What's new

Shick Plus Platinum NOS injector blades - Worth it?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I am a huge fan of NOS Schick Plus Platinum DE blades, which can still sometimes be found for $0.75 to $1.00 USD on eBay. I have the "Chicks" and like them just fine, and apparently most of us around here do.

I notice that the Schick Plus Plat Injectors go for $2, $3, sometimes $3.50 per blade on the 'bay, and I'm wondering why. I'm disinclined to try them, frankly, because I have no complaints about the Chicks. I get the DE blades when I find a lower price bulk buy.

What's the feeling around here about NOS blades and why the huge price difference between them and the DE blades?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Yeah, it's weird! The DE are findable at, if not reasonable, at least more reasonable prices. These are nuts. But they seem to be around. I can't figure it out.

proxy.php

Nodding, yes! I was wondering when you would get to this. I just loaded a fresh one at the beginning of this week. I don't push blades, so I a not a good person to ask about longevity in order to justify cost. I will say, figure out some key words on the bay and make a daily habit of checking. Search by newly listed or ending soonest. Submit offers. Expect to still pay a buck or so a piece. More than 1.50 is an instant nope if I can't get a better offer accepted.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
JCinPA,

The price of anything is largely determined by what a potential customer is willing to pay for it.

Um, I understand that, Steve, I have a degree in Economics. My question was are they that different from the Chicks, because the price differential between them and the DE's is astounding. I'm trying to determine if I'm willing to pay the price. And I stated that I'm a huge fan of the DE Plus Plats.

Thanks to @APBinNCA for that vote of confidence! I'll keep an eye out and wait for a fat pitch.

I have an injector of Schick Super Chromium blades that came with an M1 adjustable I purchased. I haven’t tried them yet and I genuinely wonder if they are that much better. Would it be a mistake to use them and then have to go back to new blades.

I have an injector of Schick Super Chromium blades that came with an M1 adjustable I purchased. I haven’t tried them yet and I genuinely wonder if they are that much better. Would it be a mistake to use them and then have to go back to new blades.
The Super Chromium should be coated so there is little risk in trying them. I have tried the carbon blades that came with my injector because I couldn't resist.

Could we talk up the price of Gillette Platinum-Plus? I've got some of those and would cheerfully trade them for a C-note.
62DAC8E7-2CC6-44B5-9E8E-259D1C128DFD.jpeg

I don't even spring for Chicks. Heck I think Personnas are overpriced. North of $3 a blade? If it feels good, do it. But that $3 blade couldn't possibly feel good to me.

In the picture are the blades that came with my M1 off eBay. If they are the same as the ones your asking about I don’t notice much difference between these them and the “chicks “. However I don’t see a super designation. So I’m guessing we have different blades.

Attachments

• IMG_3699.jpg
    IMG_3699.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 14
I am a huge fan of NOS Schick Plus Platinum DE blades, which can still sometimes be found for $0.75 to $1.00 USD on eBay. I have the "Chicks" and like them just fine, and apparently most of us around here do.

I notice that the Schick Plus Plat Injectors go for $2, $3, sometimes $3.50 per blade on the 'bay, and I'm wondering why. I'm disinclined to try them, frankly, because I have no complaints about the Chicks. I get the DE blades when I find a lower price bulk buy.

What's the feeling around here about NOS blades and why the huge price difference between them and the DE blades?
Are you referring to current production DE blades that are still be manufactured versus Schick blades that haven't been produced in 25 years and are thus rare in circulation?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, yeah. NOS = new old stock. The DE blades are resaonable given their age, the injectors are not, that's what I'm curious about.

Well, yeah. NOS = new old stock. The DE blades are resaonable given their age, the injectors are not, that's what I'm curious about.
I know what NOS means. Are you then referring to vintage NOS or current production DE blades? I am assuming NOS DE blades.

The DE market was always larger than the injector market, with many manufacturers. Injector blades were limited to two manufacturers and a lot smaller market.

Top Bottom