What's new

Shea Butter Shave, Is it just me?

I just can't get myself to like it. It's not the smell, yet I don't like the smell. It's not unpleasant, just not a good smell either. My face feels AWESOME after shaving with it, but while I'm shaving I can feel my blade skipping here & there and the razor burn seems a bit worse than normal (normally not much, but there's always a spot or two I can feel when I throw on aftershave). They say you can use a brush but you won't get much lather, and you don't. I even tried some with some Bigelow & even that wouldn't generate any lather. Despite the fact that my face feels AWESOME after I am done shaving, I just can't bring myself to really like it. I've been reading a bit here & I see some people will spread on some shave creams before making a lather & spreading that on. If any of you have used this, does that help? Is there something else really heavy on the shea butter as well but that gives me a better shave?

Are you using straight shea butter or a cream/soap that contains shea butter? When I use a Provence Sante Green Tea shave soap, contains shea butter, I receive wonderful shaves with no skipping or razor burn. And the green tea has a very light pleasant scent.

Nah, it's the Shea Moisture Shave, "Shea Butter & African Black Soap Shave Butter Shave Cream". It's in the bluish/purplish & orange package at Target. A friend of mine made a skin moisturizer that was very heavy on the shea butter that was probably the best thing I ever used while my tattoos were healing, so I know it's awesome for my skin. I am just disappointed with the shave I am getting from this particular product.
www.sheamoisture.com
I will be sure to keep an eye out for that Provence Sante soap. I'm not that big a green tea fan, but I'll give it a shot for sure.

I have the Pre de Provence shaving soap with shea butter and I was disappointed in it. The lather feels wonderful, but I wind up with razor burn & irritation. The reviews on amazon are great, but it doesn't work for me.

I am expecting delivery from amazon any day now, the Pre de Provence soap. What you should do is bowl lather, load your brush with the soap, then add a cream that you really like in the bowl and whip up some uberlather. You get the best of both worlds. I love Cella's skin care but its scent goes from sweet almond in the tub to sour milk in the bowl, I add Omega, Proraso, Arlo Moist or Hatric to the mix and get excellent shaves.

THe OP is talking about the stuff you get at Target. It's awful, I threw mine out the day someone gave me some bigelow to try.

Toss it and get yourself some eShave cream. You'll never look back.

Man, that is really disappointing. I REALLY wanted to like this shave cream and the Shea butter is AWESOME for my skin. Maybe I'll just have to talk to some friends that make soaps & such and see what they say about using it maybe as a face wash or maybe a pre shave soap. In the mean time though I will certainly look into eShave and Pre De Provence for sure and just stick with my Bigelow & KMF for shave duty in the meantime. Thanks for confirming that it's not just me. I can actually feel a line of stubble forming on my cheek from where my blade skipped.

My skin loves shea butter soaps (Pre de Provence, Provence Sante, Institute Karite) but the cream you have is horrific, go back to Target and return it.

My skin loves shea butter soaps (Pre de Provence, Provence Sante, Institute Karite) but the cream you have is horrific, go back to Target and return it.

Try the above shea butter soaps...they provide wonderful shaves and your skin will feel marvelous!

THe OP is talking about the stuff you get at Target. It's awful, I threw mine out the day someone gave me some bigelow to try.

Toss it and get yourself some eShave cream. You'll never look back.

The new sandalwood (red) Proraso has shea butter.
Honeybee Spa is a good melt-n-pour soap that has shea butter in it, with a huge variety of scents.

I'm a big fan of shea butter products for shaving, leaves the skin feeling great!

Nah, it's the Shea Moisture Shave, "Shea Butter & African Black Soap Shave Butter Shave Cream". It's in the bluish/purplish & orange package at Target. A friend of mine made a skin moisturizer that was very heavy on the shea butter that was probably the best thing I ever used while my tattoos were healing, so I know it's awesome for my skin. I am just disappointed with the shave I am getting from this particular product.
www.sheamoisture.com
I will be sure to keep an eye out for that Provence Sante soap. I'm not that big a green tea fan, but I'll give it a shot for sure.

Not a good product line for shaving creams, but their skin care and hair line are excellent. Their aftershave is nice on the skin but isn't the best smelling product on the market. I buy unrefined shea butter for my face and put it on my skin at night, the best thing that I can do for my skin.

Not a good product line for shaving creams, but their skin care and hair line are excellent. Their aftershave is nice on the skin but isn't the best smelling product on the market. I buy unrefined shea butter for my face and put it on my skin at night, the best thing that I can do for my skin.

Yeah, there's a place right where a buddy set up shop that sells unrefined shea butter. I had considered getting some, but until I tried this shave cream I had forgotten how awesome it is for my skin. You all are gonna send me to the poor house with all these great shave creams to try out though *LOL* I think I may try buying that eShave cream next week. They have a Verbena Lime scent and I'm a sucker for most anything lime scented. :D

You might try Van der Hagen Deluxe soap, which contains shea butter. Won't break the bank for sure, and is widely available (Walmart and my local Kroger grocery, for instance).

Interesting, that was actually what I started into wet shaving with. I still use it as a pre shave lather, I had no idea it had shea butter. It would explain why my face felt so much better when I switched then it ever had with any canned stuff. Thank you, I might not have known otherwise. I guess this at least proves that the shea butter is indeed awesome for my skin & it's not just in my head!

Priority #1 - don't wreck your face. Get yourself a good shaving cream, then put shea butter on afterwards if you want to. There are plenty of aftershave balms with shea butter in them. Every Man Jack Post Shave Lotion has shea butter in it. Probably not as much as Pre de Provence or Institut Karite balms, but it is available at Target or Whole Foods for like $6.

Top Bottom