What's new

Shaving with the Qshave adjustable razor...

I recently started using the Qshave adjustable razor, but have still had some issues with irritation. Of course, like an idiot, as I was setting the Qshave just the other day, I wasn't looking at the adjustment dial with the notch as I was trying to make the adjustment. As a result, I ended up shaving with the Qshave razor on 5. Obviously, I meant to have it set on 2 or 3. At this point, I'm taking a break from shaving until the spots on my face heal. I may go back to cartridge shaving if I need to shave until my face gets better.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I recently started using the Qshave adjustable razor, but have still had some issues with irritation. Of course, like an idiot, as I was setting the Qshave just the other day, I wasn't looking at the adjustment dial with the notch as I was trying to make the adjustment. As a result, I ended up shaving with the Qshave razor on 5. Obviously, I meant to have it set on 2 or 3. At this point, I'm taking a break from shaving until the spots on my face heal. I may go back to cartridge shaving if I need to shave until my face gets better.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Cartridges will reopen cuts, you might want to use an electric if you have one in those areas.

This was my first DE a year ago. It's hardly the ideal razor for new users. It's just way too crazy aggressive, bulky and unwieldy.

But since you already have it, my advice would be to not go higher than 3, stick to milder blades, only go ATG when you are confident enough especially the moustache area. And use lots of cream to get a thick lather on every pass.

Even after a year of use I still can't go higher than 3.5 with a sharp blade like Astra. The blade feel is insane.

Two suggestions for you, for vintage try a pre-war Tech, for modern, try a Game Changer with the .68 baseplate. Everyone is selling their .68s after getting .84s so you can get a good deal. .68 is still a great baseplate for me, just slightly more aggressive than my Tech. You can use any blade you want in those razors to get a 3 pass BBS.

Two suggestions for you, for vintage try a pre-war Tech, for modern, try a Game Changer with the .68 baseplate. Everyone is selling their .68s after getting .84s so you can get a good deal. .68 is still a great baseplate for me, just slightly more aggressive than my Tech. You can use any blade you want in those razors to get a 3 pass BBS.
I don't really need those because I've moved on to a merkur 37C and Gillette flare tip. These are better than the qshave in every possible way imaginable aside from the prices.

I just shaved with this. Although the shave was great, I'm very disappointed with the razor. The knob is too loose. When I dip the razor in water and shake off the water, the knob can move slightly. After a few times of doing this, it had moved from 2 to almost 3. I'm gonna have to search for another adjustable razor.

I just shaved with this. Although the shave was great, I'm very disappointed with the razor. The knob is too loose. When I dip the razor in water and shake off the water, the knob can move slightly. After a few times of doing this, it had moved from 2 to almost 3. I'm gonna have to search for another adjustable razor.
strange. Mine is super tight. If I adjust it I had to wrap a cloth around the head so it wont slip.

I for one don't like the Qshave clone of the Futur for three reasons. Probably the Futur is just as bad but I can't comment, as I haven't tried it.
1) big and clunky head - hard to get under nose, etc
2) super slippery handle
3) Settings above 3 are pretty much only good for scalping yourself

Having shaved with a Futur on 6 (higher after the stop wore away) for over six years, in my opinion it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be. Perhaps one has to have the right skin and whiskers. I lent a far less aggressive razor to a friend who's way bigger and stronger than me but is of Swedish descent and he said it just about took his face off, so there's that.

But in my experience, mastering the Futur or any aggressive razor is a function of two things. Maintaining the right angle and applying super light pressure. One has to pay attention until one gets used to it and then it becomes second nature. Sort of like shaving with a straight, it's not rocket science. Just something one learns.

I don't have the Qshave but I would imagine it's very much the same. All my aggressive razors require a very similar technique. My favorite so far is the Ikon Tech but even among aggression enthusiasts there are many opinions. I have a 2011 R41 and a 2013. Also a couple of Fatips. I'll be trying my first devette tomorrow and I'm not the least bit nervous. Lots of guys shave like that so it can't be that hard.

A big part of the fun of this hobby, at least for me, is mastering technique. Approached the right way, an aggressive razor just provides options. With a light enough touch and an angle that doesn't cause the blade to dig in, it need not be any more uncomfortable than a Superspeed or even the most mild Gillette Tech. Aggression is just an option. This kind of razor can be used in a variety of ways simply by altering technique on the fly.

Getting under my nose with the Futur was something I had to learn. In the beginning I'd bring another razor along to cut those hairs. But, again, with practice one discovers the correct angle. I'm not an expert but I see no reason why, assuming you have no tremors or motor control issues, you can't master any razor.

My immediate thoughts on reading this thread were how would you not know it was set wrongly. The first stroke would have suggested something was wrong.
Hopefully the DE89 is shaving well; good with the Astra SP blades but even better with the GSB.

+1! This is true with any razor IMO, but more so with the more aggressive ones!
Absolutely. Which means the aggressive razors simply give a greater range of options. That makes them more dangerous in the hands of someone who hasn't mastered his technique or isn't paying attention, but more powerful in the hands of someone who has.

I often compare DE shaving to driving a stick shift whereas cartridges are like an automatic. But unlike motor vehicles, in shaving there's a continuum of control. So perhaps a better analogy for mastering aggressive razors, devettes and straights would be learning to "heel and toe" or apply other racing techniques. The idea, either way, is to master the machine.

Top Bottom