What's new

Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black to Diamine Denim Comparison

Below is a scan of a page with samples of writing with Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black ink (old formula) and Diamine Denim ink. I have been using the Sheaffer old formula ink for 55+ years and was able to score my last bottles from Sidney Brown (Sheaffer employee at that time) right after the formula change. As these bottles are dwindling, I am looking for a replacement, or better put, its successor. I like the look of the Diamine Denim on the web, so I thought I would order a bottle and give it a go. I got that bottle today.

When I was looking to ink evaluations, I almost never saw different inks in the same picture/scan. This makes comparing inks difficult on the computer as colors are not always true. So, I figured I would jot a few notes with both inks with a few pens and see how it looks. In the top 2 samples, both are with broad nibs, but in different pens. In the bottom 2 samples, the same pen with a stub nib is used.

Skrip-Blue-BlackToDiamine-Denim.JPG

Below is a scan of a page with samples of writing with Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black ink (old formula) and Diamine Denim ink. I have been using the Sheaffer old formula ink for 55+ years and was able to score my last bottles from Sidney Brown (Sheaffer employee at that time) right after the formula change. As these bottles are dwindling, I am looking for a replacement, or better put, its successor. I like the look of the Diamine Denim on the web, so I thought I would order a bottle and give it a go. I got that bottle today.

When I was looking to ink evaluations, I almost never saw different inks in the same picture/scan. This makes comparing inks difficult on the computer as colors are not always true. So, I figured I would jot a few notes with both inks with a few pens and see how it looks. In the top 2 samples, both are with broad nibs, but in different pens. In the bottom 2 samples, the same pen with a stub nib is used.

View attachment 1321035
I like the Denim ink color. You say old formula. Is the new formula a different color?

I like the Denim ink color. You say old formula. Is the new formula a different color?

Its been a while, but IIRC, the color changed slightly as did the saturation. There was a buzz at the time. I never used the new formula. Sidney Brown set a few cases of the old stuff aside for folks who inquired. Having several Sheaffer pens and a history of parts orders with Sidney allowed me to snag several bottles of the old stock.

So what's wrong with the current Skrip Blue-Black?

I have not personally used the new Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, but from writing samples I have seen and the discussions at the time of the change (years ago) from folks that had switched, the new formula had just a tinge of green added to it. Not only did that darken it up a shade, in some light that moved the grey component toward green. I like the old color, but if I were to change it, I would go more blue than green. Its all personal preference.

Top Bottom