What's new

Sherry, please educate me.

Back when I was just out of high school I moved from the city to a small town to work in a restaurant for a while. I worked for three over the years. The first was an old fashioned place that specialized in soufflé and personal size casseroles and a couple salads like shrimp Louie. Old ladies would take day trips to lunch there and drink cream sherries served in small carafes. The owner would mix a dry and sweet sherry 50/50 and call it a cream sherry. He said Harvey Bristol cream was to expensive. I remember sneaking a sip or three after closing with the kitchen staff. Hadn’t thought of it since. Then an article about Harvey’s Bristol Cream popped up in my news feed recently.

So, anybody drink it? Love, like or hate it? Cook with it? HBC isn’t very expensive, so I may buy a bottle just to sample some day? Any recommendations On brands , styles or cocktail recipe?

HBC is sweet. Along the lines of Port. Closer to Madeira if you have tried that.

Most drink it straight. Chilled or room temperature based on preference.

There are lots of online recipes but I only know two.... HBC with lemonade (not my thing) and HBC with apple juice and a splash of ginger ale (better, but not something I would normally drink).

HBC is pretty cheap. Even if you don’t like it, you can pull it out of the cabinet when you have guests and say “Sherry, Niles?”

Top Bottom