What's new

Shell Cordovan Strops DIY

yeah it's beautiful I pulled the pieces out ironed one to get it flat and the other one I'm pressing under books while it dries to see if that works too.

Almost $500 and several false starts later, my first 28" cordovan and linen strop is finally done.

Should be putting the second together tomorrow. Then I will revaluate what is left of the leather and decide on what to do with it.

IMG_20201224_134602045_MP.jpg
IMG_20201224_134607138.jpg
IMG_20201224_134614291_MP.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
so this is the listing I should have bought originally. The seller overnighted it with FedEx. It got here and it's from 1937, labeled vintage flax linen and lays perfectly flat and it's the exact right width... This is the exact stuff I have on a bunch of my vintage strops... Just with dubl duck fine finish linen or something similar stamped on them.

I used the nylon piece I cut and glued for my shave this morning and it works fine but I'm not going to bother trying to make any more out of it. I have got two lengths of the flax linen hose in the wash already to put on the two extra long strops... I'm thinking maybe getting that stitching kit @Slash McCoy mentioned and making dish drying mats out of some of the nylon material.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
yeah it's beautiful I pulled the pieces out ironed one to get it flat and the other one I'm pressing under books while it dries to see if that works too.

Almost $500 and several false starts later, my first 28" cordovan and linen strop is finally done.

Should be putting the second together tomorrow. Then I will revaluate what is left of the leather and decide on what to do with it.

View attachment 1199360View attachment 1199361View attachment 1199362
Looks good to me. Well done.

#2 about half an inch shorter with the depression. today or tomorrow I'll finally use it and see if that depression causes any problems. I don't think it will but it gives the strop a lot of character so it got the 1937 stamp on the linen side to add to that

Attachments

• IMG_20201225_105626612.jpg
    IMG_20201225_105626612.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20201225_105630458_MP.jpg
    IMG_20201225_105630458_MP.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20201225_105636958.jpg
    IMG_20201225_105636958.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20201225_105653831.jpg
    IMG_20201225_105653831.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Nice and shiny shell! How is the draw? Most new shell I have touched was fast but something about time as it gets rubbery and more draw. Maybe just my limited experience. So how is that one? And the hose? Fast and loud?

It's fast like cordovan. But there is a nice bit of draw to it you don't get the slip and slide/ icerink feel that I was worried I might. Pretty comparable to the kanayama feel.

The linen was really stiff before it fully dried but once it fully dried it softened up a lot which I was real happy about, I thought it was going to be like the kanayama linen where I'd have to work the crap out of it to get it workable, but it actually works fine right out of the washer as long as you let it dry enough. There's a little noise right now but it's quieting down every use I think as I am knocking back the threads sticking up... Definitely nowhere near the noise of the nylon hose or the stiff cheap plastic strops.

I don’t mind the sound of the linen hose one bit and like the results. I’m not huge on secondaries, but I do notice the difference of linen fibers. At least I’m convinced I do. I’ve tried a few synthetics and just can’t notice any effect....so no point. I’ve seen linen remove burr and polish bevel. Keep an eye out for errant scratches at first - sometimes need a few washes to get all annoying grit out.

Yeah my vintage linen strops all definitely smooth out the bevel. Abrasive at a very fine level... I vaguely remember reading that flax fibers naturally had very fine sub-micron silica embedded in them. There was an article with SEM shots showing it... Maybe science of sharp blog?

I think good quality cotton strops probably have the same effect, but I do enjoy the slightly rougher sensation of linen.

The synths are the question mark... That nylon stuff works fine for me, but that just meant it works... Does it have the same effect/work just as well? I kind of doubt it... Linen and cotton just feels nicer anyway.

Been trying to find the SEM images I remember seeing of silica particles embedded in flax, but not having luck. I have found multiple references to flax being known to have silica in the fiber matrix, and that being one of the advantages of the fiber for mild antiseptic property and its ability to cool the wearer.

So the 50 strop clips arrived at seller and I've purchased them and they've been shipped. I'll update when they get here.

In the meantime a bunch of strops I ordered a month ago have arrived for restoration, so I'm working on those. Still shaving daily off the cordovan and very much enjoying it.

Very quickly I've gone from about 5 strops to 15 and counting (This was my holiday break project... strops... 4 incoming still, 2 are good condition, 1 may be salvageable, but probably not, 1 the leather is trashed (cracked and torn), but maybe hardware and linen salvageable. . I'll try and get some more hanging hooks for them so I can get a family shot.

Last edited:
So I cut out two more 2.5" wide, 24 and 25 inch length about... Then I went a little wider on the short strops about 2& 3/4" to 2 &7/8" which are about 18 & 19" respectively.

Everything turned out great the only issue is not a perfectly straight line on all of them... I was using a ruler for my straight edge to cut against but I think clamping would be a good idea in the future to make sure they don't shift. Doesn't affect the stropping any but when you run your fingers down the sides it's noticeable.

Also cut out all the linens for them.

Now I'm just waiting on the hardware to get here. There's enough leather to maybe do another 12 or 13"... but I'm going to say the official result is four long strops and two medium strops... 6 total, from an XXL shell.

Edit: just made the 13" strop....

Attached is a group picture of the five strops I haven't assembled yet, as well as the only scraps. So... Total:

28*2.5"
27*2.5"
25*2.5"
24*2.5"
19*2.75"
18*2.75"
13*2.5"

From one XXL cordovan shell.

Attachments

• 16092993809608149616609450427106.jpg
    16092993809608149616609450427106.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yesterday I started playing with some of the scraps to see how shell react to different finishes and dyes.

I knew that what made it worth the price for shoes and small items is the obvious deep shine and luxurious feel.

While trying out a few things (stitching, dying, burnishing) I discovered (for myself) why it is such an ideal material for stropping.

When I skived a piece, that is the process of thinning the leather by carving away some of the flesh or suede side to make it easier to fold, I saw that what was left from the shiny side was an very dense, almost nylon consistency layer. It was slightly translucent and when you rubbed it a bit it darkened into a shiny very tough material.

I knew from research that shell is not the top layer of skin from the rump of a horse, but a layer, best described as gristle, underneath.

Why is that such a revelation to me? When I started this project, I was concerned about the thickness of the shell, worried it may be prone to cupping.

Well, this confirmed what I was told by experts. This is not only a beautiful material, it is also a very strong material!

It also explains the very smooth, very little draw when you strop on it.

What also amazed me, was thinking how difficult it must be to get an even dyed colour to it. The dye I applied, usually used for veg tan cow hide, simply wiped away from the finished side without any discolouration.

Last edited:
Clips are here...

Nice material, hang well.

Small for the square style (closer in size to the rounded style). The edges are rough and will scratch up the leather underneath it if they aren't smoothed.

But I got them!

Assembled the little guy... Makes a nice little travel-size strop.

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_225533274.jpg
    IMG_20210102_225533274.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
The more I use the cordovan, the more I like it. With use my strop has developed a light even draw and gotten quieter. The smooth supple surface has the signature magnetic effect that sucks the bevel down onto it as you move through the stroke. I quickly got used to the extra 3 inches on my new 18” runway. These strops are a real joy to use. I can’t really tell the difference in the edge but they certainly feel like they are doing a better job of stropping.

Agree with @Tomo. When I used the strop the first few times, it felt very slippery and glassy, but after a few thousand laps it feels better.

Don’t know if it’s the strop developing more of a draw, or just me getting used to it and feeling more confident.

Whatever, I do enjoy using it a lot and like I said before, it’s unlikely I will use anything else as my primary strop.

I will keep my cowhide strop handy for the few biters in my collection.

Top Bottom