What's new

Shaving With Sample Soaps

Soap samples come in all varieties and sizes. Some soap samples are thin slices of a hard soap. Some are put in wide jar. And then there are the samples like this.

sample.jpg

This sample measures about 1" across. It is a medium density soap. However, I have similar samples that are hard and some are soft soaps. The soft soaps I use a wet finger across the soap and apply it to my face and neck. The hard soaps I pry out and use it as a shave stick. The medium density soaps such as this one pose a problem. When I try to pry it out it crumbles. There is not much soap to use in a bowl. In the past, I have crumbled them up and mix them with odd and ends soaps to make a Frankensoap. However, I have a number of these samples and would like to try them on their own.

So the question is fellow B&Bers: how do you use soap samples, particularly the ones that are not soft or hard but are as I call them medium density soaps?

I scoop the soap and put them all in a empty tub. I use em up until they're empty. It usually takes 4-5 shaves to completely use the sample with the exception of Stirling (I'm on 11th shave on one sample and still going strong)

I have a "loading bowl" which is a glass bowl with a little depression in the bottom. You can press a small amount of soap in the depression and then it will usually stay there.

Similar to this one:

gbowl.JPG

I scoop enough soap out of the sample for a shave using a 1/8 tsp scoop and press that into the bottom of a Timeless shave bowl. Then I drip enough warm water in the bowl to coat the soap and let that soak while I shower. When I get out I use a rinsed and shaken dry synthetic brush to create lather in the bowl and add water as needed.

The amount of soap I use depends on the brand but everything I've used so far has lasted for at least 5 two pass shaves, and most lasted longer than that. The samples were all from Maggards and include everything except very soft soaps. I definitely think it's worth it to scoop out the amount you need and lather in a bowl, ymmv.

Edited to add:. Fwiw I haven't found a soap yet that I couldn't scoop unless it was a hard soap like SV or PdP.

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_181539.jpg
    IMG_20200407_181539.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
As you point out soap samples come in all shapes and sizes and consistencies. Stirling samples are the larger hard consistency. They easily lend themselves to be pressed into the bottom of a tub so they can be used just as if it had come in a full size tub. Then there are the teeny tiny samples that come in those really small little containers. I take a small spoon and scoop it all out of there and press it into a covered sample dish that someone pif'd me. It's extremely shallow so perfect for those small samples. Once pressed down into the dish it is spread out enough to allow for normal loading with a brush. If I didn't have those sample dishes I'd just press it into the bottom of a bowl and use it till it's gone.

I've got a sample in the same tiny size jar. I just swirl a damp brush over the little jar, until loaded, then bowl lather as usual. No particular technical skill needed.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The only soap/cream samples that I have are from Captain’s Choice. Being soft I just scoop some out with my finger and press it into my Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl.

I scoop it out with a teaspoon and transfer it into a wooden bowl or plastic tub, then press it down untill firm.

This is Wickham in an old Prorso tub.

DSCF1993.JPG

And Wickham in an old wooden bowl.

11.02.2020.JPG

And finally, Phoenix and Beau in the Proraso tub. This was softer than the Wickham, a little crumbly as you described but with a bit of patience it pressed in comfortably.

DSCF2220.JPG

I found my wooden bowl the easiest to load from. The lid isn't tight fitting so the soap dried out a little but it didn't affect it's performance and maybe helped it last longer. I managed around 8 shaves from each sample used in the bowl.

Soap samples come in all varieties and sizes. Some soap samples are thin slices of a hard soap. Some are put in wide jar. And then there are the samples like this.

View attachment 1084324

This sample measures about 1" across. It is a medium density soap. However, I have similar samples that are hard and some are soft soaps. The soft soaps I use a wet finger across the soap and apply it to my face and neck. The hard soaps I pry out and use it as a shave stick. The medium density soaps such as this one pose a problem. When I try to pry it out it crumbles. There is not much soap to use in a bowl. In the past, I have crumbled them up and mix them with odd and ends soaps to make a Frankensoap. However, I have a number of these samples and would like to try them on their own.

So the question is fellow B&Bers: how do you use soap samples, particularly the ones that are not soft or hard but are as I call them medium density soaps?
I haven’t tried it yet but I purchased this collapsable silicon dog food bowl. I plan on jamming the soap sample between the middle three knobs. It holds flat very nicely in my hand. I am an exclusive face latherer. I always air out my soaps overnight after a shave and I’ll find an old lid for a cover until the soap is used up. That’s the plan. I’m waiting on some new badgers to try it out.

Attachments

• 7A387D0B-C42C-41E3-805D-1094D95B1B19.jpeg
    7A387D0B-C42C-41E3-805D-1094D95B1B19.jpeg
    787.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 7A8C2D4B-EA1A-4BB6-A7D7-8E6983C76C1E.jpeg
    7A8C2D4B-EA1A-4BB6-A7D7-8E6983C76C1E.jpeg
    748.9 KB · Views: 11
After I converted to DE shaving and finding B&B, I participated in @dfoulk's amazing Soap Sample Passaround. I learned to scoop out an almost almond size sample of the soap and press the sample of the sample into my lathering bowl. 1/2 to 3/4 almond size is all I need for a shave (and have lather left over).

View attachment 1084631

What's the name of the tool I see in your picture? It looks like it would work better and be more precise than the little spoon I use.

What's the name of the tool I see in your picture? It looks like it would work better and be more precise than the little spoon I use.
That's a clay gouging/molding tool that I picked up at Hobby Lobby; works great from digging out soap samples.

In prep for tomorrow's shave, I took out an espresso spoon and dug out the contents of an M&M soap sample. The soap broke apart and I applied pressure when I put it in the smallest jar I could find that would still allow me to load a brush. I should get two or three shaves from the soap.

This is what it looks like.

View attachment 1084747

That does look a little crumbly around the edges but I've not used M&M soap before so it might just be the way their soaps are. I would suggest that the bowl could be a bit bigger which might make it easier to press down. The idea is to have a thinnish, evenly spread layer if possible.

I've just remembered this video posted on Shavedash. It might help with my explanation a bit.

This is what it looks like.

View attachment 1084747

Looks like you did what you could with this sample, it might crumble a little when you load up but you’ll get a few good lathers out of it. You’d most likely just get annoyed trying to load up from that thimble it came in and toss it, at least this way you will get some idea of what the soap is like.

Well, I lathered it up. Not impressed with the soap sample. Lacked the slickness I prefer. I will probably use it one more time before it will be used up.

Top Bottom