What's new

She Has Arrived! My Graydog Bella Dea

When I first joined B&B it wasn't long before I started coming across the beautiful work of @Graydog . I know acrylic and other materials hold sway in the land of shave brushes, but I have always loved the natural warmth and beauty of wood, and his handles always seem to display wood's innate beauty.

The pictures, whether his or mine, don't do the brush justice. It is genuinely stunning. Three different types of wood: Bloodwood, Maple, and Wengewood. I thought he had stained the top and bottom, but was informed those are the natural wood colors. Gorgeous! The brush is a 24mm horsehair, 63mm loft. I've been wanting a longer-handled horsehair brush but couldn't find one to my liking. This sweet creature far exceeds anything I'd ever hoped to find.

View attachment 1272952

View attachment 1272954
I thought I'd try a pic under sunlight to see if it brought out the colors any better.

View attachment 1272958
Her new home
View attachment 1272959

View attachment 1272960

View attachment 1272961

Someone will ask: "What does Bella Dea mean?" It's Italian for 'beautiful goddess'. I used to refer to my now departed Denise as my "Bella Dea" quite often, or just Bella. This brush, while in truth a simple instrument for grooming purposes, is still an aesthetic joy, just as Denise was. Her beauty was all-encompassing, internal and external, and she brought me repeated joy--just as I am certain this brush will.

Thank you so very much, @Graydog. Once again you have supplied another smile, lifted another heart.
Beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
A few nights ago, I was telling my daughter that when she gets older, she might find more joy in giving than receiving.
Absolutely. I believe it's a sign of maturity when one reaches that point.
I certainly believe that Steve gets much joy out of seeing his beautiful work used and cherished by so many others.
Yes he does. He's reached a point in his life where we can all learn from his wisdom and kindness. Bravo to @Graydog!

Used it this morning with some Coate's Lime Shave Cream. I wasn't sure how the cream would lather as I don't typically use creams from a tube, but these were $1.70 each, so I couldn't help but try some. I'm curious as to how well the knot will do with a more solid croap or soap. Using the brush added another level of pure enjoyment to my shave this morning, though.

Been able to use it a few times now and I've noticed, like my other horsehair brushes in the past, this one doesn't hold lather real well--just nature of the beast . . . pun sort of intended. But it's still a joy to use and look at.

Top Bottom