What's new

Shedding? Calibrate my expectations, please!

I bought a Shavemac 177 in May. It started off great, and I posted after a month of use (approx 8-10 shaves) that it hadn't lost a hair. Since then, however, it routinely loses 1-2 hairs/shave.

Honestly, I hesitated to name the brush, because Bernd has a sterling reputation and I didn't want to tarnish it unfairly. I ultimately chose to name the brand precisely because of his reputation for quality, which is partially why I'm curious as to whether I actually have a problem brush. I should also note for the newbie who trips across this thread, that Bernd's customer service is legendary.

My due diligence here on the board revealed a couple cases about the same timeframe (June/July) in which guys were losing 10+ hairs/shave. No surprise to anyone here, Bernd took care of them. I'm literally an order of magnitude better off than them, but the trend is disturbing, as I seem to be losing 2 hairs / shave more often now, whereas it used to be 1/shave.

So, can you help me out?

1. Is this "shedding"? More correctly, is it excessive/problem shedding? I've owned about 8 brushes, 6 of which were "good" (i.e., well-known, well-respected brush manufacturers), but other than the initial week or so with my BBE--which was advertised as having not been combed--I haven't ever seen even this much (1-2 hairs/shave) shedding.

2. If it is excessive, would you say 3 months or so of 10x/month use is still in the "call Bernd" zone, or is it in the "you've owned it too long" zone?

Thanks!

I'm one of the guys Bernd helped out with excessive shedding. My new Shavemac arrived quicker than I ever thought possible from Europe!

Call/email Bernd, descibe your issue. He may have a solution for you or tell you to wait another month and ride it out. Either way, he'll take care of you!

i'm one of the guys bernd helped out with excessive shedding. My new shavemac arrived quicker than i ever thought possible from europe!

Call/email bernd, descibe your issue. He may have a solution for you or tell you to wait another month and ride it out. Either way, he'll take care of you!

+1. If you didn't buy directly from Shavemac, you may also want to contact the vendor to let them know the problem you're having. They may volunteer to send a replacement.

Top Bottom