What's new

Shea Butter vs. Lanolin

I posted a similar query in the creams forum but I am wondering if shea butter can be as effective as lanolin as far as post-shave care. I've used plenty of shea butter products but have been very hesitant to go the lanolin route for fear of a face reaction. I don't want to be stuck with yet another product that will see little or no use. Can a soap such as Pre de Provence with its shea be as effective as something like Mitchell's Wool Fat with its lanolin?

I would say yes. I use both PdP and MWF quite a bit. The MWF feels a touch more moisturizing post shave but both work well and are much more noticeable than many other brands.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
i use soaps that use veg fats, including shae butter and find them very effective. It may be the combination of other included fats, but I have a few veg soaps that rival MWF for its outstanding post shave feel. Lanolin agrees with my skin, so I enjoy using both.

Stirling has both, at least some of them do.

Ingredients

Beef Tallow, Stearic Acid, Distilled Water, Castor Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Vegetable Glycerin, Fragrance Oil, Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Milk, Lanolin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lactate

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I like both ingredients and prefer lather with one or both. My recommendation to see if you’re good with lanolin is to just go get some. Tubes are usually found in the baby section of stores since it’s commonly used by nursing mothers. However, you can use it basically as a substitute for petroleum jelly. Great on dry skin, cracked lips, etc. Rub a little on sensitive part of your face and see how it goes. You could also order a sample puck from Stirling of one of their unscented soaps; then you know if you got any discomfort, it’s from the lanolin and not a fragrance oil. Caveat: I see Stirling also contains almond oil, which is also sometimes an irritant and sadly prevents some from experiencing the joy of Cella.

Last edited:
I posted a similar query in the creams forum but I am wondering if shea butter can be as effective as lanolin as far as post-shave care. I've used plenty of shea butter products but have been very hesitant to go the lanolin route for fear of a face reaction. I don't want to be stuck with yet another product that will see little or no use. Can a soap such as Pre de Provence with its shea be as effective as something like Mitchell's Wool Fat with its lanolin?
A cheaper test to lanolin reaction would be to buy a stick of Burt's bees chap stick. It has lanolin in it. If your lips don't react your face shouldn't. Lol

A cheaper test to lanolin reaction would be to buy a stick of Burt's bees chap stick. It has lanolin in it. If your lips don't react your face shouldn't. Lol
This is interesting to me, because I don’t react to Burt’s Bees, but I have found myself to be sensitive to lanolin on my face. But that was a long time ago that I realized this, and I’ve stayed away since. Maybe I’ll try something with it and see how it goes.

This is interesting to me, because I don’t react to Burt’s Bees, but I have found myself to be sensitive to lanolin on my face. But that was a long time ago that I realized this, and I’ve stayed away since. Maybe I’ll try something with it and see how it goes.
Just a very small amount. Like a little bit in a spot you never get razor burn to start so you don't have to miss shaving because of reaction.
But that is odd. Burt's bees actually had a lot of lanolin as far as recipe and if doesn't affect your lips, shouldn't affect your face but I'm not a dermatologist lol.
Maybe back when you tried it, your technique caused some of the issue? Ive had that with soaps that it happened and later when I got better at the technique I revisit and no issue.
But like stain removers ... Test in small inconspicuous spot like under chin where not easily seen maybe.
Let us know how it turns out!!
I love me some sheep's milk and lanolin from haslinger but I haven't tried the newer non tallow one yet so not sure what else changed in the recipe.

Lips are actually pretty tough. You eat a hot pepper without much drama, but put some of that on your neck and see what happens.

I'd suggest going to someplace like Maggard's and buy a few samples of soaps with lanolin and some with shea butter. I can tell you that Ariana & Evans, with shea butter is the slickest soap I've ever used. There are other choices, too.

Top Bottom