What's new

Shepherd’s Pie

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We had a blustery cold front come through here last night. I'm wondering why I don't have something along these lines in the house.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I love shepherds pie, but never get it. My wifes ex wanted it all the time so now she is burnt out on it forever. Uggghhhhh

Well then you wont like this post haha. Great timing too!

IMG_3566.JPG

1lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup each; Corn, peas, carrots
6 Medium White potatoes
2 Medium Yellow onions
4oz peanut oil
Hot pan

Oil in, heating while I diced the onions. Onions in until seared.

Meat in, broken up and worked around while I peeled and diced the carrots and taters. Carrots and taters in boiling water, each to their own pot.

Meat well browned, broken up and mixed with the onions.

Add 1/2 tea spoon each: Black pepper, Rosemary, Paprika, Cajun seasoning, Thyme.

Add 1 heaping tea spoon each: Salt and garlic powder. Mix well.

Add corn, I used a whole small can. Add equal amount peas. Add carrots. Add 1 cup water and onion gravy mix. Mix well and let simmer while I smashed the taters with one stick butter, 1/2 tea spoon salt, 1/2 tea spoon parsley and 1 heaping tea spoon of garlic powder.

Give it a stir and mix again, off the heat. Dump taters on, smooth over. Set oven to 400F, shovel snow. In the oven for 75 minutes. 15 minutes too long. Let cool, shovel snow again, eat, lick bowl.

I got 'er now!

A big old Cottage Pie before the mens March Madness final tonight. The women's was excellent last night, hoping for a close game.

Some cheese will go on in the last 20 minutes.

PXL_20220404_212127189.jpg
PXL_20220404_211841133.jpg

Well then you wont like this post haha. Great timing too!

View attachment 1398925

1lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup each; Corn, peas, carrots
6 Medium White potatoes
2 Medium Yellow onions
4oz peanut oil
Hot pan

Oil in, heating while I diced the onions. Onions in until seared.

Meat in, broken up and worked around while I peeled and diced the carrots and taters. Carrots and taters in boiling water, each to their own pot.

Meat well browned, broken up and mixed with the onions.

Add 1/2 tea spoon each: Black pepper, Rosemary, Paprika, Cajun seasoning, Thyme.

Add 1 heaping tea spoon each: Salt and garlic powder. Mix well.

Add corn, I used a whole small can. Add equal amount peas. Add carrots. Add 1 cup water and onion gravy mix. Mix well and let simmer while I smashed the taters with one stick butter, 1/2 tea spoon salt, 1/2 tea spoon parsley and 1 heaping tea spoon of garlic powder.

Give it a stir and mix again, off the heat. Dump taters on, smooth over. Set oven to 400F, shovel snow. In the oven for 75 minutes. 15 minutes too long. Let cool, shovel snow again, eat, lick bowl.

I got 'er now!
Better than the first one you made??

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Raven Koenes

My precious!
^^^ Agreed!

If it contains dead sheep, It's Shepherd's Pie, if it contains dead cow, it's Cottage Pie, and if it contains dead things that feed off floating micro-plastics, it's Fisherman's Pie. If it contains dead pig, you did something wrong.
Then there is always Mouse in the House. It is a Dutch dish that throws a cup of kale into it along with a sausage ham garlic ring. Yum! Sincerely -Rave :w00t:

img_006188_890x594_JPG.jpg

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
If it contains dead sheep, It's Shepherd's Pie, if it contains dead cow, it's Cottage Pie, and if it contains dead things that feed off floating micro-plastics, it's Fisherman's Pie. If it contains dead pig, you did something wrong.

If it contains pork, you've got Tourtiere.

O.H.

I made another one Sunday.

Yeah better, and better again. More refined, with a better balance of flavours but, this last time, I forgot the Chives.
OK great. We'll try that one. I was planning to cut the first recipe in half so this one should be just right. THANKS!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've used rutabega in place of potato. Great consistency, with just a little bit of a tang.

We've all had nights like that. I remember a night walking along Young St. in Toronto with friends. 32 bars and 32 Black Russians later, I made it to the hotel.

I'm happy to know so many people make this dish. No one really mentions it much. That looks good!

You made me think about adding a bit of Parsnip next time.
You guys might like this. The only thing I do differently is to blend it up smoother.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Growing up in Montreal I knew it as Chinese pot pie or Pâté Chinois. My wife’s family referred to it as Cottage pie and always topped with sliced tomatoes and melted cheddar.

Top Bottom