What's new

Shedding Question for Simpsons Owners

Hi Gents,

Can you tell me what your experience has been with your Simpsons through the first 15 or so uses? For the past 3 uses, one of mine has shed a dozen or so hairs per use. I'm not sure if this is typical or if I have a serial shedder on my hands. What is strange to me is that this just started happening. I used the brush maybe 10 times with only a few hairs lost in total.

Could it be something in my drying technique? I always rinse the brush very well, give it a good squeeze, lightly rub the tips on a towel, and store upright on my countertop. I always wait at least 48 hours between uses.

I'm never overly aggressive when making/applying lather, so I don't feel like I'm contributing to the problem on that front.

Thanks,
Don

I'm just now noticing that there's a very similar thread active right now, so no need to respond to this one (about a Duke 3, too, which is what I have). My apologies for the redundancy.

I'm just now noticing that there's a very similar thread active right now, so no need to respond to this one (about a Duke 3, too, which is what I have). My apologies for the redundancy.

There is certainly no need to apologise, but it sounds as if your brush has a problem as well. I would suggest contacting Simpson's direct or your vendor to have things put right. Good luck!

I think a hair or two the first few uses isn't out out of the question. Happens a lot. Now 10-12 is a problem. :ohmy:

I had a similar experience. After a month of daily use and shedding up to ten hairs per shave I returned it as something was clearly wrong.

I don't think loosing up to ten hairs per shave early on is too distressing but if it keeps up consistently for a few weeks then call the vendor.

And this is true for any brush, not just Simpsons.

Thanks for your input, gentlemen. I really like this brush, so I'm going to give it another few uses to see if the shedding calms down.

My Simpson colonel lost maybe 4-5 hairs on my first few shaves. That was about a month ago. It hasn't shed since.

Hi Gents,

Can you tell me what your experience has been with your Simpsons through the first 15 or so uses? For the past 3 uses, one of mine has shed a dozen or so hairs per use. I'm not sure if this is typical or if I have a serial shedder on my hands. What is strange to me is that this just started happening. I used the brush maybe 10 times with only a few hairs lost in total.

Could it be something in my drying technique? I always rinse the brush very well, give it a good squeeze, lightly rub the tips on a towel, and store upright on my countertop. I always wait at least 48 hours between uses.

I'm never overly aggressive when making/applying lather, so I don't feel like I'm contributing to the problem on that front.

Thanks,
Don

I've owned and used 50+ shaving brushes. I've had two continue shedding regularly after maybe three to five uses. One was a Pre-Vulfix Chubby I practically gave away (with the warning that it might be a shedder). The Other is a TGN knot I've kept around. I rarely use it, so it's still only maybe 15 uses in, and it still loses 1-2 hairs a use. I'm still waiting to see if it stops.

If I had a brush I used daily still shedding every shave after three weeks, I'd return it.

That said, I don't and I don't recommend "squeezing" a knot.

I have a Duke 3 and it has shed at most about 3 hairs in about 2 calendar months of use.

Having said that, it is part of a 7 brush rotation, so it has had maybe 10 uses at most. Does a "shedder" usually start shedding from the get-go or is it a matter of use across a period of time.

Maybe I should start using the Duke every other day and see what happens.

My other brushes are RVs and restores.

My colonel x2l shed about 5-6 in the first few shaves.

It now drops about one a week, if that. That is with 5-6 shaves a week, full rinse with tepid water, shake dry, towel wipe dry and hang upside-down for 24 hours between shaves.

The Berkeley I bought recently still sheds 1-2 hairs every shave after about 3 weeks. Does this qualify as a shedder with most vendors? The brush can probably afford it, but it's damn annoying. It's one of the things that drove me to boars.

I think I have lost 20 hairs across the 4 brushes that I own. Most shed from my Colonel but that has stopped. Having multiple brushes may also skew observations a bit since I rotate them.

Are the hairs coming out in singles or in clumps? If it were singles I would maybe give it a good cleaning, let it dry out and see if the problem persists. If the hairs are coming out in clumps get with the vendor asap.

I had the same problem. See here. My brush was purchased in February and I have been using it almost every day. As you can see from the pictures on my thread, the shedding continued.

The vendor (WCS) I bought the brush from and a search on the Internet recommended the following: vigorously wash the brush with shampoo and then run a comb through the bristles until the hair stops falling out. I did this three times - but the bristles kept on falling out. Simpson customer service was very responsive. In fact, I got a prompt response from Simpson v and I sent the brush back yesterday. I understand that there will always be brushes or other products that may prove to be defective. However, when a company such as Simpson is responsive I feel very comfortable with doing business with them.

One funny caveat that happened yesterday. I went to a local UPS to send the brush back. The UPS rep said they did not ship to the Isle of Man where Simpson was located but that the Post Office would charge over $50 to ship this. I did not believe him and instead went to the post office. The charge was around $6!

Before contacting Simpson try what I outlined above and see if that works.

In my case they appear to be coming out in singles. I tried to see if there was a specific section of the knot where the loss was coming from, but it appears to be pretty random. However, all of the loss does appear to come from the interior...nothing lost around the perimeter of the handle. I'm going to use it tomorrow morning, which will be 72 hours since the last use. I'm really hoping it calms down.

My first Colonel X2L had a serious shedding problem. I returned it to the vendor who replaced it without question in just 3 days. The replacement lost quite a few hairs again on the first shave, however, since the third use, it hasn't lost a single hair.

Vulfix made Simpsons are the least sheddy I have used. Chubby 1 and DUKE 2 with 100-200 shaves on each and nary a hair lost...

Just got in a brand new Duke 3 (wow it's dense!); no shedding whatever in the first few uses, which were with soaps, face lathering and towel drying.

In my case they appear to be coming out in singles. I tried to see if there was a specific section of the knot where the loss was coming from, but it appears to be pretty random. However, all of the loss does appear to come from the interior...nothing lost around the perimeter of the handle. I'm going to use it tomorrow morning, which will be 72 hours since the last use. I'm really hoping it calms down.

Give it a few more run outs. Sounds like it is shedding from the densest knot section so it should calm down soon. If you are using it regularly and after a couple more weeks the shed rate is still the same I would consider contacting Mark.

Gary

I bought a Simpson last November and had the same problem. It was my first time with a Simpson. It was shedding up to 10 hairs a shave. I kept telling myself it would "calm down" but then one day a huge chunk of hair came right out of the middle of the brush. There is now a big hole in the middle of the knot. That's the last time I used that brush. It gave me pretty good shaves but what a P.O.S. I realize it was just a defective brush but it's ruined me for good from Simpson's. It only lasted me 2 months, what a joke. VDH boars last longer than that.

Top Bottom