What's new

Shick injector least aggressive shave

Hi all I’m looking into getting a shick.I’m looking for something that isn’t aggressive, something that gives a similar shave to a Gillette tech, but I have no idea. I get the alphabet systems but that doesn’t tell me what sort of shave they give or what They compare to.

Type M and type L are both quite mild (with L being the milder). From what I hear, type G is somewhat more aggressive.
Have you considered a type M adjustable?

Honestly I have no idea about injectors apart from the guy who designed them wanted it to replicate a repeating rifle from the war and there is one that looks like a gear shifter knob on the end of the handle they need and injector key and they don’t use de or shivers blades

I have an E2, E3, G1, I2, M adj. and a J Model. The G1 was my first years ago and it is intuitive to use, albeit with NO pressure. The Model M adj. has become too expensive on the famous auction site IMO, but it is the least "aggressive" as you can dial it down. Nonetheless, G Models are plentiful and cheap.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
10-9-18.E-2.Mondial.640.JPG

I have several - an open to clean Type E2, the range of the Type M adjustables, a nice Type L3, a Type O, the ebarbershop Type O clone, maybe others - and have used others I no longer have.

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

Used at what is for me their best angle all on the Schick and Schick clone injectors I've used have been pretty similar in their shaves. There are variables beyond the obvious. For instance, some will not take the excellent TWIN blade, and others will. Thus, the Type L, which takes the TWIN is a considerably different animal than, for instance, the Type E which doesn't take the TWIN.

That doesn't mean I don't like them all. Still, I have my favorite, the open to clean Type E-2. i did a post for my friend, Joel @Johnnynroy, about the E-2 and why it's my favorite safety razor. Be aware that not all razors of a particular type will be the same so some gentlemen might have an E-2 not as sweet as mine. Joel has Schick favorites he prefers to the Type E. I've not used some of the Schicks he likes best.

I like the Type M razors (other than the model with the blade protector which is too top heavy) with the TWIN blade but, used steep like I use them, the degree of adjustment doesn't much matter. They are not aggressive regardless of setting. None of the Schicks I've used are aggressive in my experience used at a steep angle.

M1.Dial.Grip.Top.Side.JPG

Another of my favorites is the Type L3 with the incredibly great novelty handle which may actually be the very best razor handle ever made in terms of function.

In other words yours is a very large question and very difficult to answer. In general it's agreed upon that Schick razors became milder over the decades, but I'm not at all sure that's the case. You'd be very hard pressed to find a sweeter razor than my E-2.

Happy shaves and Merry Christmas,

Jim

Get a later model injector, like an I-1 or J-1 and later. The shave is more similar to a tech but more efficient. A type M with a twin blade is a most excellent shave. The type M can be adjusted to give you any of the other injectors aggressiveness. I think the J-1 likely is closest to what you're seeking, but I also haven't tried a type N or type O with a single blade, just the o clone. The O clone is a bit too mild for me with a single blade but is excellent with the twins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The mildest I have tried is the Easy Rider, the yellow handled razor which is the L6 on the Appleby chart.

20191123_131340.jpg

It may even be too mild. The adjustable is a great suggestion too. I started in my teens with a L1 and they can be had cheaply as they are so common. The L1 does not have the little bumps on the bar.

20191207_153126.jpg

Get a later model injector, like an I-1 or J-1 and later. The shave is more similar to a tech but more efficient. A type M with a twin blade is a most excellent shave. The type M can be adjusted to give you any of the other injectors aggressiveness. I think the J-1 likely is closest to what you're seeking, but I also haven't tried a type N or type O with a single blade, just the o clone. The O clone is a bit too mild for me with a single blade but is excellent with the twins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I must politely disagree, The I-1 and J-1 have 3 or so versions of each. I think one is mild and two are very much not. The L is mild but with a Twin blade one of the most efficient razors I own, and I like it, er them rough. R 41, Karve with F plate, Type E with Proline, Cobra Classic, Vector and Occams with Proline or Feather Supers, etc.

I understand the Type I and the Type J have identical heads, even when comparing models with or without the hydro-magic lever feature. I consider the difference is in the handles. I'd like to hear more about this from our hardcore injector experts.

I don't count myself an expert, but I have an I2 and a J1 and I would agree with your statement. With my two examples the only difference is the handle, excepting of course the Hydro-Magic lever on the I2.

Read this thread: Schick I and J - Same Shave? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/schick-i-and-j-same-shave.570970/page-4#post-10339523

I have acquired the non Hydromatic Type I's in question and can attest there is a big difference. The J and the I are identical except for the handle.

post # 67:

BBS-1 said:
To add one more razor for testing I finally acquired and shaved with a J1 which is stamped Eversharp Schick.
End result this one is the same as the I2 and white handle I1 that also stamped Eversharp Schick.

Finally tally on tested razors.

For milder depending blade expose
max blade exposure
White handle I1 stamped Schick Safety Razor

Min blade exposure
Black Handle I1 or J2 depending which handle style you like since both are the same shaver and both stamped Schick.

For more aggressive
less efficient
White handle I1 stamped Eversharp Schick, J1 stamped Eversharp Schick, J4 or I2 Hydro-magic.

more efficient
J3 Golden 500

Only razor not tested but should fall under milder / max blade exposure is the the white handle J1 that is stamped Schick Safety Razor.

My personal favorite is the J3 but I could get by just fine if I never had one and had to use an I2 or equivalent instead.

If you want a mild but good shaver look into an L1 made from 1972 and up. The earlier ones made from 1967 - 1972 and more aggressive and don't shave any better. the 72 and up models are the best balance between between smooth/mild and closeness of shave of all the Schick injectors I've used. The only other one that will equal this razor when set to around 6 or 7 is the Schick M2 adjustable. The only thing that makes them even smoother and slightly milder is using Schick II twin blades in either instead of single edge injector blades. From a price standpoint an L1 can be had much cheaper than an M2 adjustable so I would suggest starting there unless the price of an M2 is not too much for what you would want to pay for one. There are other milder injectors but none of them match the performance of these 2. The other Type M adjustables I can't speak for but I would assume they are similar, but unlike the Type M2 neither was made after 1972 so the M2 falls into the same time frame as the better of the 2 L1 razors.

Here is how to tell the difference between the 2 L1 variants.
l167-82.jpg

The style of logo is how to tell, the one on the left was made between 1967 - 1972 and the one on the right is 1972 - 1982ish.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The least aggressive one I have in my small collection of 9 Schick injector razors is the L type theme series easy rider.
That is a 3 pass shave minimum for a DFS.
Schick L Easy rider MFG 1969!-1972 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I've only owned three injectors, and the M Adjustable is by far the smoothest and most comfortable of the bunch. Even turned up to 8, she shaves much smoother and more comfortable than my G. - The 3rd was the Star-Trek looking Persona Injector, which shaved neither as close, nor as smoothly as the M. (I keep my M dialed up between 5 & 8, depending upon if it's a single or twin blade, just for reference).

An M with a Twin blade gives a great shave, btw, and one of my three go-to razors, the others being my OneBlade(s) and Timeless 95 OC. - I'd take them over my Fat-Boy, Slim, or Super-Adjustable most mornings.

Top Bottom