What's new

Shelf life?.... Time to purge?

Most of us tend to over-buy creams and soaps and don't use them up or even open them soon enough.
I've adopted the practice of storing unopened creams, soaps, (even after-shave/cologne), in the refrigerator (NOT freezer), until needed. After opening, they're kept in the lavatory and used in short rotation until gone...less than one year typically.
Scents can be fragile and are often the first thing to go. Heat is the main culprit, but air also degrades and dissipates scents. The scent in an old soap puck can sometimes be "revived" by washing off a layer of the exterior of the soap.
Creams, by which I include "croaps," have a more complex chemistry to create their creamy texture. Chemical emulsifiers suspend the ingredients in a thick solution that is inherently unstable. These have a much shorter shelf-life than hard soaps, albeit one that can generally be extended by refrigeration...but not indefinitely.
As reported by others, there are as many methods of rehabilitating dried-out, hardened, broken-down products as human ingenuity can conceive, but is that really the position you want to be in?
I consider the scent to be an important component of the product I purchase, and if it dissipates from lack of use, I've lost part of the value of it. It might still work, but it's no longer worth what I paid for it.
In general, hard soaps hold up much longer than creams, so if you've too many of both, I'd use up the creams first.
Finally, hard shaving soap pucks can always be converted to body bar use, so you don't have to throw them out.

In general cream is more vulnerable as croap and croap more as hard soap.
But so far only one croap turned rancid (you should not keep it in the steam room all-most finished).
For the remainder I only binned soap because it did not perform or was not my smell. Usually I give it away.
I do have the sense that as the jar empties more and more the smell is also getting a bit les oomph in time.

I have a large collection of soaps (somewhere around 200 including samples...but whos counting lol) and have not had any issues with soaps going bad. Some of the samples have lost scent but the full tubs seem to keep well for a long time. As mentioned Hard triple milled soaps will stay good practically forever if conditions are not too damp. I wouldn't worry about them going bad accept Cella which has a reputation of going "Sour" with time.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have a few soaps from the 50 to the 70's - Yardley, Old Spice, Colgate etc and several from the 80 and 90's like Pen's and Trumper's tallow based soaps. All of them are fine, scent maybe completely gone for some. But they did not get bad in any way, they working all fine and do not have any bad smell etc.. These are all milled hard soaps. I am, however, not sure how modern soaps/croaps will hold up, these are often over fatted soaps to give a good after shave feeling, and I fear some may go rancid over time due to the extra fats. Not within a year or two, but I doubt they will be fine in 30, 40 or even 50 years from today on.

Do you think that one could/should vacuum seal them with a food saver to extend their sent/shelf life? Especially the Italian style croaps as I like them best and seem to have acquired more than I can get through in a number of years.

Do you think that one could/should vacuum seal them with a food saver to extend their sent/shelf life? Especially the Italian style croaps as I like them best and seem to have acquired more than I can get through in a number of years.
If the product is already hermetically sealed, I don't see how a vacuum-seal would add anything, unless the original seal failed.
Otherwise, vacuum-sealing and refrigerating the item until needed is probably the best that one can do to maximise the products scent and shelf-life.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've had a couple of soaps spoil, and I don't have the multi-decade stash that some do. What I do now, is just serve up a portion of the soap.

I take a ramekin, or similar, and just mould in part of the soap in question. I use that serving till it's finished, wash the pot, and then serve up another portion. That way, the parent soap isn't continually getting wet throughout it's entire life, and is less vulnerable to bacterial attack etc.

I also minimise the amount of soaps on the go at any one time. Right now, I have some Mitchell's Wool Fat grated and moulded into it's own pot, and the rest is in a vacuum sealed bag, half a stick of Palmolive grated and moulded into a small wooden bowl, and a currently empty ramekin that I use for samples. All the other soaps and samples are kept dry in their original packaging.

Since I adopted this method, I've had no issues whatsoever.

Reactions: bjm
I recently made an interesting discovery in that about 7 years ago I ordered shaving soap from about ten different artisans. I was on a quest to find the best performing unscented shaving soap. I used a few for a while and then put them all in storage. Last year, I took them out and used them up one by one, over the months, and I have to say that while they all performed fairly well, quite a few had gone bad. Lacking fragrance, the smell of rancid fat was very evident to me. This is not to knock artisanal soaps at all, but just to say, yes, shelf life probably is a thing... at least with products that have been superfatted.

The only soap I have had deteriorate on me is Cella. As long as I keep it in the original container it seems to hold up well. Wanting a bigger mass to work with I put a double container into an Old Spice mug. What's in the mug is slowly gaining a rancid aroma. It pretty much goes away as I lather it up, but it just isn't as fresh smelling as what's stayed in the original container.

Boredom made me dig deep under the stairs closet to unearth yet another box full with soaps. Just for fun, shortly before midnight.
Lo and behold, a puck of Tcheon Fung Sing turned up, puck that I totally forgot about and put in that box by mistake. It is an old soap (cannot remember when I bought it), originally a croap iirc, and when found yesterday, it was completely dehydrated, hard as a rock and very light. It came in a paper wrap, quite loose and was deformed, weird looking.
I did a test lather last night and was surprised how good it was so decided to start using it at my weekend residence.
I had a great shave this morning with the Bergamotto Neroli from Tcheon Fung Sing.

IMG_1254s.jpg

If I ever get close to the bottom of my soap stash, my next soap purchase will be Tcheon Fung Sing. Better yet, I will dedicate a full year to shaving with their soaps, exclusively.

Great products from this company!

I’d finish of creams, soft soaps and hard soaps in that order if I wanted to use up every single product I had.
Or, start with the most expensive stuff and move down.
What I’m doing now is using up stuff I really enjoy and giving off those I’m not particularly fond of.

I’ve has a cream and soft soap go bad but never a hard soap. No special storing method here either.

I hope soaps don't go bad too quickly. I've got a pretty large collection (not large compared to some though lol) that I want to work though. I don't lather directly from the dish, I scoop out how much I'll need and press that into the bottom of my lather bowl. Hopefully that will help them last a little longer.

IMG_20200418_084155.jpg

Studies where wet bars of soap had significant amounts of bacteria like e coli added prior to use found that while the bacteria survived on the wet soap just fine, they did not transfer to users because the soap did what it's meant to do... wash the bacteria away.

Now... lathering that soap up and applying it to your face, maybe getting some up your nose, on your lips, maybe a dab goes in your ear that you don't see to wipe away after the shave? Probably more risky, but solved by rinsing off the soap before use.

I use PRIMARILY 50+ yr old soap.

I just wash it off before the first use. If it's really nasty (like some shave sticks can be), I'll shave the outer bit off, or do a couple palm lathers with a junker brush and then wash it again.

I have begun to have to toss out soaps that have turned. This includes a Declaration Grooming soap in bison base that smelled off. I am going to reassess keeping a Tallow & Steel soap that appears to be losing its once beautiful scent. I just refuse to continue to use soaps that have lost their scent, or worse, begin to smell rancid.

I put the blame on my out-of-control buying habits and have put the clamps on that for the time being. I am being very selective these days and trying to use what I have. So no limited edition Tallow and Steel, no limited edition Gentleman's Nod, no new Stirling, no new B&M, no new Declaration Grooming Milksteak, no more Wholly Kow Siero, no new Eufros, no new M&M and no Grooming Dept Kairos or Nai. I have passed on all of these very recently. The only new soap I have bought within the last month is Ethos Pineapple Noir and that will be it for me for a while.

I am not putting myself on any hard and firm restraint, just being more prudent. And I am going to pull out soaps that I have not used for a while and make a decision on those as well. If they smell or look off, out they go.

Top Bottom