mm Treet Platinum
0.00350” 0.089mm Wizamet Super Iridium

* Information from “DE Razor Blade Dimensions Table” in the ShaveWiki.

I often use a shim in my Spiral Curve slant, primarily because it holds the cap on more snuggly with a shim or presumably the thicker blade it was designed to use in 1933. Certainly works fine.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I see your logic. However, the diversity of uncontrollable variables that cloud the issue which we usually refer to as YMMV means that no razor is going to be good for everyone. There's going to be somebody who really likes the razor that everyone else thinks is junk.

Back in 2018 @Esox measured a bunch of blades. DE Blade Thicknesses - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/de-blade-thicknesses.540416/

The short-short is that Astra SP blades miked out at 0.035 inches, or 0.889 mm. That's close enough to 0.9mm that I can live with it.

O.H.

O.H.

Chuck, you dropped a zero. It was 0.0035" or .089mm.
0.9mm would be greater than the thread pitch.

Will it be Ok if I'll add a shim to my slant razor (ATT S2)?
I want to experiment and try it out but I fear that the pressure on the screw thread will be too high and it might snap, after all the razor will now have to bend two blades!
Is it worth it? Is shimming any good with slants?
Cheers!
I shimmed my Merkur 37C once, no issues. It became more aggressive with the bottom shim, I liked it, but I only shimmed it to see if I should get a more aggressive slant.

I have shimmed many razors, though since I don't have a slant, I haven't tried those.

In my experience, most mild razors benefit from shimming. I would rather use a mild shimmed razor than a medium razor of the same aggressiveness level. The increase in blade stiffness & rigidity is quite noticeable. I use one shim below the blade, but many proponents of shimming suggest that one shim above & one below gives the best results. I'll try that sometime. I also try to make my shims as wide as possible, based on advise that I have read. It seems to make a difference.

It's said that slants are the only type of DE razor which can approach the blade rigidity of cartridge razors, but I see that some slants are designed so that the blade is not supported for about 2mm or more at the bottom, & sometimes, there's a gap on the top plate as well. I think that kind of razor may well benefit from shimming, as long as it doesn't become to aggressive to use after shimming.

Among modern CC razors, I've been impressed by the design of the Henson, in that the top cap supports the upper side of the blade well, though the lower side is like most razors, unsupported for part of it's width.

I think they're so easy to make that readymade shims are unlikely to sell.

Yeah, they're easy to make BUT :
1 They rust easy so you'll have to make new ones all the time
2 It's a fuss to make them and a bit dangerous
3 the final result is usually not 100% perfect

Cheers!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you are shimming to reduce chatter a shim will improve that and might give a little more blade feel.
If you just want more blade exposure just slip in a Kai SS blade and that will improve your blade feel a little more. The Kai blade is 9/1000 of a inch wider or 4.5/1000 " per side wider than a Gillette standard blade and that is a lot in the shaving world IMO.
I have used shims before and the Kai SS has eliminated the need for physical shims and your razor will easily accept it with out over torqueing your top cap hold down threaded stud. I use Kai blades in razors that a little more blade feel, good to have a tuck or two for milder razors.
I have never shimmed a slant before because they seem so efficient with just a standard Gillette blade.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide.jpg Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I wish they made a ready-made shim for sale. Made out of stainless steel that wouldn't rust and could be used forever and with choice of widths.
All I did is take a stainless steel spent blade and tin snipped the cutting edge off and I made 2 of them to experiment with.
razor blade shims.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I think they're so easy to make that readymade shims are unlikely to sell.

Cheers!

1. I've been using the same shim for the last year or so. I haven't had trouble with rusting. I have soft city water though. People with hard water might have rusting issues, but if so, their blades would rust as well. Perhaps it's a good idea for those with hard water to dip their razor into distilled water at the end of a shave.
  2. Not really. I just take a used blade & grind the edges off on a Norton stone that I keep around for knife sharpening. I do wear rubber gloves, but I do that for any work around the house anyway.
  3. Perhaps that may be true of shims made with scissors. My shims with ground edges come out perfect every time. They're also as wide as possible to give my blade the maximum possible support.

Shims can be made from thin, soft plastic, cut with scissors. You will need to make holes for the posts and the screw. Plastic packaging is ubiquitous and destined to be thrown out, so cheap and abundant. Just be aware that plastic bottles may not have a totally uniform material thickness.

Top Bottom