What's new

Sheaffer Rollerball vs. BIC Gel?

Sheaffer Rollerball and BIC Gel pens appear to employ the same writing "technology":

proxy.php

proxy.php

Is that the case? Are they directly comparable?

:confused1

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
No, those products are not comparable at all. The Sheaffer is a roller ball refill for a non-disposable pen body and is kind of an odd shape, so I assume it only fits in Sheaffer pens. The Bics are disposable gel pens. Rollerballs and gel pens are not the same technology and use different types of ink. Neither is better than the other, it just depends what kind of paper you want to write on. I confess that I've been more focused on fountain pens as of late and don't know the in's and out's of roller balls and gel pens. From what I've seen, enthusiasts who geek out on roller balls and gel pens tend to prefer the Japanese brands, but I'm sure these both are fine. If you really want to know more, I recommend the Pen Addict blog as a good place to start.

I have never used the Bic gelocity disposable pens. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for them. Gel pens behave like the ink is under pressure or the viscosity is unique in my casual observations. The gel ink pens are super smooth and more like a fountain pen needing little or no pressure during hand writing but they get skipping sooner and behave very poorly in cold weather use.

I find Gel pens give better free flowing writing than rollerballs. For that reason some handwriting teachers recommend them

Top Bottom