What's new

Shelf life of artisan soaps

The only soap that ever went bad for me was Nuavia Verde. After about three years the soaps performance changed drastically. It would no longer produce a thick, creamy, stable lather. Instead, the lather was thin and bubbly with no stability. The other Nuavia soaps (Blu, Rossa) that I purchased at the same as the Verde still perform just fine.

Last edited:
I notice once soaps(mostly samples in my case) get old that small light bumps or beads start to form in the soap. They almost feel like little tapioca pearls or something

Anybody else experience this?

In fact, now that I think of it, the two samples that have done this were two I got during a screaming discount. Perhaps discounted for getting older?
I once had that happen to a full size Cella (I want to say it was a tub but not 100% on that. It’s been awhile.) It came that way from the vendor. It wasn’t bad (ie not rancid or really badly off colored) so I just used it

I still have stirling samples from a year ago no loss of scent. One of my murphy and mcneils developed that pearl like texture, but that's the only one.

I haven't had any soaps gone rancid, even Cella. I just leave the lid off for a day or two so that it dries off completely. So far so good.

All artisan soaps are made differently from each other. The types of oils or fatty acids used, the types and ratios of hydroxides used, the percentage of water used, the temperatures used in manufacture, the additives and fragrances used, the curing time needed are all things that determine the shelf life as well as the the particular type of product created are all factors involved in trying to determine the shelf life of a shaving soap. Since each one is made differently from each other and since each person uses a different percentage of each product then there is no real way to determine the "average" shelf life of any of these products that are out there currently!

Top Bottom