What's new

Shed Kits

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have a lack of storage space for items typically found in a garage or storage shed. My garage is a combination of storage and my workshop. That means no room for parking of vehicles in the garage except for the tractor and my motorcycle.
I'd like to get storage to house all the non-shop equipment, and the motorcycle and tractor, leaving room in the garage for my wife's car which can be easily moved out when work is going on in the shop.
We have had some ice storms recently and fallen trees have taken out my 12 by 12 metal storage shed which compounds the problem.
I have considered replacing the existing metal 12 by 12 with either a metal or wood storage "kit" available for purchase and I'm going to upgrade to 14 by 16 or 14 by 20.
There are "kits" available which have pre-cut lumber and panels and of course the metal replacement is a kit any way you look at it.
I'd prefer a wood kit over a metal one just for durability sake. The metal units in this size range are a bit on the "cheesy" side if you know what I mean. Most metal sheds have a snow rating of 10 to 20 lbs PSF, whereas the wood kits are typically rated in the 30 to 40 lbs PSF range.
Do any of you have any experience with such an endeavor?
Any recommendations on brand, tips, tricks or advice would be appreciated as I am going to do this myself over the summer months.

I have a 12x24 that was overbuilt to store a fullsize pickup. My building has 2 x 6 joists instead of 2 x 4. It also has 5 skids instead of 4. It has a double layer of plywood for flooring. The building is vinyl with metal wrap over all wood. The roof is metal. The exterior is maintence free. I set it on a crusher run pad boxed in with railroad ties. Its remained level for about 9 years now.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I’d look for plans that fit my requirements and buy the materials locally. And of course check your local building codes. I’m sure they will help you plan your shed. In the good old days I dealt with one person for my permits. Now it’s done by committee.

I have worked for Menards and Lowes and think that Menards has better diy shed parts and kits. I have assembled a shed from both companies.
The one from Lowes was a kit that had steel studs, plywood walls, with vinyl siding, double entry door and a performed plastic roof. It was a returned special order so I got a good price. This was a kit so it was all precut. The shed was good and easy to assembly. The shed did not have much room for customizing. The size was about 8' x 12'
The one from Menards I was able to customize it in many different ways. I used these premade frames.
1680106164866.png
The shed frame is 12' wide and they are spaced every 2' feet, so you can make it any length you want. My finished size was 12' x 16'. I also put a loft for more storage and a rollup garage door. With this shed the frames are premade and you cut everything else. They have other styles of frames for sheds also. They also sell precut kits.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have worked for Menards and Lowes and think that Menards has better diy shed parts and kits. I have assembled a shed from both companies.
The one from Lowes was a kit that had steel studs, plywood walls, with vinyl siding, double entry door and a performed plastic roof. It was a returned special order so I got a good price. This was a kit so it was all precut. The shed was good and easy to assembly. The shed did not have much room for customizing. The size was about 8' x 12'
The one from Menards I was able to customize it in many different ways. I used these premade frames.
View attachment 1628988
The shed frame is 12' wide and they are spaced every 2' feet, so you can make it any length you want. My finished size was 12' x 16'. I also put a loft for more storage and a rollup garage door. With this shed the frames are premade and you cut everything else. They have other styles of frames for sheds also. They also sell precut kits.
I do like the barn type sheds due to the storage area of the loft. I've been looking at those.
The challenge with that type is shingling that roof pitch!

I had a wooden shed at my prior house that was a 12’x16’ and had a shingled roof, double doors and two windows. The siding and shutters matched the siding on the house that made it look quite cool. The shed sat on packed gravel and railroad ties. It was level and rock steady and I was able to load it up with the ride-on mower, garden equipment, pool supplies and the kids bicycles. It cleared the clutter in my garage.

I like the wood over the metal shed I had at my previous house as the wood was much stronger. My old metal shed began to rust after a few years and I had to anchor it to the ground in the event a strong wind would make it airborne. The weight of a wooden shed alleviated those concerns. Also, any damage to a wood shed can easily be repaired with a trip to your local home improvement store, whereas a metal shed would require parts from the manufacturer that might not be available short of buying a new shed kit.

Wood certainly costs more than metal sheds, but the investment I feel is well worth it.

In the end, I think the decision comes down to your budget. If finances allow, wood is the way to go.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I had a wooden shed at my prior house that was a 12’x16’ and had a shingled roof, double doors and two windows. The siding and shutters matched the siding on the house that made it look quite cool. The shed sat on packed gravel and railroad ties. It was level and rock steady and I was able to load it up with the ride-on mower, garden equipment, pool supplies and the kids bicycles. It cleared the clutter in my garage.

I like the wood over the metal shed I had at my previous house as the wood was much stronger. My old metal shed began to rust after a few years and I had to anchor it to the ground in the event a strong wind would make it airborne. The weight of a wooden shed alleviated those concerns. Also, any damage to a wood shed can easily be repaired with a trip to your local home improvement store, whereas a metal shed would require parts from the manufacturer that might not be available short of buying a new shed kit.

Wood certainly costs more than metal sheds, but the investment I feel is well worth it.

In the end, I think the decision comes down to your budget. If finances allow, wood is the way to go.
I'm with you.
I might consider a metal building if I was shopping for a commercially built one, such as a pole barn. The DIY metal sheds generally are worth less than what you pay for them.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
45 years ago, I would just pour a quick 4” slab, run over to Sears, and throw up a steel unit with some ramsets. Some of those are still soldiering on today (even if now held together with rust). Not any more.

Today, no doubt about it, a wood structure on a draining bed of coarse aggregate is the way.

If you have any access to Amish or Mennonite small structure shops, about 25 years ago, we priced out one from scratch vs. one they build and deliver. And theirs was about the same price. It’s still standing, rock solid, leak free. Only needed a coat of Ben Moore a couple years ago. We ran a dedicated circuit out to it, it’s got lighting and windows and a little front ‘porch’. And if you insulated it, someone might be able to live in it. It’s roomy enough to hold a couple lawn tractors with a work area and storage. My recollection is that we paid around $3,500 for it, delivered, including the aggregate pad. No clue what that would equate to in 2023 dollars.

The barn type shed from Menards that I built I had had someone else install the shingles, I was not even old yet, but I have never liked roofing. The barn type shed floor was pressure treated ground contact 2" x 4" with pressure treated 5/4" x 6" decking and all I did was level the area before building the shed.
The lowes kit I had a cement slab. It was close to the house and had water run off issues. That was more fault, solution do not put anything on floor that could get wet.

During the pandemic I watched "Kens Karpentry" build a few garages, where he prepped the site for the pouring of the concrete slab and then building the garage using 2x4 walls, roof trusses, along with a few windows or doors as the customer had desired. Back during the time when lumber and construction goods were rapidly increasing in price. I imagine you have found lots of more specific information online, but prehaps his website or youtube channel would give some idea about pricing of slightly bigger garages as you plan yours.

I wish my car garage were bigger as well. Not much room to store things or work inside. I have thought about taking down the back wall and expanding into the back yard to avoid having a separate building, but have not really dared to seriously consider doing that. As a compromise I have thought about getting one of those small plastic storage sheds that could be placed around back to keep yard stuff that is of lower value but occasionally needed, like the shovels, wheelbarrow, rakes, etc.

Are you stuck in those 2 sizes and kit only? I have building and cut plans for a 12x16? shed. I built a lean to salt box instead. Never went hat route. I can email it to you if you want to look it over.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Are you stuck in those 2 sizes and kit only? I have building and cut plans for a 12x16? shed. I built a lean to salt box instead. Never went hat route. I can email it to you if you want to look it over.
I'm not stuck on any particular design, but I was thinking that a peaked roof gave me a little more loft storage!

Top Bottom