What's new

Shaving with skin issues

Just been diagnosed with a skin condition and the dermatologist recommended an electric shaver. Following my promise to defenestrate his sorry butt if he ever mentioned that infernal machine in my presence, he advised that the key ingredients that I was to avoid included, but are not restricted to, the following: mint; menthol; clove oil; camphor; witch hazel; artificial fragrance; and, salicylic acid. I've had excellent shaves from Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort and Proraso Red (the sandalwood used in that product is natural sandalwood oil). I've been a wet shaver for about 65 years and I'm kind of old fashioned - my favorite product line has been Proraso for several decades. I recently heard that Proraso has reformulated their Sensitive Skin (White) line and I'd like to give the cream and/or the soap a try as well as the pre shave. Problem is I get differing ingredient lists when I search on-line: some include menthol and some do not include that as an ingredient. Can anybody out there help me out on this? I would also welcome any other recommendations. Thanks very much in advvance.

Haslinger Schafmilch Shaving Soap has been lauded as a very mild soap. I couldn't see any of the ingredients to avoid in that soap. I'm no expert on skin conditions though.

I had nothing better to do so I poked around and researched Proraso White. I wasn't able to find anything indicating any of the products in their white/Sensitive line contains menthol. It does contain "fragrance" however.

If you're looking for things to try Stirling Naked & Smooth has a short, clean ingredients list that fits your bill, including being fragrance free.

I had nothing better to do so I poked around and researched Proraso White. I wasn't able to find anything indicating any of the products in their white/Sensitive line contains menthol. It does contain "fragrance" however.

If you're looking for things to try Stirling Naked & Smooth has a short, clean ingredients list that fits your bill, including being fragrance free.
I know that they say there isn’t any menthol in White, but there is something in there that smells like mint and makes my eyes water. I use their Preshave cream because it’s the best. But I would like to find one without the minty smell.

Just been diagnosed with a skin condition and the dermatologist recommended an electric shaver. Following my promise to defenestrate his sorry butt if he ever mentioned that infernal machine in my presence, he advised that the key ingredients that I was to avoid included, but are not restricted to, the following: mint; menthol; clove oil; camphor; witch hazel; artificial fragrance; and, salicylic acid. I've had excellent shaves from Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort and Proraso Red (the sandalwood used in that product is natural sandalwood oil). I've been a wet shaver for about 65 years and I'm kind of old fashioned - my favorite product line has been Proraso for several decades. I recently heard that Proraso has reformulated their Sensitive Skin (White) line and I'd like to give the cream and/or the soap a try as well as the pre shave. Problem is I get differing ingredient lists when I search on-line: some include menthol and some do not include that as an ingredient. Can anybody out there help me out on this? I would also welcome any other recommendations. Thanks very much in advvance.
Did he mention lanolin? If not, Mitchell’s Wool Fat is very easy on the skin, but it does contain lanolin. It also is devoid of fragrance. It smells like soap.

You could try Canada Shaving Soap. No scent and only six ingredients.
This is truly excellent soap to shave with.

“There are only six simple ingredients in “CANADA SHAVING SOAP”:

– Triple-Pressed “Vegetable-Based” Stearic Acid (sustainably sourced from Palm Trees)
– Imported Coconut Oil
– Canadian-sourced Distilled Water
– Potassium Hydroxide
– Sodium Hydroxide
– “Vegetable-Based” Glycerin

That’s it! No added fragrances, perfumes, or unpronounceable chemical names.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have acute contact dermatitis. I'm not sure your exact issue, but I can use unscented options from Captain's Choice, Stirling , DR Harris, Soap Commander. Best of luck to you. I'm certain you find something that works.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Don't forget the razor you choose: try using the mildest one you have, and only going with the grain.
I'm a RETIRED RN and Cosmetologist. Skin is so overlooked, until it can't be. We were not designed to shave. The act alone encourages irritation.

Good luck friend!

Top Bottom