What's new

Shaving with Schick injectors

Been shaving w/ DEs for years but am interested in possibly acquiring an injector or two. Here are my questions for the injector shavers:

1) What models can we get new blades for (series M, etc.)?
2) Does anyone have any advice for how injectors compare to DE razors (maybe which ones, say Old Type etc.)?
3) Can you get a good shave w/ the injector (yes, but in 2 passes, etc.)?

Thanks.

Only Schick I ever owned was an E, just your normal run of the mill injector. Several sources for blades, Ebay in USA. Connaught Shaving in the UK had them at the time.
Great shave once you get used to the light weight. Some of them are a bit aggressive and you can get bitten if your not careful. Way better than a DE, ok better than most DE razors but not all :)
Nice razors and worth a try.

1). Yes you can get currently produced blades for all of the Schick Injectors. The earlier repeaters may not work quite as well with the thinner blades but all other injectors work fine with them. But basically from the Type D to the Type O, you can get blades. Very cheap ones can be bought from ted Pella, good ones from many vendors (yellow blister pack Schick blades, made in China), a couple options made for the Japanese market including Schick Proline B-20s that are available from some vendors on eBay and Etsy and rakuten, Japanese Schick II TWINs from eBay or rakuten, or Japanese Schick I blades also from eBay or rakuten.

2). The blade is more rigid than any DE. You can’t remove the blade to clean the razor. This isn’t an issue as when you slide in a new blade, that cleans out the head pretty well. I find the shave to be much better than any DE I tried. Very easy to use and find the correct angle. A bit light m, which takes some getting used to, but otherwise fantastic razors.

3). I do two passes for a good DFS with my injectors every day. I could get to the same place in two passes with only a couple DEs. The DEs took much longer as they were far more aggressive and needed a lot of attention during the shave.

The injectors are also pretty inexpensive by and large, and generally clean up very well. Highly recommend trying them out.

Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers might be able to give you a better direct comparison to some DEs, like the Old Type, as I haven’t used a lot of the more common ones.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1). Yes you can get currently produced blades for all of the Schick Injectors. The earlier repeaters may not work quite as well with the thinner blades but all other injectors work fine with them. But basically from the Type D to the Type O, you can get blades. Very cheap ones can be bought from ted Pella, good ones from many vendors (yellow blister pack Schick blades, made in China), a couple options made for the Japanese market including Schick Proline B-20s that are available from some vendors on eBay and Etsy and rakuten, Japanese Schick II TWINs from eBay or rakuten, or Japanese Schick I blades also from eBay or rakuten.

2). The blade is more rigid than any DE. You can’t remove the blade to clean the razor. This isn’t an issue as when you slide in a new blade, that cleans out the head pretty well. I find the shave to be much better than any DE I tried. Very easy to use and find the correct angle. A bit light m, which takes some getting used to, but otherwise fantastic razors.

3). I do two passes for a good DFS with my injectors every day. I could get to the same place in two passes with only a couple DEs. The DEs took much longer as they were far more aggressive and needed a lot of attention during the shave.

The injectors are also pretty inexpensive by and large, and generally clean up very well. Highly recommend trying them out.

Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers might be able to give you a better direct comparison to some DEs, like the Old Type, as I haven’t used a lot of the more common ones.

A really good Old Type (some are a lot better than others) will give the injectors some competition. I wouldn't say the injectors are necessarily the best razor for anyone, but they are surely damn close for anyone. Easy to use. Easy to learn. Efficient enough. Not likely to bite. Overall, they are great razors.

I love my open-to-clean Type E-2, and my Type L-3 best, but the ebarbershop Type O clone with a TWIN is a great razor, too.

Everybody should own and learn a good injector. Joel knows much more than me about all the types and models and potential problems with vintage injectors. I know not all E-2 razors are anywhere as good as mine. I suspect most L-3s are in great shape.

The L-3 handle looks funny but works exceedingly well indeed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I enjoy my injector (M-35) and the Twin Blades. That being said it does not provide a better shave than my 40's super speed or my adjustable DE's. It's a different shaving experience, but for me the results are the same.

About 1 1/2 years ago I picked up an early E-2. The shave impressed me but was on the aggressive side as I prefer a milder razor (preferred DE is a Schick Krona.) The E gave a nice shave, but seeking milder, I acquired an N1 this was too mild, I then tried a I1. This was more aggressive and gave a good shave. Then I discovered the Japanese Schick Injector II twin blade. This in an N was a revelation. Smooth easy shaves, lasts me 70+ shaves. I can get a DFs in a single pass with a touch-upon the problem areas. The twin blades are pricy but considering the number of shaves I get; in practice they are not.
I also like the G type. I have a G4 the 66. This with a Chinese Schick blade gives a very nice shave also. It is not so much aggressive, but very efficient.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I received my first injector at the end of 2014. Here are my breakdown of shaves by razor type since then...
YearStraightDESECartTotalMissed
All 2018 shaves have been with an Injector as well. I am a 2-pass shaver, irrespective of razor type.

With Schick blades, I get a month of daily shaves but have pampered myself by tossing after 3 weeks. Using Personna blades, (I am only on blade-2) they seem smoother out of the gate but appear to be done after around 2 weeks.

As for the experience, a close shave is a close shave is a close shave. I find Injectors to be much more forgiving when shaving at 5:30am and still half-asleep, but you can still cut yourself if you don't pay attention.

I’m a huge fan of the I type, especially the Hydro-Magic.

I have a C, E, G, have had an F, J, and newer. I feel like the I is just right. Not too aggressive, but not too mild. Throw in the cool engineering of the Hydro-Magic cleaning mechanism and it’s close to perfect...for me anyway!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one injector from Supply. I’m interested in others because I too believe that injectors are the only way to go. Can someone post a link explaining all the different types and their advantages. I’m really happy with the one I’m using but I’m open to others if they provide an even more comfortable shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have one injector from Supply. I’m interested in others because I too believe that injectors are the only way to go. Can someone post a link explaining all the different types and their advantages. I’m really happy with the one I’m using but I’m open to others if they provide an even more comfortable shave.

This isn't comprehensive, but it might help you a little bit. Link.

I like every Schick injector I've tried, but I've not tried them all. Also, I like the ebarbershop Type O clone. I like the Schick Chick blades and also the TWIN (in razors which will take it).

I don't know much about most non-Schick injectors, but hear they're mostly all good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This isn't comprehensive, but it might help you a little bit. Link.

I like every Schick injector I've tried, but I've not tried them all. Also, I like the ebarbershop Type O clone. I like the Schick Chick blades and also the TWIN (in razors which will take it).

I don't know much about most non-Schick injectors, but hear they're mostly all good.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks Jim, I am sold on my Supply Injector. Not sure if I want to become a collector yet but I just might do it!

I’m a huge fan of the I type, especially the Hydro-Magic.

I have a C, E, G, have had an F, J, and newer. I feel like the I is just right. Not too aggressive, but not too mild. Throw in the cool engineering of the Hydro-Magic cleaning mechanism and it’s close to perfect...for me anyway!...

I like the current Personna mini-hair shaper blade in later injectors to tame the perceived harshness. That works in the I2 Model I have very well if you haven't tried one.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have 5 Schicks that comprise of 3-E series(2 were in rough shape and repaired), 1-E5 , 1-G and might add a adjustable down the road.
Shave quality excellent and easy to find razor angle IMO, can be a little boring getting remarkable shaves using new Schick blades.:lol1:.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That's the theory, but Injectors are addictive.

Let's see what I have that I can remember right off.
  • A PAL injector I've never used.
  • Just one Type O. Used once.
  • An ebarbershop Type O clone I've used a lot.
  • Two ebarbershop Type O clones in sealed packages (an heir and a spare).
  • Maybe three Type M injectors of various sorts.
  • My fabulous Type L-3 with the really cool and useful tennis racket handle.
  • My beloved Type E-2 open to clean.
That's all I can think of, but there could be a few more. Not that I use them.

I'll admit to having had IAD in the past. I was in pursuit of the Type F especially. I had plans to acquire the Personna Floating Head and several other injectors. Then, I realized that it would be just about impossible to beat the E-2 (or the L-3 with a TWIN). Finding a really nice Type F is very, very hard unless you're very, very lucky (like Joel). I bid on a Personna Floating Head and almost won but someone else bet my bid of about $127 at the last second. Insanity was firmly in control.

I have 5 Schicks that comprise of 3-E series(2 were in rough shape and repaired), 1-E5 , 1-G and might add a adjustable down the road.
Shave quality excellent and easy to find razor angle IMO, can be a little boring getting remarkable shaves using new Schick blades.:lol1:.

That's just nuts. I should report that now I have absolutely no IAD.

Well, yeah, except for SRAD and HAN and Grooming Dept AD.

And you thought these disorders couldn't be cured?

Aren't you glad to hear the good news?

Happy shaves,

Jim

The injector razor was the LAST technological leap forward in shaving. Nothing new which has been done since is any improvement. Nothing like an injector for an easy, close shave. DE's are cooler and more fun, but very few DE's and blade combinations can deliver like an injector.

Top Bottom