What's new

Sheffield Appreciation Thread

Got a razor off eBay labeled "Watts Sheffield" with leather scales, about 1/4 hollow ground with original rather battered box (has cloth tape on it to hold it together!).

Since it's not stamped "England" I'm guessing pre 1891.

Fun thing is that it's sharp enough to shave with after a couple passes on my Panama hone, but looks almost untouched.

Peter

Here, a couple of snaps of anothoer of my Bengalls and my Joseph Rodgers.
$New Bengall 2.jpg$New Bengall.jpg$Joseph Rodgers.jpg

Rgds,
C.

Here's a few Sheffields I picked up, One Thomas Turner and Two Wostenholm's. Should make for nice restoration projects. $IMG_3558.jpg$IMG_3559.jpg$IMG_3563.jpg$IMG_3564.jpg$IMG_3565.jpg

The Compton

A few weeks ago, I found this one on a flea market. It was pretty blunt, but a perfect playground for me to practice honing. Now, it is as sharp as my other straights.

$160917-115108.jpg

Last edited:
I must say I do feel, as an Englishman, rather sad, when I see the respect worldwide for these lovely Sheffield products.

Today, one can buy a new razor made in Solignen, or in Thiers and I suppose Japan (I am leaving the Gold Dollars and their brethren for the moment),

The French and the Swedes make their own aircraft... The Italians and the South Koreans can build ships.

Why cannot we make things in England - the world's fifth largest economy - any more? What has gone wrong here?

I hope that this is not too off-topic. Soon I shall post some more pictures of splendid Sheffield-made razors...

C.

I cant wait for my Frederick Reynolds to get in. Needs to be honed but havent decided if I am going to restore it or leave it the way it is as long as there isnt any significant problems.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Slater Bros "Venture" this morning:
proxy.php

This is a truly magnificent razor and very advanced design for it's time.

I'd guess this was made in the 1860's from the stubby tail and the history of Slater Bros but it's half hollow.

We didn't see mechanised grinding until the 1890's and most of the mid-19th century Sheffields are wedge to quarter hollow only, so this half-hollow would be very sophisticated indeed.

It's also got a stabiliser and a jimped thumb notch.
So this razor would have been like a Victorian iPhone 7 [emoji3]

I'm also learning that this Sheffield steel and Coticules were made for each other.
What an excellent shave.

Some of my Sheffield blades. Yes, I am fond of Greaves blades!
Greaves hollow, Greaves Cast steel warranted, Greaves "For Barbers Use", Greaves and Sons Sheafworks, Greaves stubtail, Wade and Butcher (Celebrated New York Razor", Greaves and Sons 8/8, Roberts Warranted stubtail, Greaves smiling Sheafworks, Greaves Cast steel warranted with original Sheafworks scales.

Happy Holidays all!
jeff
View attachment 711677View attachment 711678View attachment 711679View attachment 711680View attachment 711681View attachment 711682View attachment 711683View attachment 711684View attachment 711685$P1050646a.jpg

Top Bottom