What's new

Shelf life of non-artisan, mass-produced shaving creams?

So, here's the deal.
I have been introduced to nivea sensitive shaving cream in a tube a while ago.
I had been using cella before, and I fell in love again with this thing when I tried it for the first time.

Couldn't find this thing anywhere locally, and even online, except on amazon, but the caveat was that it is an "add on"
item, so I had to get $25 worth of them, or mixed with other add-on items to go over $25 to get it shipped at all.

Today, I saw on amazon that the price of these went down to whopping $2.49 per tube (from $4~5 regular price), which is a great deal, it's even cheaper than what you pay at local stores, if they have any.

So, for me to get over $25, I have to get 11 tubes of these. I wonder if these have long shelf life since they are not really artisan soaps.

I am pretty sure 11 tubes will last me a pretty good while, even if I give away few to friends and family members.

I am telling you guys, this is a really great value for a cream that has great slickness and great fresh scent.

link for anyone interested in indulging. :)
http://www.amazon.com/NIVEA-Men-Sensitive-Shave-Cream/dp/B00GXZSAE4

Last edited:
Store them no higher than room temperature and away from direct light and check all the caps to make sure they are tight.

So long as it's a product you know works for you and you won't tire of, I think you'll be fine.

Twice in the last 4 years, I bought in quantity products that I was so-so on in order to get the free shipping. Fortunately, I already had people in mind to PIF them to who I knew would use them.

My only rule when gifting something is that it has to be used until it's gone- no wasting it by throwing it out.

Why don't you buy some Nivea asb, KMF cream, Wilkinson soap or something.
I've regretted stocking up cause then you feel you shouldn't buy other soaps and trying different ones is so much fun.
Just saying.

I've regretted stocking up cause then you feel you shouldn't buy other soaps and trying different ones is so much fun.
Just saying.

just thought I'd stock up on what I know works and is great value.
Kiss my face stuff any good? Seem like price is pretty good as well.

Many of us have purchased vintage Coates shave cream that was bought up by a fellow wet shaver, Coatescream.com, and with a few exceptions it's been fine. This is a batch that was manufactured in 1997.

Funny that you mention Nivea Sensitive on Amazon. I ordered a memory card for my tablet and needed a few more dollars for free shipping and ordered the Nivea. It's the best price that I've seen, beating the $2.99 I paid in a Wegmans in Scranton, PA last summer.

Many of us have purchased vintage Coates shave cream that was bought up by a fellow wet shaver, Coatescream.com, and with a few exceptions it's been fine. This is a batch that was manufactured in 1997.

Funny that you mention Nivea Sensitive on Amazon. I ordered a memory card for my tablet and needed a few more dollars for free shipping and ordered the Nivea. It's the best price that I've seen, beating the $2.99 I paid in a Wegmans in Scranton, PA last summer.

As far as I know, $2.99 was the lowest I have heard/read it's been, so I even searched my area for wegmans, but it wasn't within driving distance. I checked all my local drug stores but to no avail. They only carried shaving gels and balms, but no shving cream, so when I found amazon had it, I got very very excited, then I found out I had to buy more than 1 to get free shipping, even with amazon prime.

So today's deal seemed like a perfect chance for me to stock up on these, as long as I don't find something else better value. Arko might beat this, but I don't know if I will like the urine-like scent people describe it to be. I am a little curious about the scent though. People swear that the lather is top of the line quality.

Many of us have purchased vintage Coates shave cream that was bought up by a fellow wet shaver, Coatescream.com, and with a few exceptions it's been fine...

I've been through 20-25 tubes and they've all been as soft as a tub of AOS or tube of Maca Root. I have ~8 more Coates creams left and I'm confident they'll be as soft. I just store them in my bedroom closet, in a medium USPS box with the rest of my soaps & creams.

I've been through 20-25 tubes and they've all been as soft as a tub of AOS or tube of Maca Root. I have ~8 more Coates creams left and I'm confident they'll be as soft. I just store them in my bedroom closet, in a medium USPS box with the rest of my soaps & creams.

how long did it take you to go through those? That's a lot of shaving creams to go through.

I think given that I've used some quite old creams, they should be just fine. I stock up on a few things here and there when I can get it for next to nothing. I have many creams tucked away for 'someday'.

I think 3-5 years should be no problem, if stored properly and unopened. Once opened, I'd use it up within a year or so.

I'd think that mass market products from large companies have a longer shelf life than small artisan products where the makers often don't add as many (or any) preservatives or don't have the experience/laboratories to make stuff longterm chemically and biologically stable.

Last edited:
how long did it take you to go through those? That's a lot of shaving creams to go through.

Long time, head shaves 3xs a week help, and I had a Lavender O.D. after ~16 months. The Rose and Almond are currently in rotation, and use the Sandalwood in Fall/Winter. I had transferred ~7 tubes of Lavender, 4 tubes of Sandalwood & 5 tubes of Almond in 8 oz tubs, the Rose gets used out of the tube.

just thought I'd stock up on what I know works and is great value.
Kiss my face stuff any good? Seem like price is pretty good as well.
Didn't want to answer without using it again just to make sure. Its been a while.
I used it today and its a pretty good cream. I have the unscented version which I like cause you can add a drop of whatever EO you feel like. FWIW, I like it better than some Proraso creams.

My only warning with the Nivea is to not put it in a different container that isn't air tight. Also make sure that all the caps are tightly secure.

I put tiny bits of it into plastic containers about the same size as the sample containers from Maggard. The difference is that Maggard containers are air tight, and because mine were not the Nivea got a bit dried out and hardened to a gummy consistency. It was just a couple of tubs for my travel case though, so I didn't lose too much of it.

Personally, I'd mix it up more. I recently gave a friend of mine a starter kit which consisted of Nivea sensitive cream. He did like it and continued wet shaving, but his experience improved when I gave him an Arko stick. Arko is the "other" super cheap option, so it would be helpful for you to experience it first before the purchase rather than find out later, otherwise your closet may eventually be full of both... Unless you consider that a good thing.[emoji6]

Just saying.

I agree...11 tubes of Nivea is just too austere for me.
Might be great to throw 1 or 2 in a pass around, pif or to trade?

They are fine, as long as you don't keep them in direct sunlight or something like that. Most soaps are.
If you are gonna use only cream for shaving, you will go through them pretty fast.

Top Bottom